Titanicus (speed) painting help needed

Hi,

With the upcoming Imperialis Legions, I just invested ina few planes and almost full range of titans (except warmaster). I try to magnetize warhounds and above.

But when it comes to painting, I'm as bad as worried. My main goal is playing: I'm not fond of painting. So, I'm trying to figure out how to speed paint my titans.

I need some advice.

I fully assembled the tiny ones (cerastus questoris and porphirions) but I didn't aseelble the carapaces on the bigger ones.

Color scheme : red and black (dunno the name of this)

Q1: what is the most efficient undecoating the chassis? I'm hesitating between full black then slapchop with leadbelcher OR fully leadbelcher coat with nul oil. 

Q2 same question for the little ones that are fully assembled

Q3: what's about the carapace's pieces?

Q4: what is the red to use?

Q5: I also have the full set of speedpainting 2.0 from army painter: any use for this?

thank you in advance.

I'd prime black then slapchop the leadbelcher as tidy or as messy as you want - if its tidy you could line highlight then wash, or if its messy you could drybrush highlight, or not both er highlighting at all because the eye will be drawn to the coloured plates.

If your carapace trim is going to be silver too then I'd probably do a heavy leadbelcher drybrush all over the mini, a drybrush highlight of runefang over the carapace edges, then wash the skeleton with nuln oil and wash the trim with something like agrax for a dirty look or sepia/flesh for a ruddy look.  That way your trim and skeleton don't look like the same colour. 

For red I'd use Mephiston Red as it has decent coverage over black (two coats should do), and the lighter red paints are a nicer highlight on mephiston than khorne red, IMO

Sounds good, here’s an alternative:

body: *spray* leadbelchers, Nuln Oil wash (very quick, add extra highlights or pick out pipes in brass if you feel the need).

plates: *spray* liberator gold. Highlight trim if you want, could be messy drybrush.

now choose the speed paint closest to a pillar box / candy apple red and paint the panels inside the trim. You now have metallic red with a little shading perfect for Legio Honorum.

you can then add the odd black stripe of panel if desired but full red is ok for Honorum I feel.

Then wash the rivets and line the edge of panel where it meets the trim with Agrax.

you have great definition, contrast, highlights and shading - and with very forgiving techniques. The speed comes from 2 metal sprays though. So some cost involved.

Yes although I agree with @Valkyrion it’s good to find a way to make the trim a different silver from the body. Maybe by choosing highlight/shade differently.

red over silver can work for metallic red but you might want to go solid red at that stage.

if you want argument for gold: 

443px-LegioHonorum_Warlord.png

Edited by LameBeard

Trim does tend to be gold. I've done some engines where I sprayed the armour plates gold on their sprues and painted in the colours. It does save time, though inevitably I found I had to go over the trim again. Still easier than working from scratch.

So basically build the skeletons and spray black/leadbelcher, adding either slapchop metal and/or nuln oil wash. Paint plates separately and then assemble.

There are a few plates that'll inevitably be attached to the skeleton, so you have to paint those "properly".

For Speed I spray black and drybrush Iron Warriors. Then for a Wash I have a pot of premixed Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade then slap that all over. Once that's dry I'll drybrush with Leadbelcher and then a lighter silver on extreme highlights.

In terms of armour plates, it depends on the colour. My White Titans I have started to spray the plates separately. Darker colours I would just stick the plates on and do over the Iron Warrior base coat. If you're doing Honorum then I'd probably do the plates separately and use a red spray. Then do a wash on them.

If you're after a quick way of doing gold. Nazdreg yellow (contrast) over silver is quite effective. Or Runelord Brass, Agrax wash and Cryptek highlight.