40k Phobos = 30k Seekers?

I'd not considered that, but I think you might be on to something!

Will the Phobos arms fit the mark VI bodies and shoulder pads? I have a feeling that the 40k phobos stuff has a bigger than average shoulder because they don't put a pad on it, but I may be wrong. 

Experimental helmets would be fine, (or the reiver skulls for a traitor vibe)

1 hour ago, Valkyrion said:

I'd not considered that, but I think you might be on to something!

Will the Phobos arms fit the mark VI bodies and shoulder pads? I have a feeling that the 40k phobos stuff has a bigger than average shoulder because they don't put a pad on it, but I may be wrong. 

Experimental helmets would be fine, (or the reiver skulls for a traitor vibe)

The right shoulder pad on phobos armor is noticeably thicker than typical space marine arms and won't fit the standard pauldrons without some serious filing or snipping. Their left arm is compatible, though, since the pauldron is the same size minus the tiny cutout (which a handful of firstborn pauldrons have shared, actually).

The infiltrator helmets and occulus bolt carbines would work quite well for seekers.

Edited by Squark

This is a pretty common conversion I’ve seen online and it looks okay when well executed. The capri pants silhouette is similar to some of original rogue trader metals. This is comes from the same place as all the Primaris to heresy conversions - they’re just a bit too big. That’s can be solved with careful conversion and bulking but you run the risk of throwing off the whole model if you get that wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, Valkyrion said:

It might work better with some legions than others, but what about building a reivers or infiltrators kit up to the body, then putting on 30k arms, heads and back packs?

Experimental or prototype armour maybe?  

Or is it just too different to pass?

Rivet counters might complain, but I think the idea has potential. Personally I'm not enamoured with the Phobos legs, so I would fill in that gap they have or straight up replace the shins. It all depends on how much cutting and filing you're willing to invest into the project. It also depends on how bothered you are about some details - details that maybe nudge the unit towards looking a little more 40k than 30k. I would say that with a few changes a unit based on Reivers can look like a very nice unit that 'fits' into 30k.

One thing - I did the opposite and tried to use Eliminator arms on my MKVI-derived Recon Squad, and the Primaris arms are actually bigger than normal marines, it was quite noticeable to me and really threw the proportions of those models off, which led me to scrap that iteration of the project. So if you use 30k plastics for the body, I would recommend keeping standard marine arms, or you risk having gorilla armed models. If you use Primaris bodies, the 30k arms will probably still look fine imo.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:30 PM, Valkyrion said:

It might work better with some legions than others, but what about building a reivers or infiltrators kit up to the body, then putting on 30k arms, heads and back packs?

Experimental or prototype armour maybe?  

Or is it just too different to pass?

They are too big to pass and on a personal note I think that Phobos armors are one of the worse models GW has every made. Starting with the sandals, ending with the ceop top to show artifical abs like 80s body builders at muscle beach. 

Some parts and bitz could work though.

2 hours ago, StratoKhan said:

One thing - I did the opposite and tried to use Eliminator arms on my MKVI-derived Recon Squad, and the Primaris arms are actually bigger than normal marines, it was quite noticeable to me and really threw the proportions of those models off, which led me to scrap that iteration of the project. So if you use 30k plastics for the body, I would recommend keeping standard marine arms, or you risk having gorilla armed models.

Haha yes.

2 hours ago, StratoKhan said:

If you use Primaris bodies, the 30k arms will probably still look fine imo.

But then the models end up being 1.5 times bigger than everyone else  

16 hours ago, Noserenda said:

It can certainly work if done well, trying to judge a conversion is "appropriate"  before its made is a bit of a stretch unless you are like, trying to base the model off grots or something :) 

sure it could be done, if you cover up everything that makes a phobos marine a phobos marine. like how Doghouse used to make Chaos warriors into marines. but the title phobos = seekers is simply a no