How will Sternguard and Vanguard Vets be integrated into the Dark Angels?

Helias_Tancred

Hail Sons of the Lion,

The subject line says it all.

First off, one of the cool things about the Dark Angels are the presence of their "Company Veteran" squads in each company. In 10th they removed them as a unit with rules. Boo. But if I were back playing my Dark Angels collection, I'd do several things. First off "company veterans" would never go away. They are as much a unique element of the chapter as Crusade Squads are to the Black Templars. I'd run primaris sternguard as per their rules of course, and models, but I'd refer to them as company veterans. They'd be at the company level. Same for vanguard veterans if the rumors are true and their primaris version comes out soon? I have a feeling that when the Dark Angel codex comes out and the revamping of the line happens, that there will be a primaris kit that brings the company veteran look (robes and hoods+ other chapter iconography) to the sternguard and vanguard units. Theres no way in the warp that I'd put those units in the Deathwing, like how they are in other chapters. No way. It's questionable enough that Bladeguard are in the Deathwing. I sorta liked the idea that the Deathwing is all terminator armor, that was always their thing and a special knack the Dark Angels had, being able to field a 100+ full terminator armored first company. 

While I do really like the new Sternguard models, I don't think I'll be planning lists with them included anytime soon.

Instead I will be waiting for the actual Codex to see how things develop, and then see if I can make a nice squad of DA vets instead, possibly with the usual bling.

I haven't even thought about Vanguard, and I'm waiting for the rumoured reveal of jump pack assault intercessors before I consider anything on that side.

Then again, I haven't used Bladeguard at all until now, and mine are definitely not Deathwing. Individuals may have been. Back in the old days, you know? ;)

Same here, I have 10 PA Veterans that can't fit to counts as any of the Company Veteran alternatives like Van/Stern/Blade Guards.

I'm not betting they will become available in next years codex, but maybe I'll be surprised. 

And I still support the idea that everyone in the First Company wears TDA.

I have a set of the new Sternguard, and a whole tackle box full of sorted Dark Angel bits, plus two mostly complete Ravenwing sprues stored on my hobby shelf. If I could do Green Stuff robes I would do that to them (not skilled with sculpting sadly). Currently I was looking at them and wondered how I could make them into Company Veterans within my skillset and resources?

Back when I built Bladeguard Veterans for my Dark Angels I based them in Zandri Dust, my primer/base for doing Deathwing. I've often had thoughts about re-doing them in Caliban Green and making them part of a Company Veteran squad instead?

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

I always figured that Bladeguard Veterans were the natural equivalents to the Company Veterans in a Greenwing Company. Assuming one wanted to keep the First Company as exclusively TDA-equipped. With Sternguards now, and the possibility of a kit to make them into proper Company Veterans, I am at a bit of a loss myself.

I figure that, for my collection, I will continue ahead with Bladeguard Veterans as the veteran squad of the company, and if and when Company Veterans become available, I might simply play them outside the regular company structure, or inside the company but as a more experienced and renowned battleline squad. 

56 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

That's cool, your army your choice. 

Especially since I'm currently taking the new Sternguard from Leviathan and really kit-bashing them into company veterans. ;) ... I will probably run my Bladeguard and Sternguard together in the same list most of the time?

I just painted mine up as some that were found during the Lion's recovery of marines, and painted them as "forgiven' Or "redeemed" in the pre heresy colours.

Play style wise I wasn't using them right, and they seemed really good. I was only puling dev wounds on natural 6's, but apparently with anti-infantry 4+, those Mortal Wounds would be converting on 4+'s (against infantry) which I was not doing. Yet I still really liked their effect combined with Oath.

Edited by Prot

I plan to paint all that stuff up as Deathwing, if that's where they place them (I assume they will). In my mind, it's rolling back to some of the older art where DW could wear power armor (retconning the retcon?).

More simply though, it starts to make it match the Deathwing formation in 30k, so I'm fine with it rolling that way. That said, whatever floats someone's boat works for me there, as a subject it's not something I'm overly concerned with.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 hours ago, Prot said:

I just painted mine up as some that were found during the Lion's recovery of marines, and painted them as "forgiven' Or "redeemed" in the pre heresy colours.

Play style wise I wasn't using them right, and they seemed really good. I was only puling dev wounds on natural 6's, but apparently with anti-infantry 4+, those Mortal Wounds would be converting on 4+'s (against infantry) which I was not doing. Yet I still really liked their effect combined with Oath.

Yeah I heard they are amazing. I have yet to use them. I was going to turn them into Blood Angels, but then liked the idea of trying to turn them into Dark Angel Company Veterans, especially since the subject of this post has been on my mind since the indexes were released.

Because i am not ready to accept that someone (Roboute?) is messing with the structure of our beloved 1st Company (all hail Termies), i will integrate the Sternguard as Risen (or Redeemed) or whatever they call them.

The Sternguard Datasheet represents the different weapons they collected since their "exile" and they are indeed veterans after whatever time they spend here.

Also along this same topic one could take a DA company veterans squad, and give them shields and a melee weapon and play them as vanguard veterans under the rules right? Hmmm .... Chaplain Asmodai attached to them and riding in a Razorback or Rhino? Nice little melee hammer.

Also we should probably add that it's unlikely Vanguard Vets get included anywhere.   Their "Heirloom Weapon" is just an Asartes Chainsword with +1S:  They lost their main benefit over Assault Marines: Unit wide superior-fight (think Anti-TEQ/Warrior/etc) weaponry.   But they're still priced like they have it.  Right now the biggest difference between Assault Squads and VVs is the VV's make better Pistoleers.  And that is an incredibly niche claim to fame of rather dubious value.  Deep Striking 10 VV with Inferno (Melta) Pistols is - well it's stupid becasue the MAX (not Melta) range on an inferno pistol is 6 and they can't deepstrike within 9.  5 Devs with Grav Cannon in a Pod are cheaper and better shots than 10 VV with Grav Pistols.   Meanwhile your 10 Assault Marines will have 3 PlasPistols and 2 Eviscerators for their actual Close Combat mission. 

Interesting. I think on foot with Asmodai out of a Razorback might be fun as a bully unit. I put this together last night. Dark Angel Vanguard Veterans *cough* Company Veterans. Armed with power swords and chainswords, and storm shields.

Spoiler

IMG_5143.jpg

Edited by Eilio Tiberius