The Evesaran Crusade

Gederas

Originally a small Crusade force sent to reinforce a minor Shrineworld, the Evesaran Crusade met fierce battles in it's birth mission. The world of Evesar was in a small subsector that holds a great deal of history, dating back to the Great Crusade and the darker days of the Horus Heresy. I believe, now, that I should start my logs from the beginning, with information I was able to glean from the, as fully expected, reticent Knights of Dorn from before my own arrival and attachment of myself and my retinue, much to Marshal Garrean's clear annoyance at our presence within his Crusade's small-but-growing fleet.

Private Logs of the Inquisitor Serana Draxys, Ordo Astartes

nRMb58d.png

Edited by Gederas

EVESARAN CRUSADE - FORGE ORGANIZATION AND ATTACHMENTS

COMMAND

Helmut GARREAN - overall commander of the Evesaran Crusade (High Marshal Helbrecht counts-as)

Alessio LUCJAN, the Emperor's Champion (incumbent)

RIKARD (Marshal, Auto-flamer/Power Axe)

Isiah HADREN, Master of the Apothecarium (Primaris Apothecary)
Johannes GÖTZ, Master of Machines (Primaris Techmarine)

RECLUSIAM

MIKHAIL (Primaris Chaplain on Bike)

EMMERICH (Primaris Chaplain)

KNUT (Primaris Chaplain)

LAURENZ, (Primaris Chaplain)

LUCAS, (Primaris Chaplain)

MARSHAL'S HOUSEHOLD

Gregorsz STRAŹYC, bearer of the Banner (Primaris Ancient/Chapter Ancient)

ALEXIUS, Bladesworn Bodyguard to Garrean (Primaris Company Champion)

Johannes GARETH, Castellan (Blanche)

SUPPORT STAFF

FERDINAND, Apothecary (Primaris Apothecary)

VETERANS

ECKBERT, "The Grey", Ancient (Primaris Ancient, sword)

GOTTFRIED, Ancient (Primaris Ancient, bolt rifle)

GOTTLIEB, Bladeguard Ancient

Squad TERANYS- Bladeguard Veteran Squad

Squad BORNEAS - Bladeguard Veteran Squad

BATTLELINE

Squad MACARSIAN- Primaris Crusader Squad

Squad JORAS- Primaris Crusader Squad

Squad MAREK - Primaris Crusader Squad

CLOSE SUPPORT

FIRE SUPPORT

Squad TORMUND, "The Emperor's Searing Eye" - Eliminator Squad

Squad LOREK, "The Armour-breakers" - Eradicator squad

ARMOURY

AXEL, Techmarine (Primaris Techmarine)

(Ballistus Dreadnought)

(Brutalis Dreadnought)

IRA VIRI [current pilot: Dagobert] (Redemptor Dreadnought)

(Redemptor Dreadnought)

(Venerable Dreadnought)

ATTACHMENTS

Serana DRAXYS - Inquisitrix, Ordo Astartes

FLEET ASSETS

Emperor's Ire - Battle Barge

Bastion - Star Fortress (unknown make)

RANK AND ROLE COLOURS

Command: Gold Trim, White Field, Black Cross

Apothecarion: Red Trim, White Field, Red Cross

Reclusiam: Gold Trim, Black Field, Gold or White Cross

Techmarines: Black Trim, Red Field, White Cross

Veterans: Red Trim, Black Field, Red Cross

Battleline: Black Trim, White Field, Black Cross

Close Support: Red Trim, White Field, Black Cross

Fire Support: Black Trim and Field, White Cross

A Note on Heraldry: All Astartes of Initiate rank or higher have their own, unique, heraldry emblazoned upon tilting shields. The exceptions being the Chaplaincy and Vanguard/Stealth elements

Edited by Gederas

And so starts my Crusade's Log. This is my main project going forward. I will update it periodically as I progress in it.

One of the big things that's drawn me to Black Templars is the freedom and "Your Dudes"-ness of them. So my Crusade is going to be quite a varied force (including some stuff that, while not allowed in official canon, I'm going to try and do it as best as I can).

Edited by Gederas

44 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

I see the Celestial Lions crest there, will your crusade include Amy? They are super close with the Black Templars, and could probably be considered a successor chapter of them, given that they got gene seed, ships, and gear from them. 

So the Lions' symbol there is actually twofold. My planned fluff is Garrean was an Initiate>Sword Brother on Armageddon and saw the Celestial Lions' last stand and decided to honour the Templar's younger sibling Chapter with his own heraldry bearing their badge.

The other reason is because the Crusade symbol is actually based on my own family coat of arms, except instead of a full Lion passant, I went with a Lion head that exists in 40k (the only other modification was the addition of the Templar's cross in the bottom right)

In regards to the Lions: No, I'm not planning on having any of them

Log I - GARREAN

Armageddon.

An oddly apt name for such an embattled world. It is here, on that chemical-blasted rock of industry that the tale of the Evesaran Crusade begins. As it was there, on Armageddon, that Helmut Garrean ascended from being a mere Initiate to a Sword Brother, and witnessed the betrayal of the Celestial Lions by their own allies (which, I must note, are not from the same area of the Inquisition as I, the Ordo Hereticus and Malleus can be described as lunatics at best).

From what little I've been able to piece together of Marshal Garrean's history is that the Marshal-to-Be was a youth recruited from a world that can best be described as "feral feudalistic", with small areas of civilization but mostly vast, untamed wilderness and savage, tribalistic people. Helmut Garrean (whom I learned was given a new name upon being claimed by the Chapter), was recruited from these people. Even as a youth, the future master of the Evesaran Crusade was a giant, standing head-and-shoulders above the other feral youths claimed. His ascension to a Neophyte fueled this, with images I was able to find of the carapace-armoured Garrean being as large as a fully-armoured Initiate. Now, following his second ascension through the Rubicon Primaris I would say the word 'Titanic' is an apt descriptor, as the Marshal towers over anyone in the room and is easily the height (if nowhere near the width) of an Astartes Dreadnought.

On Armageddon, Initiate Garrean served with distinction and for his actions would be selected to join the vaunted ranks of the Sword Brethren. It was during these events that he would first meet the remaining Celestial Lions and fight alongside them during the Second Mannheim Gap Siege. The valour and courage of the few remaining Lions impressed the Sword Brother, and after the battle would see him amend his personal heraldry quite radically. Personally, I find the almost sentimental manner he speaks of the Lions of interest, as the Marshal normally is quite reserved and almost unwilling to speak in any manner other than gruff, cold responses.

I sometimes wonder if he wishes to learn of the fate of the Lions, but information transfer between the Rift is difficult at best, and Elara's Veil is past the Circatrix Maledictum, within the Imperium Nihilus. I hope those noble warriors have rebuilt their strength.

Log II - THE EVESARAN CRUSADE

The Eternal Crusader, this is where the Evesaran Crusade would be launched, After High Marshal Helbrecht's chastisement by the Primarch Resurrected, the master of the Black Templars would promote new Marshals to lead new Crusades. Garrean, newly-inducted into the Sword Brethren, would be one of these promoted, for he showed time and again the ability for command. Unlike many, Marshal Garrean would see the new breed of Astartes that Guilliman brought with him, these Primaris, as a blessing from the Emperor Himself. For did He not guide the Primarch and Cawl to create these new warriors? So Garrean would round up others of a similar mindset as he* to become the officers of his Crusade, and with the vessel Emperor's Ire, would go to the Shrine World of Evesar.

It was there, on Evesar, that Garrean's Crusade found it's purpose. Not just as the unending crusade, a blade in the darkness of a cruel and uncaring galaxy. But also a bulwark. It seems that Garrean remembered what He said about His Astartes, and this would define the Evesaran Crusade.

The world of Evesar is a small shrineworld, near the edge of the Circatrix Maledictum. The Evesar Sector, like so many others, had it's history traced back to the earliest days of the Imperium. Evesar itself would weather the Heresy relatively unscathed, being an unsettled planet at the time. This planet would become the base of operations for Garrean's Crusade forces, using the ancient star fortress orbiting Evesar, known to the world as the Bastion, as the Crusade's "fortress monastery" in a sense.

During this time, Garrean's forces would continually aid the different worlds in the Evesar Sector, staving off attacks from Xenos and worse besides. All the while, the Evesaran Crusade's forces would learn, adapt and form stronger bonds. As time went on, the few Firstborn officers in the Crusade would undergo the Primaris Rubicon, coming out stronger and all the deadlier. Those Greyshields whom Garrean took would become fully inducted into the Black Templars' fold.

* Upon looking into Garrean and his other officers, I've noticed major personality and belief deviations compared to the other Templars. Namely their treatment of Psykers, or at least sanctioned Psykers, and especially Astropaths and Navigators.

(Last pure fluff post before models, honest)

Edited by Gederas

On 7/28/2023 at 1:48 AM, Warden-Paints said:

Ooof, great write up. Ok, I strapped myself in, I'm here for the ride. 

Heh, thanks

On 7/29/2023 at 6:38 PM, 9x19 Parabellum said:

Where's the models? Let's see some P&P (plastic and paint)

You mean these models? :wink:

8APLwqV.jpg

HQs

q6FZpFY.jpg

High Marshal Helbrecht

KknVwmD.jpg

cZWa2yR.jpg

TqZnJzN.jpg

Grimaldus

kF1YKs4.jpg

Gpjdfx3.jpg

Emperor's Champion (the aforementioned brother Alessio Lucjan)

LDqJ0pJ.jpg

TDohlAI.jpg

QJsL5Ge.jpg

Marshal Rikard

8moLbDT.jpg

Jfbwz9G.jpg

Castellan Johannes Gareth

7aLFBml.jpg

z4wFm7z.jpg

tbFRygV.jpg

(going to be split up into multiple posts due to image amount)

Edited by Gederas

Squad Macarsian

mdWkPIV.jpg

Left to right: Caspar Theissen, Karol Gazurek, Donatien Deschamps, Orlando Cantore, Stanisław Kmicic, Bruno Suhren, SWORD BROTHER Maurizio Macarsian, ENSIGN Edmond Devaux, Marco Capparelli, Mariusz Nowowiejski, Bodo Tüngen

Squad Joras

kXU78RF.jpg

Left to right: Tadeusz Vacík, Oreste Manzella, Emmanuel Crépin, Dietrich Urbánek, ENSIGN Wawrzyniec Nowowiejski, SWORD BROTHER Joras, Désiré Lapierre, Gustaf Stäglich, Gunnar Streitwolf, Luca D’Acquisto, Hartwig

(note on the above: Somehow Mariusz ended up getting in Squad Macarsian when he should be in Squad Joras, I didn't notice until taking the pictures and putting all the marines away)

Squad Marek

8UVuwm8.jpg

Left to right: Hartmut, Basilio Caparelli, Edgard Andrieux, Jacek Blazkowicz. Hennes, ENSIGN Dominik Sedláček, SWORD BROTHER Marek Traugott, Esmé André, Dušan Semrád, Heinrich Ulex, Cecilio Mantovani, Domenico Marandola

Meatshields Neophytes

kHAAXQF.jpg

mXmRWst.jpg

HSSa1js.jpg

Squad Tormund, "The Emperor's Searing Eye"

eXOwFoC.jpg

I1IFmNP.jpg

Left to right: Piotr Hodała, SWORD BROTHER Tormund, Bronislav Matula

Squad Lorek, "The Armour-breakers"

uJKenDO.jpg

Left to right: Heiner Solbrig, Hanno Stahr, Gregor Stringi
(note: Lorek is not pictured due to I'm waiting on a 3D Printed body)

Squads Teranys and Borneas

VHZy7Vl.jpg

kjOFvy7.jpg

9Rt0Tcy.jpg

Left to right: Havel Matějovský, Jan Pfeifer, Jacek Brzęczyszczykiewicz*, Gringolet Langlois, Guillaume Lasserre, Léon Villeneuve

(Similar to above with Squad Lorek, I'm making Teranys and Borneas from actual BT kits)

* Yes, that's an actual surname and not me just mashing letters. Any of the Polish Fraters can confirm

Edited by Gederas

Now another couple notes for the Evesaran Crusade:

1. Yes, I'm naming every single Marine that's not a Neophyte
  2. (Almost) Every marine Initiate and higher is having their own personal heraldry on their tilting shield. (KILL ME FOR DECIDING TO DO THIS)
  3. I'm going with different variations of the Battlefield Role and Rank colorations for shoulders (which I've added to the breakdown post)

Edited by Gederas

Cool beans! A very nice, consitant and stunning army. I think that you made a great decision with regards to the bases. The contrast between the black infantry and the ivory bases makes the minis pop.

Something that caught my attention was that you decided to, among other things, to use Polish names for your Templars!

2 hours ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

outstanding and beautiful work. A true commitment to stamping out heresy.  I love it!

Thanks! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Brother Christopher said:

Cool beans! A very nice, consitant and stunning army. I think that you made a great decision with regards to the bases. The contrast between the black infantry and the ivory bases makes the minis pop.

Something that caught my attention was that you decided to, among other things, to use Polish names for your Templars!

Yeah, I've learned to always try and either do complimentary or contrasting basing. With Black Templars, "ruined chapel" fit a good theming, so I went with the ruins of white stone temple, and a consistent colour scheme does a lot to tie together three different lines of bases (Txlari Factory's Royal Palace and Dungeon bases and Unreal Wargaming's Ruined Temple).

And yes, Polish names were amongst the first set of names (German, French, Italian, Polish and Czech to be specific) due to wanting to have a more varied force than just "all German or German-sounding names", so I went for more of a general European feel, similar to the actual Knights Templar having members from many different nations of Europe

(that and two of my own heritage's background are represented, Polish being one of the main heritages)

Edited by Gederas

• 1 month later...

Okay update, for the purposes for the Call to Arms, these Knights of the Evesaran Crusade (featuring a guest star Dark Angel and Vindicare of Inquisitrix Draxys')

D9EtV7R.jpg

I say "for the purposes" because I, once again, burnt myself out on painting Marines because I was painting these guys daily since July

On 9/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, Gederas said:

Okay update, for the purposes for the Call to Arms, these Knights of the Evesaran Crusade (featuring a guest star Dark Angel and Vindicare of Inquisitrix Draxys')

D9EtV7R.jpg

I say "for the purposes" because I, once again, burnt myself out on painting Marines because I was painting these guys daily since July

Picked up a DA straggler? Or is that in compensation for the Ophidium Gulf mystery? ;)