The Oppo: Bonehead's Lost, Damned and in all likelihood Disappointed

Bonehead

I have indeed, mate- there's a few of them mixed in with the redemptionists. They turned out to be a little too tall to sit well with the old gw metals, so I never got any more. At this stage I'm kind of glad to be done with the robed models; now I'm looking for stuff that looks good along with scavvies. Mostly going to be doing traitor guard for the next little while though.

Personally, I think the variant on the box (with both battle and demolisher cannons) looks best, but I'm just a guy on the internet so go with whatever you think looks best and/or will work best for you on the table.

Also looking forward to your chaosification - that's always the most exciting parts of these projects.

Posted (edited)

Oh, I getcha. Doesn't bother me cos I don't play the latest versions- can't stand the sheer number of special rules. I've actually gone and built it as an annihilator as can be found in the vraks books and Imperial armour 5e books- twin lascannon and demolisher cannon. I'll get another one sometime and do it as a vanilla one with a battle cannon in the top casemate.

To be completely honest the entire tank's sub-optimal in the old versions too. I just got it because it's 'the' traitor guard tank from the forgeworld books and list. It's got bags of character, which is just going to have to make up for its pretty silly design and terrible rules.

As far as chaosification goes, it's mostly going to be cosmetic. My traitors are mid-stage as opposed to late-stage chaos worship, so it won't be filled with tentacles or anything like that. Certain members of this forum are more than a little bit more skilled than I am at that sort of thing. i'm thinking lashed-together chaos symbols made of barbed wire and copious dirt and rust, coupled with maybe the odd grisly trophy. I built it with hatches closed; although I did stick a heavy stubber on top. I'm having a good think about what kind of stowage should be on it. Packs with suspicious stains, trophy helmets, used shell casings. Ideas would be really welcome. I'm not going full edgelord chaos, so no loyalist carcasses strapped to the front, but a head on a spike....maybe. Anyway, there's time to brainstorm an idea or two: I want to test the paint scheme on an old russ first, and I'm waiting for a turret to be posted before I can do that.

Edited in a couple of photos- didn't have time for any yesterday. Thus:

20240418(7).thumb.JPG.fe7d02edb218d11f3cd354cb534389a2.JPG20240418(6).thumb.JPG.c980dec09e06254029f52a2500895ea9.JPG

Tauroses for scale; pretty useless but there you go

Oh, and I just saw that northstar brought out a set of Stargrave Scavengers the other day. Definitely intrigued; I think they might look pretty decent next to the necromunda scavvies. Any of you seen them?

As I said, suggestions for stowage/debris/trophies will be welcome lads.

Edited by Bonehead

20240423(8).thumb.JPG.4292f67f03671eac43bdf9e77bbf9def.JPG

Got my turret sorted. Somone on FB got fobbed off with a recast. So I picked it up cheap from him: Detail is lacking, but I'm not terribly picky. I can get rid of the dodgy aquilas and repoint some of the other stuff. It'll do. Now I have to decide if I want to use the og demolisher turret or get something newer...

Thanks- pleased to report the buggies now look substantially improved even from that point; weathering powders are pretty great.

I've got a russ with no turret- or had one until this thing arrived. Needed a tank to practise the paint scheme on before moving on to the big one. Got distracted again by finishing the tauroses, but they're done now. I think the next project is scrubbing the several layers of paint off the russ, or rather both russes as I have a pair, both of which have quite a texture to them. One more layer is definitely going too far.

I'm also seriously thinking about how to get another FW turret too, if I'm honest: the og one is pretty crap looking.

20240426(8).thumb.JPG.3d87b4b8de069cf70ac354e50bec6535.JPG

I don't really think it looks good enough next to the vanquisher. I don't think it looks good enough full stop, honestly.

This one though:

20240426(9).thumb.JPG.5fa21729b5f42e56cd6938ea8ce25c21.JPG

That one works plenty good. Sadly, even though I have two of those, they're reserved for my Rogue trader loyalist guard. They're getting converted russ/chimera hybrid hulls, because I honestly just don't like the russ very much anymore. But stick a bunch more armour and a big hat on a chimera and I don't mind it at all:

20240426(10).thumb.JPG.700636670069e3a0b4422f1d01c5414e.JPG

The revised chimera hull is a kit from Blood and Skulls industry and wasn't cheap to get sent over from the us, so I bought two at once. Still not sure if I like the side armour. it's suitably tough looking for a counts-as russ but kind of clunky. I do much prefer the overall look though: the turret just looks much more at home on this hull. To me, at least.

20240426(12).thumb.JPG.311606986f73bf6517de1709ce0c6f50.JPG

Anyway, the two russes are the next sub-project. Scrub off the paint, then two chances to finalise the paint scheme. Seriously though I think I might just have to cut up the one og turret and make it bigger. It's just really bothering me.