New transfer sheet for in-store 40k event?

These where posted over on reddit here. The OP said they didn't know which event they are for but they got them for winning a Combat Patrol match.

Edit:

Seems to be from a new GW Store champs kit according to others in this thread.

There are transfers for the Ultramarines Third Company (Scourge of the Xenos) banners on there, also chapter icons for the Storm Reapers (Axe with two lightning bolts) and Fulminators (Lightning bolt with wings)

CDN media

Spoiler

CDN mediaCDN mediaCDN mediaCDN media

Edited by Matrindur

Not wanting to sound negative, but I have to say it looks like a 3rd party product.  The Ultramarines do not use the gothic script numbers anywhere in their heraldry or squad marking system, they use roman numerals.  There is also no GW branding anywhere on the sheet where new GW products have the name and serial number number/copyright markings on the official sheets. 

That said, this is a lovely sheet of transfers certainly.  I would still buy them if i were doing a 3rd company project.

5 minutes ago, beefeb said:

Not wanting to sound negative, but I have to say it looks like a 3rd party product.  The Ultramarines do not use the gothic script numbers anywhere in their heraldry or squad marking system, they use roman numerals.  There is also no GW branding anywhere on the sheet where new GW products have the name and serial number number/copyright markings on the official sheet.

I think this is correct, but certainly a very cool idea from the store.

14 minutes ago, Muck1ng said:

They're 100% legit and are from the new GW Store champs kit.    (I've got 2 of the kit for our club to use) 

There are indeed - my LGS was showing me them on Saturday and we were discussing options for an event.

Good news for 3rd company then.

Id really like to see a return of all of the chapter specific decal sheets....they obviously still have the digital artwork, it seems silly to avoid such a revenue stream.....Ive still got some blood angels and ultramarine ones left, but sorely in need of restocking!

Just on the thing about the Fulminators and Storm Reapers Chapter Iconography, those have also been used as Campaign Badges in the past as have a lot of the Chapter Icons of the more uncommon Chapters.

It'd be nice if it was an intentional reference to some lesser known/represented Chapters but I doubt that's the purpose of them.

Rik

2 hours ago, Nephaston said:

Be still my beating heart, This is basically part of the old A4 ultramarines sheet from 2014 redone as a campaign sheet.

Yeah, this is a mix of icons from that sheet and a few new ones. Here's a review of the old sheet: https://taleofpainters.com/2015/06/review-new-xl-ultramarines-transfer/

ultramarines_xl_sheet_03.thumb.jpg.68a8c87a252b6a3094f5f99c04a126b8.jpg

The lack of a proper GW copyright/product number is strange and may be a sign of this not being really an official product, though

2 hours ago, lansalt said:

The lack of a proper GW copyright/product number is strange and may be a sign of this not being really an official product, though

I'm pretty sure it's official, they'll have these for an event in the actual Warhammer stores as well.

7 hours ago, Dracos said:

Just a thought … but … because banners don’t make sense for an army the communicates with “modern” electronics?

Anachronisms and pageantry is a key part of 40k's general aesthetic, at least for the Imperium. I doubt the lack of banner transfers is an intentional choice on the part of the studio, but if it is then "it doesn't make sense" almost certainly isn't the reason.

Yeah, we had these in our stores for 9th, I was trying to describe it, and it's exactly this kind of box!

40k OrgPlay Aug1 Image1

3 hours ago, Azekai said:

So… how do you get this? Winning a local tourney or…?

Short answer: just go to your Warhammer Store or FLGS, or call the number in your country on this PDF https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/hUXVgMdt6wMfcYdl.pdf,  and ask for it.  You don't even have to win for the transfers and free swag, you just have to participate.

Long answer: this is such a typical behind-the-scenes marketing thing, in the office politics way.  They WANT to give these out.

Someone at the Games Workshop marketing department is tasked to drive activity, a.k.a. engagement, at Warhammer Stores and FLGS.  So they had meetings and planning and came up with these Organised Play Packs, it's a Party-In-A-Box.  They WANT people to take them and do something to justify the costs.

image.png.866452f4962bbb7ec94160cfad47a9c4.png

So to remind you, Games Workshop's biggest cost isn't making miniatures, it's running the Warhammer Stores, in their terminology "Retail".  "Trade" are FLGSs.  Anything that helps them get more value out of that is worth it.  The idea being that the more we play, the more minis they'll sell eventually.

But we want to play...so our interests are aligned.  We call them "free swag", at work they're "marketing premiums".

Whether you do it at the Warhammer Store, an FLGS, or organising your own event, these marketing guys at Games Workshop just need some kinda "win", like afterwards send them a photo of your players, say you had 12 participants or something.  They just need to show something to their bosses.

So for our store, our Warhammer Store manager ran a Badab War-themed campaign because that was his jam.  He was gonna do it anyway!  But he just did the smart due diligence of sending a request.  He had more swag than active players, so he kinda offered an extra to me.  It was like a pack of secondaries.

In conclusion, with the short answer, just ask.  But you can ask better questions knowing the behind-the scenes.

Edited by N1SB

All great points from N1SB, these are unlikely to be "loss making items" though.

If the WarCry, Underworlds and Kill Teams versions are anything to go by (and I'd imagine they are) then they're billed to the store at somewhere around £50-£60 per Organised Play Kit.

For FLGSs then it's a decision whether to get the kit and charge an entry fee for the tournament or event, for the GW owned stores then I doubt it's optional, but it'll definitely be factored into the individual store's P&L. 

Rik