How do you organise your paints?

Unpacking my paints into their new racks got me thinking about how to sort them. Assuming you don't just throw all your paint pots into a bucket how do you sort them? By colour, manufacturer, type, size of bottle, alphabetical order or something even weirder?

I have old biscuit tins (specifically McVities Victoria) with my paints in. I have one for Vallejo Game Colour, one for new Citadel, one for 1990s Citadel, one for Formula P3, and one for oddities (Metal Colour & DarkStar Molten Metals). 

Within each tin, the paints are organised according to their number where there is one, or colour where there isn't.

I'm migrating to AK paints exclusively. I keep them on acrylic nail polish racks (the stair-stepped ones) on my painting desk, organized by AK part number (thus by color for the most part) -- there are a few paints I use all the time so I keep them grouped together, near at hand.

Edited by andes

I have a small 4 drawer thing that goes under my table. Originally I had them divided into:

1. Colours
  2. Blacks, whites and greys
  3. Washes and Contrasts
  4. technicals

However obviously there are many more colours than others, so it's evolved into:

1. colours
  2. black, white, greys, browns/creams, fleshtones
  3. washes and contrasts
  4. technicals and metallics. 

First by medium

Alcohol, oil or waterbased then group by metallic - non-metallic, then by color hue.

Exception are a handfull of colors i use in nearly any modell like Vallejo Ivory and DARK Sea Blue for example.

I have two (quite) old wooden, two compartment antique cutlery trays with handles that I use for the main part of my paints. One for my Scale75 Artist paint tube's and a couple of paint bottles. And the second one has most of my oil paints and some accessories. Then there's two 4L RUB boxes with what's left of my paint bottles, and they hardly see any use atm.

IMG_1579.jpeg

By colour. And by frequency of use. The more I use it the less accessible.

But as the rack is too small, I also have the shoebox system. It is so efficient for spare pots managment... like this you order the paint you though you need while it was in the bottom of the shoebox.

I have three drawers I use to store stuff (I use Reaper and Citadel paints in the main, with a few specific paints from other manufacturers)-

Main drawer has all my commonly used paints: those that are needed for all my main armies' paint schemes or those that are good utility paints (generally browns/metals)

Second drawer has all the other paints; those that are used rarely or that I bought but haven't tested out yet.

Third drawer has all of my replacement paints; the common paints I use and run out of so often that I keep multiple extras of, mainly stuff like my basing paints, nuln oil/other washes, certain metallics, and a few really common reds/greens that I often use for airbrushing basecoats.

Whatever nice organisation scheme I ever end up arranging my paints into, it usually descends into near madness in short order...

I've one rack of Contrast, one rack of pro-acryl (they've effectively replaced citadel base paints for me), one rack of citadel layers, one rack of air paints in droppers, and one rack of miscellanous in droppers. I then have a toolbox which holds my non-standard bottles; vallejo metal color, inks, flory clay weathering washes etc. Certain key paints like white, black and mediums never leave my painting tray.

I also have a big box of rarely used paints stored elsewhere; I find it *really* hard to throw old paints away. I need to purge some more from my miscellaneous rack (like my army painter paints that I hardly ever use) into there so I can decant a bunch of layer paints into droppers!

Organising by colour kinda works, but I don't get too picky about it as I tend to accumulate paints from my current project in a huddle on my desk. Organising alphabetically breaks as soon as you buy a new paint and realise you have to shuffle half a rack over to accomodate it.

All of my colors are organized similar to the rainbow, and then browns, whites, greys, and blacks, then finally the “flesh tones” of all varieties from pale to dark.  I’ve also got the odd colors at the end, but almost everything fits relatively easily.  I have a separate rack for all my metallics, which are organized from lightest to darkest of silvers, golds, coppers, bronzes, and brass, then to the colored metallics, again by the rainbow.  Contrasts, shades, and tints all sit on the tops of spinning racks or in very small racks of their own.

2 hours ago, Bryan Blaire said:

All of my colors are organized similar to the rainbow, and then browns, whites, greys, and blacks, then finally the “flesh tones” of all varieties from pale to dark.  I’ve also got the odd colors at the end, but almost everything fits relatively easily.  I have a separate rack for all my metallics, which are organized from lightest to darkest of silvers, golds, coppers, bronzes, and brass, then to the colored metallics, again by the rainbow.  Contrasts, shades, and tints all sit on the tops of spinning racks or in very small racks of their own.

I used to have it set up like that when I had a dedicated hobby space but two moves later, I'm working at the living room table lol.