Flight stand protection

Foam.

You can get both the kind where you pluck out "squares" as well as uncut sheets. Start by plucking out the "squares" to allow the bases to fit snugly, then use a hobby knife to cut away additional portions that allow the model to fit in snugly without having [a lot] of room to move around. Uncut sheets that are the same length and width of the cut foam can them be placed on top to protect the models (and you can get these in various sizes and thicknesses). You might even glue the pieces that you removed to the underside of the uncut sheets, making them both fit one way as a lid as well as protecting the tops/sides of the models, though this takes a lot of work. Then be sure to mark the exterior of the container as "fragile" to [hopefully] ensure gentle treatment (never a guarantee, but always worth a shot).

This is how I would do it on the cheap. Line a box with bubble wrap and some crumpled paper. Wrap each mini in soft toilet paper and put them in the box. Fill gaps between minis with more crumpled paper. If you shake the box there should be very little movement inside.

The aim is to ensure enough cushioning that any hard objects don't impact any other hard objects (ie. other models or the box).

If you're employing someone to move your stuff, rather than putting it all in your own car or whatever, consider insurance.

5 hours ago, Cactus said:

This is how I would do it on the cheap. Line a box with bubble wrap and some crumpled paper. Wrap each mini in soft toilet paper and put them in the box. Fill gaps between minis with more crumpled paper. If you shake the box there should be very little movement inside.

The aim is to ensure enough cushioning that any hard objects don't impact any other hard objects (ie. other models or the box).

If you're employing someone to move your stuff, rather than putting it all in your own car or whatever, consider insurance.

I’ve got a bunch of packing peanuts so I’ll do that

I won't buy any GW product that has one of those flight stands anymore. 

As a general PSA, when wrapping up minis for postage (ebay sale, for instance), individually wrapping each model in bubble wrap and sellotaping it shut will lead to more damages than having loose models and bubble wrap layered in a box like lasagna. 

Wrap up the expensive resin by all means, but pointy plastic gets caught in the bubble wrap and breaks as you try and cut it free from its bubbly tomb. 

The current GW cases are pretty good generally for packing most things but inceptors are a special case generally for how fragile they are on the stands. If you take a lot of care and give them plenty of room.... you're just as likely to break them off the stand in some other way.

I got so fed up of mine breaking off the stand/re-gluing that I magnetized it instead. Works perfectly to separate the two and no issues with breaking any more. 

I just wish I'd done it earlier to actually recess the magnet on the marine then paint over.