How is the legends news effecting you?

I was going to run my ten man assault marine w/jp squad with my Blood Angels, and going to run my Dark Angel squad of them too. I was going to put Ezekiel with a command squad, ditto for Tycho with my Blood Angels. Speeders, not really at all. When I run Ravenwing units its Sammael and Black Knights. I never run my Blood Angel Typhoons. Grey Knights got screwed from it since their only Techmarine option is the firstborn one, and there's no other servitors in the game atm.

Overall I'm okay, but I see where it can affect others more.

But I also knew that when primaris were first released in 8th edition, they were THE future of the space marine line. The firstborn marine kits would eventually go away. That was 6 years ago. I credit GW with waiting for the time they did before seriously beginning the process. 

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

For me it is irritating but tolerable. I will need to repurpose my Assault Squads I suspect but I am going to wait and see what happens before I do anything. I may run them as VanVets but I may run them as Primaris Assault Marines instead if Valrak's rumours pan out.

I am running my Firstborn Sternguard as just Sternguard since I like the models and I won't bother replacing them with the Primaris version.

Genuine question: For those of you who are saying you've "lost points or models" are you tournament players? Do the people you play against demand Tournament Rules at EVERY game? 

I ask because the Legends units have brand new Rules that are balanced (I use that term loosely) to everything else via the new Edition Indexes. Outside of Tournaments, there's no reason to not use these units, even GW via WHC have said as much.

2 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Genuine question: For those of you who are saying you've "lost points or models" are you tournament players? Do the people you play against demand Tournament Rules at EVERY game? 

I ask because the Legends units have brand new Rules that are balanced (I use that term loosely) to everything else via the new Edition Indexes. Outside of Tournaments, there's no reason to not use these units, even GW via WHC have said as much.

@Grotsmasha Hey grot, I think this is pretty much a yes across the board at all of the FLGS locations where I live.

People who don't really play and just hobby are either selling their legend models, or giving them to people. The most notable is one of my friends is a Dark Angels player, and he has a Legion specific contemptors he bought for his army before they OOP'd them. Now he's said he can't use it. The same thing goes for the HH stuff he bought for 40k. He has no desire to change his stuff or play/invest in 30k.

All three of the most frequented establishments here mostly play tournament lists with BCP. The GW store, while not caring if you play legends or not, has a player base that simply doesn't include legend models and usually ask that you not bring them, because they want to play tournament circuit rules.

There is a small group that play crusade, and for that I think they are a 50/50 on legend models. I'll have to dig deeper and ask to verify. This is just my experiences so hopefully this isn't the norm.

4 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Another Question: Are the Legends units included in the physical datacards?

I mean, these ones were, because they were index units and they already released those cards.  Will they be in future datacard releases?  I expect no.

I don't own a single unit that's going away besides a First Born librarian, so i'm not majorly worried either way.  I do own quite a few BA Tacticals (Like, 40 of em), so when they eventually depart, I will revisit my feelings, but ultimately, for the past 6-7 years, those first born kits have just been the source of extra bits to slap on my Primaris stuff, which is also, without a doubt, better looking, better proportioned, made better, and (Because I'm better at modelling), built better than any of the firstborn stuff that came out before it.

So I'll probably just shatter all of those old firstborn, harvest the bits and bobs and helmets and shoulderpads that I want, and consign the rest to the recycling center.  They're toy soldiers, I didn't buy them as an investment, I didn't buy them expecting that I'd even still be interested in the game 10 years later.  But here we are, still going strong, still enjoying the hobby, still enjoying the universe.

Maybe I'll keep one squad as a memento, or maybe a squad sarge with his old school back banner, but overall, see-ya to the first born line.  You didn't deserve to die, and we all pretty much would've been fine with just firstborn forever, but Corporations suck and make wrong choices.

Semi off-topic; I wouldn't mind if GW retconned the primaris thing and just made all Space Marines, Space Marines again.  Don't get rid of the new Primaris sculpts or anything, but just start releasing old style helmet packs and being like "Oh yeah Tzeentch did a funny and put the entire galaxy into a brain fog where they thought there were two breeds of space marines, but nope that was just warp trickery!" and we just pretend Primaris wasn't a thing and we have all these cool new beautiful units that can start getting the layers of grime added to them that are missing and boom, everyone's happy.  Forget this whole dual class thing happened; if someone wants to play a tactical squad, :cuss:ing rip it bruh that's awesome.  Do you want to do Intercessors?  Also sick!

Could even like keep Intercessor's ability as it is, give Combat squads back to Tactical Squads, and thereby now have two Battleline units that can all be of whatever size dude you want but have their own niches for how they operate in the game. Obvious wishful thinking, but it could work, and I think would cut down a lot of the grumbling that we see.

But that would definitely cut into profit margins, and GW is a business, so that's not gonna happen.

5 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

For me I once again don’t have any regular opponents to know if they’re cool with legends due to a move, so for a while until I find regular opponents to get to know.

I painted 3 attack bikes last year. I might try to run them as ATV's, similarly to how they say that bikes can be ran as outriders. 

My ironclad dread is part of my Call to Arms vow... I think it's going to be pushed back until everything else is painted while I wait for the codex to drop. 

I might see if Grotsmasha will let me sub out a redemptor if time gets close. 

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

For me I once again don’t have any regular opponents to know if they’re cool with legends due to a move, so for a while until I find regular opponents to get to know.

I enjoyed the game more when I started playing with the same players regularly. It was a situation of where we were all mostly on the same wavelength for 40k and the balance issues between factions became much less of an impact over time. 

I have a lot of old models. I would probably NOT have used them alongside the newer stuff anyway. Might try to sell them on, must be some players who would like them, maybe for Horus Heresy.

The biggest thing I felt when I read all the data cards was a little envy. I love how many options there used to be.  I'd love every HQ to be available in every armor. Full command squad, including an Ancient, on bike. Full command squad, including Ancient, with Jump Pack! THAT is how it should be. I can't field a full Gravis Company with Gravis Lieutenant, Chaplain, proper Apothecary, Librarian, and Ancient, and I should be able too.

I was never attached to most of the models which are going away. Naturally, I own 30 assault Marines as a BA player. Thankfully I never invested in the new kit, though they were appealing. But as their usefulness was strongly varying through the editions and codexes I was fine with my old pals. 

Most of the models can still be played as "count as" without much fuzz. Because of that I shed no tears reading the announcement. 

On the other hand I totally can understand ppl with small budget and carefully planned out armies. To those that's a big hit in the groin. 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:20 PM, appiah4 said:

I lost pretty much everything, and I am getting out of 40k for good.

Oh damn...for real, dude? 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:36 PM, BluejayJunior said:

Legends are still usable and encouraged to be used by GW, so I'm going to keep using them as they are.

Super important point this!!!  

1 hour ago, Morticon said:

Oh damn...for real, dude? 

Super important point this!!!  

Yeah, I have zero investment in BA Primaris.  The Primaris I have are painted Imperial Fists and not as a cohesive fighting army, more as a painting side project where I pick and paint what I like.  That is mostly because I think half of the Primaris line looks like :cuss:, but that's not the point here so I digress (sorry!).   As a result as far as my BA are concerned, I lost pretty much everything I have except the Tacticals, Devastators and the Rhino chassis vehicles. 

Could I form an army with these? Yeah, I could - but the writing is on the wall, they'll also be gone sooner or later.  At this point I could either invest into some Primaris or bail out. And I choose to bail out.

To elaborate, investing further into the Primaris line feels like a bait and switch. I think the entire current Primaris line is interim. In other words, they have been designed to initially not step on the oldmarines' shoes.  It's pretty evident to me, from where I stand, that as the oldmarines models continue to get retired, the Primaris line will change and adapt to fill in their gaps.  As a result, I think the people currently re-investing into Primaris will find themselves re-re-investing in a few years time.  It is a great business plan for GW, but a very anti-consumer one, and I would feel like an idiot if I paid money to support it.

On the other hand, I've been enjoying collecting, painting and more importantly playing Infinity for over a year now, and I don't see myself enthusiastic about anything concerning 40K anymore.  I will finish painting my remaining BA models as a swansong (mostly 2e pewter models and a few vehicles) to post up here and on my insta, and I'll eventually finish up my (now defunct) army that has been 20 years in the making.  It will be a display piece,  I will gaze upon it from time to time and remember the good times I had.  That's where I stand.

Edited by appiah4

For stuff like assaults, chances are it’ll be the same sort of deal as sternguard and your old models will likely still be just fine.

think we need to see what the actual codex options are and what the new units getting released are, whilst it hasn’t affected me directly, I’d like it if things shake out so most of the existing models people have are still perfectly usable via direct replacement style units (essentially no different from the last assault squad update is my hope, just new tacticus or whatever models but not invalidating the old ones people already have )