Index Cards Update

Apokalypsi

Shame they didn't amend the Wulfen Hammer, as it seems a little bit of an odd outlier, but maybe that could come in September?

Thank Russ our veteran scouts actually have the same wounds as the newer ones from other chapters, was partly worried they'd say 'because battle injuries' or some such as aa reasoning for that. Hope to get some use from them at some point :)

I think that Wulfen got the short end of the stickhammer for the same reason as VanVets. There is such as discrepancy between the power levels of the different weapon options that they could not accommodate them under a single price, particularly when you factor in the 4++ of the Storm Shield as well.

One of the few units that has retained its weapon flexibility is the Blood Angel Death Company who can still swap out a bolt pistol and chainsword for anything up to a Thunder Hammer. The crucial difference seems to be that they don't have access to Storm Shields. So either units get a range of melee weapons or they get consolidate heirloom weapons and a Storm Shield option.

I can see that being the case. Claws and THs are at the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd like to see the claws get a LC profile and the hammer/shield get no less than a MC weapon profile. Not sure if that would work with the points though if your theory is correct.

I’m not  sure they’re worried about the discrepancy in power levels between weapon options. If you look at shooting options there’s a lot of discrepancy. For example a Long Fangs squad- a heavy bolter isn’t balanced well against the output of a lascannon for the same points. Wulfen may have gotten hit for the discrepancy but I think there are other reasons. I think it’s more likely GW changed them to nerf close combat. It’s their directive this edition. That and they lacked creativity on how to manage Wulfen. Death company keeping thunder hammers seem to be an exception to the rule.

If they were worried about discrepancies between weapons options they need (and should) bring back points for the different options. Maybe that will be something we see when we get codexes. 

Overall I’m happy they fixed the clear mistakes in the index. Hopefully they revisit our index before too long. But I doubt it.