Scarab Swarms: useful unit or just neat basing material?

N1SB

Unless you plan to buy more scarabs and expand beyond 3 models, I would consider basing. I did both, but to be fair I had a pile of scarabs. I don't get crazy with basing in general, but  I found adding a scarab every once in awhile to certain models looks good. I made a point to sprinkle in a couple on my spyder bases.

But then again....the way GW modeled scarabs makes it somewhat difficult to seperate them individually. I had to get super surgical and use green stuff to fill in certain parts.
My 2 cents anyway. 

With another three bases, they’re great. They can’t hold objectives without a Catacomb Command Barge buffing their OC, unfortunately, but they are fun little mortal wound bombs, if chaffier than they used to be. 

at three, though, they’re too small to be effective beyond small games. 

Most Necron players will wind up with a surplus of scarabs- every Warrior box comes with 3 and you usually want a couple of full 20-man bricks of Warriors to cover all gaming options, so getting 12 bases is going to happen. Right now scarabs aren't nearly as useful as they used to be in 9th because they can't hold objectives, but they are still good little annoyances to tie up the enemy every once in a while. Its hard to recommend using them as basing material unless you have a few already, as they are units that you can use in the game regardless of their utility. 

• 3 weeks later...