Countering heavy firepower

Ultramarine vet

So I have played a few games of 10th. So far, I am really not having a good time with it. There seems to be no point in taking standard infantry anymore, and so I usually see tanks and heavy weapons all over the place. Especially against Necrons, I mostly just see doomsday arks, doom scythes, monoliths, void dragon, etc. 

I don't seem to have an answer for it. I struggle to get through the 4+ invulnerable saves of the arks, and then they blow me to pieces. Along with the doom scythes. My infantry were completely useless. Lmao.

I want gladiator lancers, but I literally can't find them anywhere. Not online, and not at my local game stores. My only standout anti tank is a 6 man squad of eradicators and that's it. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should do?

Tough call. In their usual style, GW have over-buffed vehicles after 2 editions of making them weak. Welcome to Tankhammer 40k.

Now, for some slightly more constructive advice, Objectives win games, not just kills so there is room for infantry if you can keep them alive. Librarians for a 4+ Invulnerable save are a good start. Scout Snipers cannot be targeted outside 12" and neither can Phobos units led by a Librarian. Field a handful of these units and your opponent won't be able to nuke them from a distance, they will need to commit something to get close. Then you can pounce on them with your Eradicators, Terminators etc.

Also, try a couple of squads who don't care if they die. Intercessors are cheap and have the Objective Secured rule meaning once they have claimed an Objective,  you continue to score it unless the enemy comes and occupies it. Again, tanks can't do this by sitting back and shooting.

Lastly, look at ways to buff your durability. Smoke and Armour of Contempt are handy stratagems to blunt your enemy's firepower.

Haven't played yet... so I don't know with first hand experience.

Watched a great battle report on winters seo channel featuring Dark Angels (tri-wing) and Necrons. The had much more firepower in the list between the DDA and Lokhust Destroyers (heavy and regular), but the DA were about to pull it off, in no small part of the ability for intercessors to hold objectives enough after getting off of them. From watching I don't get the feeling that infantry don't have much of a purpose.. the intercessors were huge! And yes, the Dark Angels army was mostly decimated by the end, but they racked up a whole lot of points over the game. 

If you like watching batreps, check it out. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

• 2 months later...

I put this in another forum, but it applies here as well:

- Take infantry with a plan for survivability and how/when they are deploying on to the table. Some units have stealth, some get invulnerable saves and/or feel-no-pain. If they don't have that, than transports are an option. Additionally, any unit can be placed in to strategic reserves, which then gives you the choice of where and when you deploy them, so they at least get a chance on the table before being destroyed. The key point is that T4 / 3+ / 2W profile will not save you by itself.

- Target Saturation - build lists with enough threats that they can not easily target all threats. This usually means building 2-3 units of each major capability if your battle-plan relies on it. So, 2-3 ranged anti-tank, 2-3 anti-infantry, 2-3 heavy assault. The redundancy makes you far harder to counter.

- Target Priority - If your army relies on infantry, prioritise killing their anti-infantry. If you rely on tanks, target their anti-tank. Killing off their big counter-units will give you far more room to play to your strengths.

Hope some of this helps.