++Community DIY chapter - Gaol Wardens++

Minigiant

This might go against some of the ideas established so far, but what makes the most sense in my mind is that the Chapter has a certain level of physical separation from the prison, both for security reasons and for plausible deniability.

Maybe the in-universe semi-official story for those who are in a position to do basic investigation into the situation, is that the Chapter at some point swore an oath to the Inquisition/Relevant Inquisitors/The Prison Administration, to provide some level of protection and oversight of the prison and sometimes assisting in bringing in prisoners (Chapter could even form specialized "Kill"-Teams from time to time for this purpose). The Chapter would therefore have a permanent presence at the prison, but most of the Chapter specific facilities would be off-site, or even off-world. 

If so, then another idea presents itself; a contingency plan. Perhaps the entire prison is rigged with explosives. Should the worst happen, they could trigger an explosion, and the Chapter could just leave on their fleet.

Alternatively, the official story is that there is no prison. Nope, no prison, just a Chapter homeworld, nothing to the see here. If so, than the prison would have to be either made by the Chapter/Inquisition, or the original facility is unknown to the rest of the Imperium for some reason. I think the prison could be quite the ancient facility. Its true origin might be unknown, but I can see it serving as an actual prison for a long time, and then covertly taken over and repurposed by the Inquisition at some point for their experiments.

Thinking about this brings up another thought. If the demon host containments have an effect on Chaos powers, the prison would be an extremely high value target for the Chaos Gods, right? What prevents them from sending everything they have at the Oubliette? Is the Oubliette somehow difficult for the Chaos to locate? How?

Maybe the Oubliette is a fleet based prison complex, so it can flee? Through the Warp!?!?! Would that even work :blink:

Anyways, I think the prison should be for all manner of inmates, who are screened for their potential as demon hosts, IF its a known prison. If not, than the Chapter should focus on creating demon hosts, nothing else, IMHO.

Edited by Codex Grey

Maybe the Oubliette is the local =][= Conclave's standard prison for things too important to kill/destroy or that seemingly can't be killed/destroyed, that also have a hidden area where the imprisoned daemonhosts are kept? An area that only the ones part of the "Tiberian" radicals and the Wardens given duty there know about?

Maybe the Gaol Wardens are "openly" the local =][= Conclave's Chamber Militant (a bit like the Stormwatcher) and function as the guard not just for the 'hosts but the whole facility? With only the "Tiberian" inquisitors fully knowing their radical belief and esoteric knowledge? 

To me the Oubliette feels like something that should be very secret. Maybe hidden on some unimportant world (planet, moon, asteroid or similar) in the middle of nowhere?

If the world the Oubliette is on is a Death World (one way or another), or a near one, would it ad to the defences - but maybe take away from other's coming to it, Death Worlds are after all often full of interesting stuff and lots of people in the Imperium (like Rogue Traders) ignore stay-away- beacons and reports about "nothing of interest there, just death" since they think they know better and will find what's interesting.

Or maybe it's hidden beneath the Wardens' fortress-monastery? That would create an extra, and possibly open, layer of defences from outside attacks.

Or maybe the Oubliette is in a way hidden in the open, by being on a prison planet, secretly beneath one of the prison-complexes?

7 hours ago, Codex Grey said:

This might go against some of the ideas established so far, but what makes the most sense in my mind is that the Chapter has a certain level of physical separation from the prison, both for security reasons and for plausible deniability.

I don't know about this, since if the "game's upp" then any kind of plausible deniability is out of the window. But maybe the chapter's fortress-monastery is located somewhere else so not risk being influenced by any possible wispers from the 'hosts?

But it could still be "near" after all, maybe it's on the moon of the planet hosting the Oubliette? Or the other way around?

10 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

The use of wearing chains on their armor has very very interesting implications. There is one notable loyalist chapter that practices wearing chains, chaining weapons to their arms and legs. The Black Templars. But Sigmisund was not the inventor of this practice, because he learned it from somewhere else: World Eater fighting pits.

I was actually more thinking of chains hanging from their armour and belts, not their equipment being chained to them.

10 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

If the Gaol Wardens are wearing chains and shackles, it may indicate an ancestral link to the Black Templars and Imperial Fists. But it may also hint at a less pleasant possibility as to their origin as well...

By that line of thinking are the Star Phantoms DA successors since they use their heraldry system, the Blood Drinkers can't be BA successors since they don't use any of the BA heraldry, the Sons of Jaghatai are secretly Alpha Legion successors since they are purple (the AL original colour) and use an alpha as part of their symbol, etc.

6 hours ago, Minigiant said:

Let's concentrate on establishing the core elements of the chapter, its history, culture, and defining features, and then we can explore how to seamlessly integrate names or not to further enrich the narrative.

We see things diferently here since I think names are one important part of a chapters culture, or at least how they read by people reading about them.

6 hours ago, Minigiant said:

Regarding the color scheme and markings, the discussions are fascinating, and it's clear that each proposed scheme has its merits. However, it is my sentiment that we should be cautious not to rush into these details too quickly. The foundation of the chapter's character and its core concepts should take precedence. These aesthetic elements can certainly be refined later through polls or competitions.

I say we can do both. And stuff like discussing the visual can guide us to concepts about the chapter's character.

9 hours ago, Gamiel said:

We see things diferently here since I think names are one important part of a chapters culture, or at least how they read by people reading about them.

9 hours ago, Gamiel said:

I say we can do both. And stuff like discussing the visual can guide us to concepts about the chapter's character.

I understand your perspective. Collaborative projects however benefit from a more focused and structured approach. While exploring various aspects like visuals can lead to interesting insights, we need to ensure that our efforts remain streamlined to effectively build a cohesive whole.

My methodology is well-considered and promising. Trust in this approach and it will help us navigate through the different stages of crafting the Gaol Wardens' story. By keeping our focus aligned, we can work more efficiently toward defining the core aspects that will give the chapter its unique identity. I'm committed to making this collaboration a success, and I share your dedication in achieving that goal.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch We need another poll please.

Option 1: Oubliette should solely incarcerate daemons in the form of daemonhosts
Option 2: Oubliette incarcerates any and all high value Inquisitorial targets bought to them

On 8/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, Gamiel said:

What about bling? 

We could go as with the Blood Ravens and have them as unblinged up. Or we could go with lots of things hanging from their armour. 

If we want to go a bit more gothic do I suggest kitbashing with bits taken from the Grave Guard and Black Knights boxes.

The Nighthaunt range (to AoS) have lots of chackles, locks, and other items associated with imprison that could be used for bling if we want to go that way. They also have some gothic stuff if we want to go that way also, or instead. 

On 8/5/2023 at 3:49 AM, Minigiant said:

@Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch We need another poll please.

Option 1: Oubliette should solely incarcerate daemons in the form of daemonhosts
Option 2: Oubliette incarcerates any and all high value Inquisitorial targets bought to them

I vote for 2 - with that could one possebility to how they come to their belife come from that they already were the Oubliette's guardians and then heard about the "Tiberian" radicals philosophie

Edited by Gamiel

On 8/8/2023 at 3:26 AM, Gamiel said:

I vote for 2 - with that could one possebility to how they come to their belife come from that they already were the Oubliette's guardians and then heard about the "Tiberian" radicals philosophie

I think you are right. Another written poll it is.

@40k_fan@Felix Antipodes@Codex Grey@Xin Ceithan Let me know your thoughts:

As I said in my previous post

On 8/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, Codex Grey said:

(...)

Anyways, I think the prison should be for all manner of inmates, who are screened for their potential as demon hosts, IF its a known prison. If not, than the Chapter should focus on creating demon hosts, nothing else, IMHO.

So I would wait until we've decided the details surrounding the Oubliette's origin/nature and the Chapter's relationship with the Inquisition.

But if I had to choose now, I'd choose option 1

Edited by Codex Grey

Hard choice.  Option 2 would allow a wider variety of scenarios wrt the Chapter’s activities.  Option 1 gives a more focused role which would allow them to remain blended into the shadows of the Imperium.

I think I prefer Option 1 as it appears to make the Chapter in command of their own activities.  This is supported by the Inquisition but not run by them.  Option 2 makes them appear to be flunkies of the Inquisition, mere gaolers, rather than an Astartes Chapter with its own history and agenda.

I will give it till Wednesday for fairness but here is my answer to this question and keep some momentum alive:

On 8/5/2023 at 9:49 AM, Minigiant said:

My vote goes to Option 2: Oubliette incarcerates any and all high-value Inquisitorial targets brought to them.

I believe this option holds great narrative potential and opens the door to exploring various aspects of the Warhammer 40,000 universe in a rich and engaging manner.

1. Diverse Exploration of Inquisitorial Branches: Opting for Option 2 allows us to delve into the intricate web of the Inquisition itself. The Inquisition encompasses a multitude of branches, each with its own methods, ideologies, and goals. By welcoming high-value Inquisitorial targets, the Gaol Wardens would interact with various facets of the Inquisition, from Radical to Puritan, from Hereticus to Malleus. This interaction presents opportunities to explore the complex interplay between these branches, showcasing the Imperium's multifaceted nature.

2. Dynamic Prisoner Population: One of the most intriguing aspects of Option 2 is the adaptability it provides. As high-value Inquisitorial targets are brought to Oubliette for containment, the prison's inmate population becomes dynamic and diverse. Over time, some prisoners may lose their perceived value, and as a result, the Gaol Wardens might harness their abilities by employing them as daemonhosts. This shifting population offers a fertile ground for intricate plotlines, as the Wardens navigate the challenges posed by both incarcerated individuals and contained daemons.

3. Multifaceted Prison Wings: I'm captivated by the idea of Oubliette housing different "prison wings," each dedicated to holding distinct types of prisoners. The concept of the "Infernal Annex" as the darkest and most mysterious wing is particularly alluring. This approach not only reinforces the chapter's enigmatic nature but also provides us with a canvas to paint various shades of the 40k universe - from political intrigue to daemonology.

By selecting Option 2, we're embracing the intricate complexity of the setting. We're unearthing hidden aspects of the Inquisition and weaving them into the tapestry of the Gaol Wardens' narrative. This choice sets the stage of what I consider the core essence of the chapter's mission: to be vigilant guardians against the ever-present threats of Chaos.

Sorry for the delay… 

I think the last posts of @Felix Antipodes and @Minigiant sum up  the extent of these two options pretty well. And I think it boils down the origin of the oubliette / prison as a fundamental building block as well.

Option 1 looks like it gives more focus to an independent chapter- maybe originating / recruiting from a prison planet and then maybe aquire / are called upon to watch over the oubliette/ daemonhost prisoners? 

Can’t deny that Option 2 has the appeal of diving more into aspects of the setting that are not usually the focus of the Index Astartes. Tackling some of the shenanigans of the local Ordos is tempting…. Of course, opening that can of worms might seriously change the scope of this project, which should be considered. 

I think what we need is a strong character, probably a chapter master to help center the idea of the chapter. Someone who is basically the best example of what the chapter itself is. And what would inspire a chapter master to found a chapter so dedicated to stopping chaos they would make a prison world in the first place?

Also, where would such a chapter even get new recruits from anyway? Planet 'Oubliette' seems to be the only notable planet they hold sway over that I have heard, but it doesn't sound like many good potential recruits are going to be found there.

The winner:

On 8/9/2023 at 3:38 PM, Minigiant said:

As I will use my vote to determine ties, that makes Option 2 the winner. This answers some of @Codex Greyquestion

On 8/9/2023 at 8:33 PM, Codex Grey said:

Chapter's relationship with the Inquisition

In that a prison dedicated to capturing daemons would make the Inquisitiorial involvement be from the Ordo Malleus.

This now should allow us to determine what is the origin of Oubliette?

I have some ideas but a little busy this week so will share them later when I can.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:09 PM, 40k_fan said:

Also, where would such a chapter even get new recruits from anyway? Planet 'Oubliette' seems to be the only notable planet they hold sway over that I have heard, but it doesn't sound like many good potential recruits are going to be found there.

We have not really decided upon where the Oubliette is or it physically relationships with the Wardens' homeworld or recruitment-world (which could be the same place or different worlds).

@Codex Grey and I made some possible suggestions earlier but they are just suggestions, to be used or discarded as we continue with this. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, Gamiel said:

Or maybe it's hidden beneath the Wardens' fortress-monastery? That would create an extra, and possibly open, layer of defences from outside attacks.

Or maybe the Oubliette is in a way hidden in the open, by being on a prison planet, secretly beneath one of the prison-complexes?

A picture that appeared in my mind is a prison world where all the prison-complexes exist in the shadow of the chapter's fortress-monastery, where the prisoners looks away and make the sign of the aquila whenever they see dark shapes moving across the battlements, and when strange flyers land or depart.

With this concept could the prisoner-population, or rather its sons, be the chapter's recruitment stock.

I fully support @Felix Antipodesnotion of placing Oubliette within the Segmentum Tempestus, specifically in the Caligari sector. This setting offers two intriguing threads for the chapter's operations, first it aligns them with the legacy of the Caligari Conclave and its intricate interplay with the Warp, and secondly it is where Tiberius' known story was situated.

Then the idea of Oubliette being an ancient artifact with a history of containing daemonic entities captivates me. I Imagine the Gaol Wardens initially striving to regain control over this powerful relic. The struggle to reclaim their own fortress, coupled with their unique daemon-containment methods, adds layers of depth to the chapter's story. This approach breathes life into the very foundations of the Gaol Wardens, shaping their identity through their interactions with the enigmatic Oubliette.

Additionally, I propose the notion of situating Oubliette in orbit around a Penal World. The idea that the Penal World unknowingly sends their worst prisoners to Oubliette, only for them to be transformed into daemonhosts, intertwines the fates of the chapter and the Penal World in unexpected ways. The family connections to the prison wardens of the Penal World becoming a recruitment source is a clever touch, weaving personal stories and relationships into the Gaol Wardens' narrative.

I second the idea of moving the Oubliette off the planet - especially if the Chapter House is already on the planet itself, towering over the prisoners (which feels positively gothic)

The oubliette (or something that sparks the idea) might be have been discovered as  the Chapter established his expansion over the system, building augur arrays or further defensive positions in- system.  

Maybe they stumbled on something while ice mining an Asteroid field? A sort of containment/ imprisonment or maybe just research outpost hidden somewhere. It doesn’t even have to be xenos, might be a leftover from the Long Dark?

I like the idea of the Oubliette being some sort of orbital - its last line of defence/ fail safe might be dropping it into the gravity well of a gas giant or even a sun! 

Thinking about this, it occurred to me that it might make sense to establish some sort of processing site / (orbital base) on the edge of the system where the prisoners are received and then shipped to the Prisonworld itself - less direct access/ possible escape routes, more control over who goes where in-system - which is as also helpful concealing the Oubliette? 

I've had another intriguing idea regarding Oubliette that I'd like to share with the community:

Imagine a scenario where when a Daemonhunter arrives at Oubliette, seeking the containment of a particularly dangerous daemonic entity, they come bearing a unique form of payment: potential recruits they've encountered on their arduous journeys.

These potential recruits could be individuals who have displayed exceptional qualities or unique skills in their struggles against the forces of Chaos. Recognizing the Gaol Wardens' expertise in dealing with daemons, the Daemonhunters offer these individuals to the chapter, knowing that they could be trained to become formidable Space Marines.This dynamic interaction between the Gaol Wardens and the Inquisition emphasizes the mutual benefits gained from their collaboration. The chapter gains recruits of exceptional merit, while the Inquisition gains a dedicated force capable of containing and countering the most insidious daemonic threats. Furthermore, this practice underlines the notion that every action, no matter how localized, can have far-reaching consequences and influence the fate of individuals across the Imperium.

59 minutes ago, Minigiant said:

I've had another intriguing idea regarding Oubliette that I'd like to share with the community:

Imagine a scenario where when a Daemonhunter arrives at Oubliette, seeking the containment of a particularly dangerous daemonic entity, they come bearing a unique form of payment: potential recruits they've encountered on their arduous journeys.

These potential recruits could be individuals who have displayed exceptional qualities or unique skills in their struggles against the forces of Chaos. Recognizing the Gaol Wardens' expertise in dealing with daemons, the Daemonhunters offer these individuals to the chapter, knowing that they could be trained to become formidable Space Marines.This dynamic interaction between the Gaol Wardens and the Inquisition emphasizes the mutual benefits gained from their collaboration. The chapter gains recruits of exceptional merit, while the Inquisition gains a dedicated force capable of containing and countering the most insidious daemonic threats. Furthermore, this practice underlines the notion that every action, no matter how localized, can have far-reaching consequences and influence the fate of individuals across the Imperium.

This seems to skirt around the fact Astartes recruits are approx between 10-14 years old; not a lot of time to distinguish oneself I feel.  Maybe the ‘gifts’ are meant to be future wardens or daemonhosts?  Or they are actually of the right age group ‘and don’t ask where I got them from’ just accept the gift?

I prefer the idea that their recruits came from the warden class of the penal world that was previously put by other frater.  The dirty secret here being that the Chapter withholds the high mortality rate of the process from them so that they continue to offer up their children for the ‘honour’ of being uplifted.

Gaol Wardens and Inquisitorial Relationship

1. Purpose and Mutual Goals:

• How does the Ordo Malleus view the Gaol Wardens' unique approach to daemon containment and their use of daemonhosts?
    • Are the Gaol Wardens seen as a specialized asset by the Ordo Malleus, contributing to the overall goal of combating daemonic threats?
  2. Collaboration and Interaction:

• How often do representatives of the Ordo Malleus interact with the Gaol Wardens?
    • Do the Gaol Wardens receive direct assignments from the Ordo Malleus, or do they primarily operate on their own initiative?
  3. Intellectual Exchange:

• Is there a level of knowledge exchange between the Ordo Malleus and the Gaol Wardens? Do they share insights, research, or strategies?
    • Could the Gaol Wardens' unique containment methods offer a fresh perspective on daemonic entities that benefits the Inquisition's work?
  4. Resources and Support:

• Does the Ordo Malleus provide the Gaol Wardens with resources, such as specialized equipment, information, or personnel?
    • How do the Gaol Wardens respond to such support, and are there conditions attached to it?
  5. Inquisitorial Oversight:

• Do the Gaol Wardens report to a specific Inquisitor or Inquisitorial representative, or do they maintain a level of autonomy?
    • How does this oversight (or lack thereof) affect the chapter's decision-making and operations?
  6. Recruitment and Allies:

• Are the Gaol Wardens allowed access to the Inquisition's network for potential recruits, or do they primarily recruit through their own methods?
    • Could there be allies within the Inquisition who advocate for the Gaol Wardens and facilitate their interactions?
  7. Mystique and Secrecy:

• Does the Ordo Malleus fully understand the nature of Oubliette and its arcane containment methods, or is it intentionally shrouded in mystery?
    • How does this mystique affect the Gaol Wardens' relationship with the Inquisition?
  8. Conflicts and Tensions:

• Are there potential conflicts between the chapter's methods and the established doctrine of the Ordo Malleus?
    • Could ideological differences or disagreements arise between individual Inquisitors and the Gaol Wardens?
  9. Long-Term Implications:

• How has the Gaol Wardens' relationship with the Ordo Malleus shaped their identity, traditions, and role within the Imperium?
    • Are there potential future developments that could strain or strengthen this relationship?

On 8/19/2023 at 12:51 PM, Minigiant said:

Purpose and Mutual Goals:

• How does the Ordo Malleus view the Gaol Wardens' unique approach to daemon containment and their use of daemonhosts?
  • Are the Gaol Wardens seen as a specialized asset by the Ordo Malleus, contributing to the overall goal of combating daemonic threats?

In envisioning the Gaol Wardens and their interaction with the Ordo Malleus, I see a multifaceted relationship that mirrors the complexities of the labyrinthine Administatrum. Their unique approach to daemon containment through daemonhosts brings forth intriguing dynamics that could shape our narratives in compelling ways.

From my perspective, the Ordo Malleus perceives the Gaol Wardens as a specialized and valuable asset in our ongoing crusade against the daemon scourge. Their utilization of daemonhosts, while unconventional, presents an approach that yields results. However, I imagine that opinions within the Ordos ranks would span a spectrum.

On the conservative end, there might be individuals who harbor concerns about the ethical implications of using daemonic entities, even for containment. This group could view the Gaol Wardens with caution, questioning the fine line between control and corruption.

Conversely, the pragmatists among us would likely recognize the pragmatic value of the chapter's methods. In the face of a relentless tide of Chaos, such unorthodox measures could be deemed necessary, even if they tread along the edge of acceptability.

For the radicals within the Ordo Malleus, I envision a different perspective altogether. These daring individuals might see the Gaol Wardens' mastery over daemonhosts as a source of untapped potential. Their unique approach could open doors to experimental strategies and audacious collaborations that challenge convention and push boundaries.

Collaboration and Interaction:

• How often do representatives of the Ordo Malleus interact with the Gaol Wardens?
  • Do the Gaol Wardens receive direct assignments from the Ordo Malleus, or do they primarily operate on their own initiative?

Interaction Frequency: I imagine representatives of the Ordo Malleus and the Gaol Wardens working in tandem, their paths intertwining when critical daemon containment operations arise. This interaction could involve the transfer of high-value prisoners, strategic interrogation sessions, and even joint investigations into daemonic incursions.

Balancing Assignments and Initiative: One avenue to explore is how the Gaol Wardens receive both direct assignments from the Ordo Malleus and operate with a degree of autonomy. This dual approach would enable them to act swiftly in the face of emerging threats while staying aligned with the overarching goals of the Inquisition.

Dedicated Serfs and Administration: Picture a team of dedicated serfs meticulously managing communications, transmissions, and administrative tasks tied to the prison facilities. This logistical backbone ensures the seamless flow of information, allowing Gaol Wardens to respond promptly to both scheduled and unforeseen developments.

Inquisitorial Representative: Consider the inclusion of an Inquisitorial representative among the Gaol Wardens serfs, a specialist in psychic powers such as mind blanking. This figure plays a vital role in maintaining the security of sensitive information and shielding against potential daemon influence.

Strategic Use of Droids: An intriguing aspect could involve the Gaol Wardens' decision to entrust droids with prison maintenance, thus mitigating the risk of corruption. These droids' inability to record interactions and lack of psychic presence align well with the Inquisition's emphasis on secrecy.

Assisting Inquisitors: Envision the Gaol Wardens stepping in to aid Inquisitors in capturing and containing powerful daemons beyond their individual capabilities. This not only showcases their willingness to cooperate but also highlights their unique skill set and resources.

Intellectual Exchange:

• Is there a level of knowledge exchange between the Ordo Malleus and the Gaol Wardens? Do they share insights, research, or strategies?
  • Could the Gaol Wardens' unique containment methods offer a fresh perspective on daemonic entities that benefits the Inquisition's work?

When considering the exchange of knowledge between the Ordo Malleus and the Gaol Wardens, I see the Librarians as conduits for this knowledge transfer. With their deep-rooted knowledge of the psychic and their connection to the Warp, Librarians would play a pivotal role in shaping operations. Their unique understanding of the psychic phenomena, including daemonic entities, could contribute vital perspectives to our endeavors.

Resources and Support:

• Does the Ordo Malleus provide the Gaol Wardens with resources, such as specialized equipment, information, or personnel?
  • How do the Gaol Wardens respond to such support, and are there conditions attached to it?

One way I see this dynamic unfolding is through the provision of specialized equipment. The Gaol Wardens, as custodians of daemonic containment, could already possess advanced tools within Oubliette's arsenal. However, the Ordo Malleus might offer additional training and insight into utilizing this equipment effectively. From psychic nullifying technology to weaponry engraved with arcane sigils, these enhancements could amplify the chapter's battlefield prowess.

Moreover, the chapter could be entrusted with relics and artifacts purpose-built to combat daemonic forces. These items, blessed by holy rites or infused with anti-daemonic energies, could provide a potent edge against their unholy adversaries. This support could extend the Gaol Wardens' capabilities in a way that aligns seamlessly with their core mission.

A particularly intriguing idea centers around the permission to escort Inquisitors to sanctified locations. Imagine the Gaol Wardens gaining access to enigmatic sites, repositories of ancient lore, or concealed chambers. These sanctified locations, made available through the Inquisition's influence, could contain critical insights into daemonology and strategic advantages against the Warp.

Inquisitorial Oversight:

• Do the Gaol Wardens report to a specific Inquisitor or Inquisitorial representative, or do they maintain a level of autonomy?
  • How does this oversight (or lack thereof) affect the chapter's decision-making and operations?

I envision the Gaol Wardens not reporting to a specific Inquisitor or Inquisitorial representative directly. Instead, their main point of contact for high-level engagements could be a high-ranking Inquisitor who serves as a liaison between the chapter and the Inquisition. This arrangement would grant them a degree of independence in their decision-making while still fostering a crucial connection with the Inquisition.

Due to their close proximity to the Inquisition, I see the Gaol Wardens exercising vigilant self-regulation. They understand the gravity of their mission and the potential consequences of corruption. This vigilance becomes a fundamental aspect of their chapter's ethos. The constant awareness of the thin line they tread between control and succumbing to the very forces they combat serves as a constant reminder of their duty and the need for unwavering dedication.

This delicate balance between autonomy and collaboration, I believe, would significantly influence their decision-making and operations. Their self-imposed vigilance would translate into meticulous scrutiny of their actions and alliances. The absence of direct oversight from a single Inquisitorial figure could lead to the Gaol Wardens relying heavily on their own judgment, while seeking guidance from the high-ranking Inquisitor when necessary.

Writing this without having read what others have said:

* How does the Ordo Malleus view the Gaol Wardens' unique approach to daemon containment and their use of daemonhosts?

My impression of the original concept is that only a small group of "Tiberian" Ordo Malleus' members know of the chapter's approach to daemon containment and use of daemonhosts, and they agreed with the Wardens - similar to the Exorcists and their =][= allies. So they use them as valuable allies, or possibly as useful and powerful but still very sacrificial pawns (or both, a group of inquisitors united by one philosophy may not be united in methods). 

On 8/19/2023 at 6:51 AM, Minigiant said:

Maybe.

If we go with that the Oubliette is something used by the whole Sector Conclave could it be that the Conclave as a group see the chapter as having a main role (in the =][= works) as the Oubliette's wardens (both for threats from without and within), but outside of that treat the chapter as any other, with what means of asking/ordering them for help. Maybe the Conclave members try to get one or more Wardens to help them anytime they go after something they believe will be put in the Oubliette and the chapter is much more willing to help with that then anything else.

Since the "Tiberian" inquisitors know of the Wardens radical belief and practices probably have it much easier to get the chapter to work with them, but at the same time any "Tiberian" mission possibly need specialists, so maybe not just any battle-brother can be seconded (maybe the Wardens are a bit like the Dark Angels and only battle-brothers of a certain experience have been let in on the secrets they use to capture daemons?).

My impressions is that creating daemonhosts is something that usually needs lots of time - finding enough of the daemons true name/similar, any weakness, to prepare a host, to prepare the equipment used in the binding, etc. - (even if I'm certain I have heard about quick-created 'hosts are they likely something only created during desperate circumstances and not that strong as daemon prisons) and the Wardens are probably only used when there is enough to be certain that you will likely succeed in capturing the daemon. If things are done this way are likely the Wardens also used when they need to find out information or resources needed that “normal” elite-acolytes can’t get to.

So, seldom, seen from a standard human's lifetime. But likely when they are called upon they are called upon many time during a short time

When it comes to daemon capturing do I think they usually wait for Inquisitorial requests since the =][= are usually better at finding the esoteric knowledge used to bind daemons (or maybe inquisitor and Wardens usually work together with an inquisitor for a time finding stuff). But if they believe they have enough knowledge and specialist equipment to successfully go after a daemon they probably will do that without first waiting for a inquisitorial approval or team-up since time often is of the essence. The same goes for going after Chaos champions using daemon weapons.

For their "Tiberian" work: yes. 

For anything else: not really, just like normal when it comes to chapters and inquisitors

No idea.

-----‐----------

Continuing later. Need to sleep.

Edited by Gamiel

• How do the Gaol Wardens respond to such support, and are there conditions attached to it?

When it comes to daemon hunting and capturing: Yes

And dito for stuff needed to keep the Oubliette functioning.

No idea regarding point two.

No idea here beside what I have already written.

• Are the Gaol Wardens allowed access to the Inquisition's network for potential recruits, or do they primarily recruit through their own methods?

Maybe. We have not decided on homeworld and recruitmentword, and if those are the same thing or different. But I can see the Wardens having a need for a larger Librarium than normal (and/or have a larger casualty rate among their librerians than other chapter), so it's possible that the inquisitors gift them with psykic capable children to keep the 

• Could there be allies within the Inquisition who advocate for the Gaol Wardens and facilitate their interactions?

I'm not certain what this question is about.

• Does the Ordo Malleus fully understand the nature of Oubliette and its arcane containment methods, or is it intentionally shrouded in mystery?
    • How does this mystique affect the Gaol Wardens' relationship with the Inquisition?

Maybe. We have not decided fully what the Oubliette is after all, or if it was something the Wardens used before their alliance with the =][= or not, or have I missed a decition?

• Are there potential conflicts between the chapter's methods and the established doctrine of the Ordo Malleus?
    • Could ideological differences or disagreements arise between individual Inquisitors and the Gaol Wardens?

Oh, yes. Just look at the Relictors that was working under the guidence of an Inquisitor. Or the comments about the Exorcists 

• How has the Gaol Wardens' relationship with the Ordo Malleus shaped their identity, traditions, and role within the Imperium?
    • Are there potential future developments that could strain or strengthen this relationship?

No idea here since we have not really decided anything regarding their culture, identity, traditions and role - or have I missed a decision?

----------------------------

On 8/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, Xin Ceithan said:

I like the idea of the Oubliette being some sort of orbital - its last line of defence/ fail safe might be dropping it into the gravity well of a gas giant or even a sun! 

Maybe the Oubliette is just within the gravity wall of a star or blackhole, with a fale-safe being to turn of the engine that drives whatever keeps the Oubliette - be it in the form of a space station (of STC-, pre-Imperial, or xeno-origin), carved into an asteriod, Blackstone keep, or other - from falling into the gravity wall to deep?

On 8/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, Xin Ceithan said:

The oubliette (or something that sparks the idea) might be have been discovered as  the Chapter established his expansion over the system, building augur arrays or further defensive positions in- system.  

Are we going with that the Oubliette is something the chapter have found first and the showed their allies? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If we go with the concept of having a Penal World as their home-/recruitmentworld would I like to suggest that we are as subtitle as GW and call it ChâteaudIf, Bagnedecayenne, Iledudiable, Tuolseng, or some other variant of infamus RL prisons.

--------------------------------

What about their heraldry?

Company markings: do they use colours, numbers (what kind?), the DA system, the WS system, a variant of the WS system (like the Wolfspear system), symbols (what kind?), letters (what alphabete? and in what style?)? And where do they place the company markings? For inspiration do this post have a list of possible ways of showing Company belonging.

The same questions regarding squad and battlefield role markings: what kind and where are they places?

Do the marines secunded to watch the Oubliette have special markings? Or maybe they lack markings showing their company, squad and battlefield role?