Hellblasting Impulsor?

Go to solution Solved by CCE1981,

So! Just trying to work with models I have or can proxy. Hellblasters in an Impulsor are fun because you can hurt the sled instead of the squad if you overcharge the plasma guns, which for now hasn’t been nerfed. My question is, can I also stick an Iron Priest/Techmarine in there to heal it up as they go? To make a silly little pocket tank? An Iron Priest has the Lone Operative trait as long as he’s close to a vehicle so I figure sticking him in the passenger seat is OK. Leave aside how good of an idea it isn’t, I just wanna know if it’s legal
(if I had 6 Eliminators i might do something similar—give them all las fucils and an Instigator bolt carbine to the SGT. They shoot, the SGT then lets them move 6” so they can embark in the Impulsor, which can then use their guns when it attacks thanks to Firing Deck. You could drop an Eliminator to squeeze in a Phobos Librarian to make it sillier.)

Page 5 of the rules commentary says no. But the Iron Priest can run along side it in order to heal it and give it a to hit buff.

Also I’m not sure the eliminators trick works. The reposition ability says “after this unit has shot” which it’s technically the Impulsor shooting the las fusils.  

• Solution

The Techmarine has to be outside the Impulsor in the Command Phase to heal it.  Also remember that you roll as many hazardous tests as Hazardous Weapons you roll.  A cool trick to do on the first turn.  Also take a unit of Incursors, Deploy the Incursors in the Impulsor and Scout move 6".  On your turn your disembark the Incursors, and move your Hellblasters up to embark into the Impulsor then move the Impulsor its full Movement for a 19" move on your Hellblasters turn 1.

The Eliminator trick works, the Eliminators would fire first, then when they are shooting from the firing deck it is considered the vehicle firing.  It is definitely an unintended rules interaction.

6 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

Also I’m not sure the eliminators trick works. The reposition ability says “after this unit has shot” which it’s technically the Impulsor shooting the las fusils.  

The Eliminator trick is using the movement to get the squad back into the Impulsor after they've shot, then have the Impulsor shoot.

1 hour ago, CCE1981 said:

The Techmarine has to be outside the Impulsor in the Command Phase to heal it.  Also remember that you roll as many hazardous tests as Hazardous Weapons you roll.  A cool trick to do on the first turn.  Also take a unit of Incursors, Deploy the Incursors in the Impulsor and Scout move 6".  On your turn your disembark the Incursors, and move your Hellblasters up to embark into the Impulsor then move the Impulsor its full Movement for a 19" move on your Hellblasters turn 1.

The Eliminator trick works, the Eliminators would fire first, then when they are shooting from the firing deck it is considered the vehicle firing.  It is definitely an unintended rules interaction.

Thank you! I didn't realize he'd have to be outside the vehicle to heal it. That movement trick looks fun though...

1 hour ago, Galron said:

If you are playing casual you arent using this cheesy, obvious rules mistake in the first place. This is something WAAC players at a tournament would do.

glad someone else has pointed this out. 

That movement trick looks fun though...

Its not fun for your opponent.

Fair enough SW need all the help we can get at the moment, but using cheesy loopholes like this (especially proxying or building squads just to take advantage of rules mistakes at the start of a new edition) is not fun for your opponent who isn't aware of the rule mistake, and pointless in the long term as it'll just lead to GW releasing more FAQs to remove what should be an obvious rules oversight from the game.

Is it legal? Yes. Should you do it? IMO No.

53 minutes ago, DanPesci said:

Fair enough SW need all the help we can get at the moment, but using cheesy loopholes like this (especially proxying or building squads just to take advantage of rules mistakes at the start of a new edition) is not fun for your opponent who isn't aware of the rule mistake, and pointless in the long term as it'll just lead to GW releasing more FAQs to remove what should be an obvious rules oversight from the game.

I’m a first time player playing against friends and a very patient girlfriend. Just working with the models I have from a couple Combat Patrols. Duly noted that I’m playing with my toys the wrong way, fellas; thank you for the feedback. 

50 minutes ago, Galron said:

Using an unintended rules loop hole IS playing the game wrong. Nothing wrong with using hellblasters or eliminators in an impulsor. But shooting twice in a shooting phase like this is borderline cheating, Its only not true cheating because it hasnt been corrected yet.

Oh, okay. I didn't realize the rules I bought weren't the ones GW published. Do you have a copy of the real rules I can read so I don't use one of the ones the company accidentally published and get called a cheater?

5 hours ago, DanPesci said:

F

air enough SW need all the help we can get at the moment, but using cheesy loopholes like this (especially proxying or building squads just to take advantage of rules mistakes at the start of a new edition) is not fun for your opponent who isn't aware of the rule mistake, and pointless in the long term as it'll just lead to GWreleasing more FAQs to remove what should be an obvious rules oversight from the game.

Bought Hellblasters because I like them. Bought the Combat Patrol because I liked the models in it. Didn't realize I was doing it JUST to take advantage of the rules. Thanks for looking out for me, bro.

Wasn't asking for permission at any point, Comrade Commissar.

Thanks for confirming it works according to the rules-as-written, which was the original ask. (If I solely wanted to win I would probably just build a bunch of tanks and Whirlwinds and Desolators.) (The original "proxy" in my post was proxying 3 more Eliminators. Evil of me, I know. Ruining the game.)

Let's try to remember that not everyone who plays spends as much time as some of us combing forums like this. The common concensus is that Eliminators shooting twice from an Impulsor is probably a mistake but that is just our assumption. GW hasn't issued an errata for it and if they do, that will be the time to put a stop to it.

The only reason we think of it as cheesy, move is because we have been playing long enough to have certain expectations. We also inhabit a nice echo chamber which reaffirms our assumptions. Let's welcome @TheNicronomicon as a new player rather than jumping on them for not reading the unwritten rules we keep in our heads.

@TheNicronomicon Sorry that you have not received a warmer welcome. We are normally a bit more hospitable to new Fraters.