Autorifles

Should the be a codex alternative to lasrifles again?

what does the auto in autorifle stand for? Automatic obviously, but does that refer to an automatic firing function, or an automatic loading function?

is there space for an autorifle that has stats to represent rounds more potent than a standard intermediate cartridge like most combat rifles today fire?

43 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

how would you differentiate an autorifle from a lasrifle without treading on the basic boltgun?

I’d leave the stats identical like it was in the past, but as it is models with autoguns instead of lasguns (aside from sgts) could technically be disallowed from play at tournaments with strict WYSIWYG rules.

but for a higher caliber battle rifle DMR type auto rifle, I’d probably do something like this

automarksmen <heavy, precision> 30” A1 S3 AP-1 D2

I dont see why any tournament wouldn't allow autoguns on the models from that perspective, seeing as the models only have rules for one type of gun anyway. I misunderstood the purpose of the thread and assumed you were talking about making a new weapon profile :)

14 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I dont see why any tournament wouldn't allow autoguns on the models from that perspective, seeing as the models only have rules for one type of gun anyway. I misunderstood the purpose of the thread and assumed you were talking about making a new weapon profile :)

For the larger caliber autogun I was.

my OP had like 3 or 4 topics to discuss.

I always struggle with what the difference is between an infantry autogun/autopistol and the comparable stubbers. In the lore the stubbers are supposed to be like the kind of firearms we have around today, but I’m not sure how autoguns differ from that. 

Autocannons vs heavy stubbers are a bit easier to differentiate, with the heavy stubber being a light machine gun and the autocannon being more heavy calibre like a flak weapon.

If I was going to do a different profile to separate them from lasguns I’d probably give them a shorter range and make them assault weapons. Like Assault 2 18” S3 AP0 

Edited by TheArtilleryman

Fairly certain that an autogun and a stubgun are just different names for the same thing. In nearly all cases ruleswise I have seen they are generally statted identically to lasguns or laspistols, with the exception of a few one off unique weapons, like the sergeant drum fed autgoun, or the preacher’s autostubber pistol.

For regular infantry, you should be able to use pretty much any long gun/smg type weapon as a lasgun equivalent, as they are essentially the same in the rules. The exception would be shotguns, which do have a separate profile.

In regards to the “heavy” battle rifle, maybe something intermediate between the heavy stubber and the lasgun/autogun profile. I would look at using the bolter or hotshot lasgun profile for it, there isn’t much wiggle room with 40k stats really.

1 hour ago, Arikel said:

Fairly certain that an autogun and a stubgun are just different names for the same thing.

Necromunda differentiates stubbers from 'auto' by having auto weapons be 'truly automatic': rapid fire dice means they can get more hits than a stubber, but may also jam. Stub weapons are single shot S4 'revolver' weapons. Indeed, the heavy stubber is the only stub weapon to have rapid fire in Necro, whereas the 'basic weapon' stub equivalent is the Goliath Stub Cannon - essentially an oversized long barrel revolver with no stock. A shotgun is pretty close to 'mainstream long arm stubber'

So an autogun is roundly akin to your AKs and M-16s, relying on bursts or full-auto rather than sheer calibre. Auto-pistol would be machine pistols and SMGs - emphasis on auto.

So heavy stubbers basically are the 'parent' to two lines in 40k: one (stubbers) keeps the big S4 round but has low shots, the other sacrifices some range for more blistering close-range blasting.

On guard squads as sidegrades I'd suggest 'Stub rifles' as Heavy 24", BS4 S4 AP0 D1. For autoguns maybe Assault 2 18" S3 AP0 D1?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

@Dr. Clock Makes sense that they would have differences in skirmish games like Necromunda. When it comes to individual characters rather than squads you generally have more stats to work with to differentiate weapons.

I like your suggestions for the sidegrades as well as they don’t overshadow the more elite bolter. Maybe raise the bs on the stub rifle to 5 so it only hits on 4’s if you have time to aim by standing still? As a secondary ability, maybe give it rapid fire (0), so that if firing in an organized volley ordered by an officer  using FRFSRF they get 2 shots instead of just one.

As an aside, I always found it a bit silly that many SF games find the need to give basic firearms a special name like Stub Gun for a revolver. In the Star Wars rpg they call them Slug Throwers as an alternate example. Just sounds awkward most of the time when perfectly serviceable current terminology is available.

8 hours ago, Arikel said:

@Dr. Clock Makes sense that they would have differences in skirmish games like Necromunda. When it comes to individual characters rather than squads you generally have more stats to work with to differentiate weapons.

I like your suggestions for the sidegrades as well as they don’t overshadow the more elite bolter. Maybe raise the bs on the stub rifle to 5 so it only hits on 4’s if you have time to aim by standing still? As a secondary ability, maybe give it rapid fire (0), so that if firing in an organized volley ordered by an officer  using FRFSRF they get 2 shots instead of just one.

As an aside, I always found it a bit silly that many SF games find the need to give basic firearms a special name like Stub Gun for a revolver. In the Star Wars rpg they call them Slug Throwers as an alternate example. Just sounds awkward most of the time when perfectly serviceable current terminology is available.

Sure there’s currently perfectly serviceable terminology, but when you’v incorporated hundreds let alone millions of other planets and tens of thousands of years like you have in 40K, terminology changes. 

in 500 years archeologists and anthropologists will look back and likely be curious as to what exactly an assault rifle or assault weapon meant to the people of our time frame, because while they likely will still exist then they’ll probably have a different term for it.

In terms of modern 40k I don't think there is room for there to be differing ammo profiles, it seems the way GW has gone with the game they're cutting back on things like that (sternguard vets lost special ammo in 8th). I don't see different ammo types for a rifle for guardsmen fitting into the current game design. 

As for profiles, the Imperial Militia list has both the autogun and the lasgun as 24" STR 3 AP- Rapid Fire, this has been the traditional approach to the autogun in 40k and 30k, it having a separate but identical profile doesn't seem to fit with current 40k. 

As an aside the laspistol in 30k is 12" STR 3 AP- Pistol 1, while the autopistol is  9" STR 3 AP- Pistol 2 which is a nice distinction.