Sternguard - Bone or Green?...

01RTB01

Good evening all,

I've acquired a set of Leviathan and fancy painting them up as Dark Angels.

Based on the fluff/ canon would the Sternguard be more appropriate in green/ bone armour or are both choices viable?

I've played orks since the 90s and this is my first foray into a legitimate loyalist chapter and I'd like to do it properly.

Thanks in advance for any light or clarity that can be shed.

I am not sure if there is anything official yet either way. My suggestion is to choose which you like the look of more and go with that. If you like green armour, say that they are a Primaris upgrade of the existing Company Veteran squads and thus not part of the Deathwing. On the other hand, if you prefer Bone armour, say they are 1st Company and paint them accordingly.

When in doubt, always refer to the 1st rule of modelling...

1. They are your models so paint them how you like. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking it makes sense to put them in bone, and I suspect that's where they'll be put when our Codex comes out.

There's fluff either way, but I think they're going with older fluff that also had Deathwing in power armor.

However, either way you want to paint them works.

Lolz, I'd say Green.

They are kind of replacing the now extinct Battle Company Veterans (Green Marines); so regardless of whether they have or are inducted into the DW because they 'know stuff about the Fallen',  they aren't in the First Company, which for 3 decades was TDA only.

PA in the Deathwing Company was pre 2nd Edition, you could choose to go RT era, then anything goes.

Now I accept that there have been exemptions recently to the TDA rules but these guys seem more Battle Company than First.

But: the First rule of modelling trumps any lore as stated earlier by the esteemed Brother Karhedron.

I'm very, very much in the camp of doing what works for you. There's a lot of ways to justify it, and in the end they're your models.

Heck mine are black. I went with "Risen" from the storyline in Lion Son of the Forest.

I've gone with bone for the Blade guard, but I could have honestly went black there, or stayed green... Personally I love the diversity of colour in the Dark Angels with the different wings/era's etc. I get bored of the green which is on 90% of the (or my) army. So it keeps you fresh with painting new units.