10th edition marine release speculation / wishlisting.

jimbo1701

It’s nearly upon us fraters so time for some rampant speculation. All based on wishlisting / educated guessing / what few rumours there are. 

Codex and cards are a given. 
I suspect a new Hachette release mid next year also. 

As for the models:

Hangovers:

Suppressors - the only hangover from 8th that has no separate release and will need one of the combat patrol / shadowspear goes away. 

9th edition - I suspect the heroes of the chapter set from indomitus May go away but the judiciar and bladeguard ancient will then need a seperate release as per the gravis cap and ancient from dark imperium. Also, the shield captain and lt will need their own release but as they occupy individual sprues this should be relatively easy. 

Multiparts from leviathan:

as with other patterns of release from earlier editions, the infernus marines, terminators and sternguard are likely to get multipart versions. In the case of the terminators I’d be amazed if assault variants aren’t included. We’ve already seen one of the characters (librarian) in separate release format. I suspect the large sprue characters (apothecary / lt) will get no separate release this edition.  The dreadnought would be easy enough to either repack or release individually with more options - we saw similar in early 8th Ed with the easy to build redemptor. 

Revamps:

I suspect some of the models from firstborn that are going to legends will be reborn through primaris variations. 

Jump assault intercessors - replacement for assault marines and rumoured by valrak. 

vanguard - I suspect these will also be updated as a jump version in primaris armour when the codex lands, however as they didn’t get the legends treatment in the recent updates that would go against this. Then again, neither did assault termiantors and I’d be amazed if they weren’t getting new models. 

scouts - already rumoured by valrak for a kill team release. Again, likely to be an update in the same manner as the neophytes. Options remain to be seen but hopefully they retain multiple flavours. We’ve also seen a decal sheet for them. 

characters - more bike characters, termiantors (chaplain has been rumoured by valrak) and maybe even jump characters. I suspect they will save some of each for the big chapter releases as now that characters only attach to certain units they’ve got a lot to put in primaris format if they want to make things universal. No guarantees that every armour type will get every character type though. 

Command squad - as per valrak rumours a command squad may feature. Whether it combines old sculpts, new or both we shall see. 

special characters - new ones aside the codex compliant marines need Lysander, Kantor and sicarius updated as well as telion and chronus, assuming they make the cut. Other chapters will come with their own books i suspect. 

Other:

there are bound to be a few new units thrown in there that nobody was expecting and I also think this will be split between a release wave and a subsequent wave early next year as it has been before. Maybe some more impulsor variants, grav wielding marines? A super heavy has been absent for many editions but it a stretch. I suspect land raiders, flyers and drop pods are here to stay in their current format but pretty much all the rest of the firstborn will be lucky to survive the edition. Speculation for 11th boxed set - primaris tactical squad and devastators ;)

cheers. 

Edited by jimbo1701

Well if this is a wishlist then Rogal Dorn! 

Failing that if they are going to keep to the theme of heavy weapon squads now having one weapon (Hellblasters, Infernus, Desolation) it would be cool to get a heavy weapon squad with autocannons/lascannons. Or maybe an extra sprue adding more weapon options to those existing squads. 

Character wise it would be nice to see Kantor and Lysander come back with updated sculpts. 

It would be really great if they added a sprue to the Chaplain on Bike so that it became an all in one kit to make a Captain/Librarian/Techmarine on Bike as well. 

A new Primaris Command Squad would be interesting. I've thought about this a few times lately in terms of what it would include and what the price would be?

Going on what is out there now, each primaris member of the command squad runs $35-40 or so? Throw in two generic veterans, and now we're talking a kit that wouldn't surprise me if it cost around $100 or so in price? Then I'm thinking what models would it include? Ancient, Champion, Apothecary, and do they cut it off with those three or also include 2 that can be made into veterans with differing equipment options? Basically either a melee focused, or ranged focused load-outs?

The most positive would be three new models of the name characters, and 2 additional veterans with some nice gear to equip them with! But again, no more $60 Command Squad kits lol

On 8/5/2023 at 9:57 PM, Eilio Tiberius said:

A new Primaris Command Squad would be interesting. I've thought about this a few times lately in terms of what it would include and what the price would be?

Going on what is out there now, each primaris member of the command squad runs $35-40 or so? Throw in two generic veterans, and now we're talking a kit that wouldn't surprise me if it cost around $100 or so in price? Then I'm thinking what models would it include? Ancient, Champion, Apothecary, and do they cut it off with those three or also include 2 that can be made into veterans with differing equipment options? Basically either a melee focused, or ranged focused load-outs?

The most positive would be three new models of the name characters, and 2 additional veterans with some nice gear to equip them with! But again, no more $60 Command Squad kits lol

i would say around 75-90$ CAD, similar to boxes like chosen and sword brethren, maybe marked up a bit since theyre characters and you might not buy multiples aside from kitbashing. then again it could be as low as 55$ CAd, thats what the cadian command squad is going for.

I expect to see a release of jump pack assault intercessors (or a similar unit with a different name) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Vanguard Vets get a new release with the terminator/sternguard treatment.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the brutalis dreadnaught getting its own kit too.

It might be a little soon for a multipart terminator kit for the squad, captain, or librarian, so I'd actually be surprised to see any of those. 

something I'd love to see in the codex would be the primaris/FB divide with leaders go away 100%. It's really dumb and just needs to happen. Though with the way it's still segregated in the index I kinda doubt that'll happen. 

Make captains, captains; lieutenants, lieutenants; and librarians, librarians!

Edited by Paladin777

My wishlist would

include separate Firstborn and Primaris codex each. One that would include an ability to run a “pure” army faction or allow to bring support from one codex into the other. Wishlisting fun but futile. 

More realistically I’m hoping a similar result for running “pure” army armor types. I’ve ran pseudo versions of all three. Tacticus, Gravis, and Phobos. They of course run more efficiently when mixed but something akin to what the Dark Angels do would make for interesting story and table play for a (new?) featured Chapter. 

Still hoping the Codex sprinkles a few tactical starts aimed at featuring the Firstborn. 10k of fighting the good fight first shouldngarner something special besides characters. 

13 minutes ago, Galron said:

I think we will see Assault marines get a refresh. They are still missing from HH and it would make sense to have a single Assault marine kit with the updated scale. Perhaps a rebox with extra weapon sprues for the 40k version.

HH have a mkVI version coming, they've already been previewed. The 40k ones won't be the same kit, because the size for the new 40k marines is just very different from HH now.

Considering that GW has explicitly said that you can use your assault marines as VV's I'm gonna go on a limb and say that they aren't going to get a rerelease a la sternguard. 

However, I'm suddenly curious about the possibility of getting an updated land raider...

Edited by Paladin777

13 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

Considering that GW has explicitly said that you can use your assault marines as VV's I'm gonna go on a limb and say that they aren't going to get a rerelease a la sternguard. 

That is a possibility. The flip side is that we may be getting Primaris Assault squads with much more standardised wargear (probably chainsword and heavy bolt pistol as per Assault Intercessors). That would leave Van Vets with exotic wargear (boiled down to Heirloom weapons) and Primaris Assault squads with plain loadout. Not particularly exciting but it makes sense and fits with the mono-loadout favoured by Primaris squads.

I do fully expect an 'assault' primaris squad with jump packs of some sort, just not what we currently know as an Assault Squad. 

I wouldn't be surprised for the sergeant to have more exotic options, but I wouldn't be surprised to him not to either...

TBH, the only squads I expect to get the terminator/sternguard treatment are 'veteran' units.

Edited by Paladin777

14 hours ago, Paladin777 said:

However, I'm suddenly curious about the possibility of getting an updated land raider...

Has there been any hint about an updated land raider? 

9 hours ago, KnightofSigismund said:

Other than updated terminators, no. 

however, the kit is positively ancient!

Edited by Paladin777

Inceptor leader.

primaris assault squad- sarge option from pistol list, option from melee list, replace pistol with shield, all other marines chainswords and uniformed option from pistol list to stick with the pattern.

primaris SG, primaris DC w/ JP

Tycho inspired LT or captain.

scout LT to go with the scouts.

I saw Jacques Corbin suggest a gravis unit with mortar backpacks and that’s a great idea.  There might be some idea that mortars are not in marines’ lane, like in 2000 when Wolves were allowed a guard tank, it had to be the autocannon variant because battlecannons are a guard theme.

i think the example of suppressors should be taken the opposite way - there may be more units that never get their own box: eviscerators, perhaps the bladeguard ancient or zatoichi guy

Artistically the lines have been complete for a long time.  If you can get pewter banshees or maugan ra, the replacement  designs are mostly pointless. New stuff like tandem  pillion-seat-sniper jetbikes don’t do anything for anyone.  Marines are in a similar place.  Any new kit is just iterative

I’d love something creative, the way  AoS gets different aesthetics, new ideas all the time.  That’s my wishlist, if it’s marines it’d better be blimp marines

i want the various bolt rifle or other shooty characters to get gun battle rules.  They should be able to pass a Ld check to get sniper and tank hunter for that round, options that let them do character-style heroics

neway

18 hours ago, KnightofSigismund said:

Not to my knowledge. A lot of Marine tanks got new versions for Horus Heresy although I can't remember off the top of my head if the LR was one.