The End and the Death Part I, II, III, ...

1 hour ago, Matcap86 said:

But nothing really on why the sudden mass panic and retreat on the traitor side.  

Warhawk and Echoes both showed it. The answer seems to be.

1. The traitors have near collectively snapped. They are insane in various ways.

2. It was clearly decided that the death of a Primarch in the warp fuelled state of Terra, impacts their Legion. DG, WE, BA, all see this.

The Horus falls, and we see a full on regression of the Warp. That's going to do something to the people who have been steeped in crazy juice for several years.

Okay! Finished the book last night! Today I read the afterword which was enlightening especially the parts about sideplots, tone, and scale. I especially liked Abnett's explanation approaching the Big Three characters, as well as how GW higher-ups were involved in the process. However, I still feel the whole thing could have been cut down to Two Volumes instead of Three because, let's be real, money is the ultimate reason it has been dragged out this long (he wrote the afterword exactly a year ago!!).

Now onto the review which I will group as cons and pros.

Cons

• Spoiler
    • G-man, Perty, and Lorgar iterlude chapters: As other fraters have said, there were some sore thumbs I could not ignore like Thiel "suddenly" being with Grandpa Smurf even though he was doing his own thing in Ultramar, Perty STILL in-system even though he quit the Siege like months ago, and Lorgar SOMEHOW has the "Fidelitas Lex", even though "Betrayer" made it clear that that hip was destroyed and crashed into Nuceria (I hope it's just another ship he renamed the Lex...).
    • Fo plotline: Could have been a bloody side story as part of an anthology. Seriously, there didn't seem to be much payoff aside from "Yes, here is the Terminus Weapon which the Grey Knights have under lock and key in the future on Titan!" Worse, Fo somehow escaped after cloning Xanthus' body...shame as I really enjoyed Amon skewering his old decrepit body.
    • Dark Angels plotline: It got too convoluted near the end frankly. Like Keeler and the pilgrimage taking so god dang long to get there, and have Sigismund shine as "Champion of the Emperor" even though we already saw that in "Warhawk". I'm a loyalist fan, but I can understand why traitor fans are salty the loyalists get to shine so much in this book series.
    • Library sequence: As much as I like Ahriman's appearance there and his cards reading, all I can say is "Eh" as there was no payoff there aside from knowing the grimdark future.
    • Inquisitor series namedrops: I need to go back and re-read the Eisnehorn trilogy and then I plan to do Ravenor's tales and then Bequin's stuff as a lot of these namedrops just flew over my head like "Lilean Chase" and "Inevitable City". The causal reader will probably just shrug them off too I feel.
    • Valdor moments: I agree with other fraters that those signature "Damn you" lines felt a little out of place for someone as stoic and duty-driven as Valdor. I did like his emotion at seeing the Emperor's wrecked corpse though.
    • Erebus and Samus: To hell with this guy, but that should be no surprise lol. I didn't like him offing Loken to birth Samus as that felt sooooo last minute "Didn't see that coming eyyy?!". Considering I no longer care about Samus, you can understand why I was salty. Now though, I want Samus to show up in 40k so someone can obliterate it permanently.
    • Traitor retreat/loyalist fleet arrival: Got skimmed really. But I guess this is set-up for the Scouring series.

Pros

• Spoiler
    • Black Rage: It was well done, and the scope with how the dark dreams got embedded into the Angles really showed how bad this malady is considering how the IX turned on friend and foe alike. Rann running from Azkaellon felt something like a horror movie!
    • Emperor vs. Horus: Fantastic! I wondered how a duel could keep my attention with so many god dang pages, but it did! It reminded me a bit of the Goku vs. Vegeta duel in Dragon Ball Z near the end of the Saiyan Saga, where both combatants use every trick they have to get the upper hand on the other. The Emperor in particular even though we can tell he is on the backfoot all the time. But the cards fight was cool and the fake Loken aspect trick from Emps was so cool it made my jaw drop!! And I liked the nod to Bill King's Horus/Emperor duel with the whole lighting the Emperor's face on fire, destroying one of his eyes, and severing the veins of his sword hand wrist.
    • The Emperor: I know some people will have wanted to get into the Emperor's head, but I feel GW are being smart with the policy of keeping his inner thoughts mysterious to us, as he is on another plane of existence, one we mere mortals can't possibly comprehend. I would have liked him to trash talk the Chaos Gods or Horus though lol. But I'm sure we can all agree that for most of the fight he was probably thinking "F***ING HORUS!!!" *wink*. Regardless, this for me felt like the hero's moment for the big guy. Everyone has their own opinion on this guy, but for me, he is the lesser evil for humanity and here, he really went all out despite the odds. Like the number of times he kept getting back up even though he looked done for! That is admirable and shows the human fighting spirit just like his son, the Angel.
    • Horus' fate twist: I did indeed love the twist of the narrative where it was actually Horus holding back from killing his father as it showed the remaining shard of his humanity fighting the malevolent influence of Chaos. Though, I sympathize with @wecanhaveallthree's point about how Horus that was, should not be as present after what happened in "Slaves to Darkness".
    • Oll/Caecaltus/LE2: I like how Abnett had all three speculated figures be the ones to face down Lupercal at some point. Oll was the lone guardsman who gave the Emperor a vital weapon to end the fight, but who got brutally killed by Horus (I'm pretty sure he is dead dead folks). Caecaltus was the one incinerated by Horus' warp beam powers. And LE2 helped free the Emperor from a temporary pinning to the throne Horus fashioned for him, before being ruthlessly tossed away by Lupercal.
    • Loken's role: Many people probably wanted Loken to die on Istvaan III, and I get that. I personally am very attached to this character, and I was happy when he survived. To what end people speculated. Well, now we know: to speak the truth as he did in the Mournival one last time to his father. To try and get him to relent. Even though he didn't make the case for Horus to give up his power, he did try and plead with his father to search within himself to know he is wrong. Alas. It was emotional and the dialogue well written as well as some callbacks to "Horus Rising". I even loved how he begged Abaddon to sue for peace and how Ezekyle, even though we know he is set on his path for the future to do his own thing, was willing to let Loken walk. AND THEN EREBUS RUINED A TOUCHING BRO MOMENT. I can't wait for the book to make that bastard suffer for ruining so many brotherhoods and heart-felt moments...
    • Last Malcador chapter: Beautiful and grimdark, as he knows that the Throne will merely keep the Emperor in a state of life and death rather than heal him as his followers believe.
    • Abaddon: Man I hate this guy more after accepting Chaos gifts with Erebus' help. But nice nod to his future role though.
    • Keeler: Nice last scene there showing the birth of the Imperial Creed. I wish Katsuhiro had survived thouhgh (I assume he also got vaporized by the sacrifice to light the Astronomicon through the power of faith. But the power of faith was cool to see in how it helped the Emperor do one last effort and strike down Horus after he gave up his Chaos powers momentarily.
    • Athame: Good callback to that short story John French wrote back in book 25, and the Emperor echoing the words: "I wait for you, and I forgive you".

But when all is said and done, the conclusion was solid, and many of my thoughts align with @Scribe and even though I have not followed this series since it was released (I was too young back then lol), I kind of feel like Malcador in that "I'm old, I'm tired" (@Scribe I thought you were going to say that after finishing your excellent review haha).

The Heresy series has been a mixed bag, but it was my introduction to 40k novels in general with "The First Heretic" being the first "Heresy" book I read. And for the last ten years ish, I have followed the book series wanting to learn more. Yes, it did get very filler and bloat-ish near the end, hence why I didn't read every single entry, and stuck to the entries that drew my eye. But what was solid or amazing, I enjoyed. And this last Volume I enjoyed so so much more than the previous two. So, I give it an 8.5-9/10. My ranking order for the whole "book 8" then goes Vol. III, Vol. I, and Vol. II.

Lastly, I may have said this before, but I have enjoyed speaking and engaging with fraters on this thread joking, speculating, and rambling about the last books of this long series (and about that Angron 40k book and I have yet to consume the Lion one). I got some more 40k reading ahead of me, and if anything else releases in the future post-Siege that catches my eye (it probably will happen lol), I would love to discuss it with all of you.

Anyway, enough waffling from me. I would love to hear more thoughts on this last entry. I think I need to wind down after this rollercoaster ending with anything Space Marine/Primarchs related lmao.

Side note: So no "Numa Ei" singing? What a shame haha.

Edited by Dornfist

Both the Siege and the Heresy as a whole each need a Chaos Anthology in which Daemons and those Blessed by Chaos go on a rampage or unleash unrivaled death and cruelty. With the POVs being Loyalists

Like a Short Story in which Heresy Corax runs away and lets his sons die trying to slow down Be'lakor

The in the Siege, Be'lakor corrupts entire Conscript Regiments into attacking the Blood Angels as they retreated from Colossi Gate. Sanginius gets wounded by Be'lakor and forced to retreat

1 hour ago, Moonreaper666 said:

Both the Siege and the Heresy as a whole each need a Chaos Anthology in which Daemons and those Blessed by Chaos go on a rampage or unleash unrivaled death and cruelty. With the POVs being Loyalists

Like a Short Story in which Heresy Corax runs away and lets his sons die trying to slow down Be'lakor

The in the Siege, Be'lakor corrupts entire Conscript Regiments into attacking the Blood Angels as they retreated from Colossi Gate. Sanginius gets wounded by Be'lakor and forced to retreat

Fan Fiction has its own forum.

3 hours ago, Moonreaper666 said:

No.

The End and the Death series was a waste of pages and I don’t feel any closer to the epic conclusion that should have been. This writing almost doesn’t feel like Abnett (contrast with his style in Gaunt’s Ghosts and Legion) and I’m not sure if I am coping that he could have just churned out three turds lol

My gripes:

Spoiler

1. No time in the sun for some of the most harrowing and heartwrenching moments of the end of the siege - no Ultramarine relief POV past the opening pages. No Lion and Russ angst and final dual on Terra. No final words from the Emperor to Dorn.

2. where were the perspectives of the traitors when the siege broke? We got a fun little view of the Vengeful Spirit, but it felt shoehorned in between the plot timelines. Most of the time, Abnett spent red shirting traitors to rack up the body counts for dudes that were already heroes of legend. I didn’t feel any sort of pending doom for the loyalists because Rann could just axe his way through anything, and Sigismund with Corswain couldn’t be touched. 

3. the level of dragon ball z/naruto bs with “just hit them harder” or “ya gotta believe in yourself” tripe

4. Fo - this could have turned into a really cool new piece of lore and subplot, but was absolutely ruined because nothing ever materialized from his weapon and he just body swapped

5. the endless tedium of the books. Every chapter, every plot point was just drawn out past the point of enjoyment. Chapters in a book should help drive closer to the conflict and conclusion of the plot. It felt like Abnett was just grifting for time to get more filler to sell to the heresy community. Oh boy I sure can’t wait for another 63 books in the scouring. I have never been less interested in an Abnett book than this final trilogy, which feels shameful considering how well he has written in the past. I found myself skimming sections of the book because I could care less about certain plot points and endless filler.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:30 AM, Moonreaper666 said:

So we’re back to Be’lakor being your go-to subject for the snuff-fic fantasies. 

It is interesting that Part III is so different stylistically from the other parts. I had gone back to comments about the origins of the game (WH40K) and one of the major influences for the setting and background Rick Priestley had mentioned back then was Milton's Paradise Lost. The interminable poem is told from the POV of several characters and has a dreamlike, surreal, immersive quality. I wonder if Abnett didn't also follow this a bit. He additionally dedicates TEATD to Ian Watson, whose seminal novels had a dreamy, surreal quality of their own.

I think it has been mentioned before in this forum, that in Paradise Lost, the capital of Hell where the fallen plot their schemes to destroy god's most beloved creation (humanity) is called Pandaemonium.

The switch to more conventional prose in Part III was unexpected, for me at least.

No, no, Horus' spear was the reason why Horus' "good side" resurfaced briefly, putting him in a coma after Titandeath, because he was tearing himself apart internally, due to conflicting emotions etc. Then we had an entire novel that dealt with that exact part of him being killed by Maloghurst to get him out of that coma, didn't we? It's pretty weird that now, at the end, that part is just kinda back for Abnett to play with, innit?

Edited by DarkChaplain

8 hours ago, EverythingIsGreat said:

It is interesting that Part III is so different stylistically from the other parts. I had gone back to comments about the origins of the game (WH40K) and one of the major influences for the setting and background Rick Priestley had mentioned back then was Milton's Paradise Lost. The interminable poem is told from the POV of several characters and has a dreamlike, surreal, immersive quality. I wonder if Abnett didn't also follow this a bit. He additionally dedicates TEATD to Ian Watson, whose seminal novels had a dreamy, surreal quality of their own.

I think it has been mentioned before in this forum, that in Paradise Lost, the capital of Hell where the fallen plot their schemes to destroy god's most beloved creation (humanity) is called Pandaemonium.

The switch to more conventional prose in Part III was unexpected, for me at least.

Yup Pandaemonium (literally city of daemons) has been mentioned plenty along with Paradise Lost. 

Another thing that sort of struck me, aside from the interesting point above about Russ wounding Horus with the spear, was that I found myself thinking that Sanguinius’ death felt sort of pointless? I was expecting his sacrifice to have had more of an impact on the Emperor’s ability to defeat Horus but it felt like he hadn’t really hurt Horus at all, physically at least.

At times the narrative suggested that the Angel had to die in order for Horus to be defeated but I can’t recall his death really having any affect on the Horus vs Emperor duel? Happy to be corrected as I’m going on memory alone. 

4 hours ago, Etruscan said:

Another thing that sort of struck me, aside from the interesting point above about Russ wounding Horus with the spear, was that I found myself thinking that Sanguinius’ death felt sort of pointless? I was expecting his sacrifice to have had more of an impact on the Emperor’s ability to defeat Horus but it felt like he hadn’t really hurt Horus at all, physically at least.

At times the narrative suggested that the Angel had to die in order for Horus to be defeated but I can’t recall his death really having any affect on the Horus vs Emperor duel? Happy to be corrected as I’m going on memory alone. 

I think Sanguinius' death was always one of facing down fate, doing what you know is right, even if its pointless.

That it then scar's his legion is just a happy accident.

"Do what is right even if the cause is lost." is a, if not THE, central pillar of the IP.

14 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

No, no, Horus' spear was the reason why Horus' "good side" resurfaced briefly, putting him in a coma after Titandeath, because he was tearing himself apart internally, due to conflicting emotions etc. Then we had an entire novel that dealt with that exact part of him being killed by Maloghurst to get him out of that coma, didn't we? It's pretty weird that now, at the end, that part is just kinda back for Abnett to play with, innit?

Yes, you're right of course. Since it's DA couldn't we have the Interex show up and save the day?

I’ve always found the whole “Sanguinius created a chink in Horus’ armour” thing weird. You’re saying that after the entire massive duel between Horus and the Emperor, the Emperor hadn’t been able to create one single scratch himself to use? The Emperor, a god in everything but name, wasn’t able to land a single substantial blow on Horus?

Sanguinius is good, but he’s not “outdo the Emperor Himself” good. 

28 minutes ago, Lord_Caerolion said:

I’ve always found the whole “Sanguinius created a chink in Horus’ armour” thing weird. You’re saying that after the entire massive duel between Horus and the Emperor, the Emperor hadn’t been able to create one single scratch himself to use? The Emperor, a god in everything but name, wasn’t able to land a single substantial blow on Horus?

At this point, considering the scale and scope of The Fight, the idea is pretty laughable anyway. It was a battle between a God Tier being, and an extremely powerful being, who was factually outclassed by Horus at every stage.

1 hour ago, Lord_Caerolion said:

That is not entirely correct. Throughout the duel, the Emperor landed many substantial blows

Spoiler

even opening Horus's scull using the bloodlight "crown". As Scribe references, Horus' power was the full undiluted power of Chaos and any injury could be "repaired" in minutes. Horus is unkillable while he's the power puppet of Chaos, per the story

The problem with the duel for me was the aftermath.

Spoiler

Horus is finally obliterated when he sheds the full power of the Chaos. Ok. And... what? There's no contingency by the four? After 30000+ years of planning the whole exercise hinges on one vessel? Why the hell retreat? The Emperor is almost dead anyway, and you four Bozos are right there (along with uncountable minions). Finish the damn job!

Oh well. This is canon, as Abnett clearly states in the Afterword, with the blessing of the IP keepers and other stakeholders. The TEATD is what actually happened, and every other recounting is misinformation, myth or legend. So I guess we have to go with this.

Edited by EverythingIsGreat

21 minutes ago, Lord_Caerolion said:

I can accept Sanguinius creating a chink in Horus’ armour, and that being the best he can do. What I find confusing is the idea of the Emperor not being able to create his own, and being wholly reliant on the one created by Sanguinius to achieve victory. 

In a different universe, that story is told. As EverythingIsGreat mentions, its not like the Emperor didnt land his own blows, the issue is...its just not relevant anymore. The scale of the conflict is beyond Primarchs, it is to Primarchs, what Primarchs are to a single gnat. Its just...beyond any kind of relevant context.

Now again, I personally ENJOYED the level Abnett brought this conflict to, and I think it is a plausible explanation for just what was going on.

I just dont...see how all the tools were used. All the history, all the lore, all of the HH, or even all of the SoT.

And thats something we are going to get to chew on and sit with, forever.

48 minutes ago, EverythingIsGreat said:

Reveal hidden contents

even opening Horus's scull using the bloodlight "crown". As Scribe references, Horus' power was the full undiluted power of Chaos and any injury could be "repaired" in minutes. Horus is unkillable while he's the power puppet of Chaos, per the story

The problem with the duel for me was the aftermath.

Hide contents

Horus is finally obliterated when he sheds the full power of the Chaos. Ok. And... what? There's no contingency by the four? After 30000+ years of planning the whole exercise hinges on one vessel? Why the hell retreat? The Emperor is almost dead anyway, and you four Bozos are right there (along with uncountable minions). Finish the damn job!

Oh well. This is canon, as Abnett clearly states in the Afterword, with the blessing of the IP keepers and other stakeholders. The TEATD is what actually happened, and every other recounting is misinformation, myth or legend. So I guess we have to go with this.

I think that the ruinous powers wanted everything to happen the way it did.

Why is it the immediate assumption that Chaos isn't winning, when it has been winning for 10,000 years? The gods don't grow strong from territory or even worship (that merely attracts their attention) - they grow strong from emotion, no matter where it flows from (imagine the despair that Gulliman felt upon awakening in the 41st millennium - Nurgle has a very special place in his garden for that morsel). W40k has always quietly said, piecing together the implications of the lore, that the Imperium is the ideal vessel to cultivate these emotions, and thus Chaos. They want emotion, not Terra.

They've ensured that their chosen vessel of humanity will be mired in a half-life of decay and frothing fanaticism that won't be burnt out in a generation, but continue to propagate and dominate for an almost geological amount of time, across an entire galaxy. "Finishing the job" meant that without the Astronomicon, the Imperium fragments / implodes, and its loathsome ideas and culture aren't able to propagate and consolidate to imprison the entirety of their chosen species of mankind and perpetuate the cycle of suffering.

The Emperor tried to play them, but He got played. It was either ascension to the Dark King at the expense of humanity (actually fulfilling everything Horus initially feared for!), or His suffering of an eternity for the stagnation of humanity to feed their thirst.

I mean it does say...

"Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Sounds like a pretty good time for the gods to me - don't think they could have come up with a better galaxy thanks to their tools, Horus and The Emperor.

Just want to apologise for the tone of that earlier post addressing Scribe. I'd not been having the best of days and let a bunch of longer term grievances i've had with parts of the GW/BL community get the better of me, despite it not really being an appropriate post to address them with, nor the right way to go about doing it.

Edited by Fedor

Doesn’t GW put out tons of promotional stuff? No need to parrot them.

So, supposedly Chaos has put in motion a plot spanning 30000+ years. Why? What is so interesting about the collective shaman incarnation (the Emperor) that such plots must be initiated and sustained? Nothing from GW about that, except we know as canon that the Anathema can actually extinguish chaotic essence (daemons cease to exist, period, anywhere). This has been shown unambiguously, in author (GW) voice.

In the meantime these 30000+ the galaxy is… a peaceful, unemotional place? Or is it wracked by excess, war and destruction (just like the previous million years). Is there any peace except locally, for short periods? Maybe one can wishfully think that building of empires like the necrontyr, eldar or humanity’s first expansion (per the lore) etc. happened peacefully and unemotionally. Rather unlikely.

So anyway according to the lore, apparently the Emperor is an existential threat for Chaos, it’s not a “game”. They come together. They plan. They designate instruments that put in motion elaborate designs. And… it all depends on a single thrust? Can anyone’s survival plan depend wholly on an instrument unstable enough to rather easily betray its essence and original purpose? Who says the instrument won’t betray you next?

Ok, so maybe Chaos is dumb. But the objective is get rid of the Emperor, fully corrupt humanity and bring the entire galaxy into their fold. The objective cannot be “constant war”. That has been already happening for millions of years prior. Strife with short intervals of cooperation.

And here’s the endgame. Their instrument, predictably, betrays them in the last moment and is destroyed. But the Emperor is almost gone. The foes are there in insurmountable force. The battlefield outside has already been decided. On Terra, chaos, and Chaos reigns. And instead of just easily killing the Emperor… they leave? And not just retreat. It’s a rout. If ever one could extract defeat from the laurels of victory this is it.

In a telling of the siege that actually made sense, intermediate material would have been provided by the authors that gave some rationalization and storyline about how such a thing could have happened. Instead readers are presumed to be imbeciles that buy GW’s blurbs. Look forget all that, total war guys! Chaos won! Another 10000 years of war to match the HH, the 200 years of GC, the Unification Wars, the Wars of the Age of Strife, the wars of DAOT etc etc, and the untold millions of years of wars before it! Whoo boy!

Grim.