The End and the Death Part I, II, III, ...

I dont understand how they can put out a official release where the author talks about how important and great it is to read all 3 books together as one book as that's how it is intendent....while doing the PRECISE OPPOSITE THING. 

Like it might be just be me, but its just sloppy work on the BL marketing teams part. 

Also he says he finished the book 2 years ago, so i wonder how long they knew it was never going to be 8 books. 

12 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:

I dont understand how they can put out a official release where the author talks about how important and great it is to read all 3 books together as one book as that's how it is intendent....while doing the PRECISE OPPOSITE THING. 

Like it might be just be me, but its just sloppy work on the BL marketing teams part. 

Also he says he finished the book 2 years ago, so i wonder how long they knew it was never going to be 8 books. 

Read it all together a year and a half apart?

"A lot of threads from Volume 1 do arc over into Volume 3"

Oh please god no. I won't make it through two more books like Volume 1

"it almost tells you too many versions"

Stop it.  Just stop. Please.

‘Now I get why that mattered in book one!’”

My issue is that this isn't it's own series. This isn't technically book one of the Siege. It's the 8th, 9th, and 10th books and half of it flat-out is just retelling of stuff that's already been done. It could've been a one book ending if Abnett had some self-control and didn't do things like talk about the layers of dirt in the Imperial Palace for 3 pages

Edited by darkhorse0607
More ranting. I apologize for nothing

41 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I can't wait for Scribe's reaction.

Can't wait for Pandemonium to be 3 novels long too. And they could have avoided so much hate by just outright stating that it's gonna be 3 volumes before vol1 released...

Edited by System Sound

2 minutes ago, cheywood said:

Is book 2 going to be 700 pages of Sanguinius wistfully wandering around the Vengeful Spirit saying things like ‘I remember that bulkhead’? 

You wish it was going to be that relevant. It's going to be hundreds of pages devoted to that fragment of the lady thinking about her pet birds.

I'm looking forward to an expansive telling of the most important moments in 40K's history so happy for it to be in three books if that's what was felt necessary to avoid cutting out sections. If people want a 'short version', read the fluff covering it in the codexes and rulebooks.

What I'm not looking forward to is the queue system and disappointment when Volume 3 is inevitably released alongside a bunch of other books & LEs for Black Library "Celebration" next February. It's going to be a trainweck.

And they could have avoided so much hate by just outright stating that it's gonna be 3 volumes before vol1 released...

I see, nearly everywhere, people fervently wishing that Abnett had written the entire opening trilogy.

I really cannot fathom why they wouldn't just announce this as a massive hype build. 'You're gonna get two thousand words of Abnett's best, with coherent characterisation, plotting and arcs to get the close of our enormous, long-running Heresy series delivered in the best way possible. Please look forward to it.' It seems a total no-brainer, unless they were thinking they'd have a wrap-up book or a denouement or something.

Either way: oh no no no!

3 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

It is cool seeing the full cover, I wonder who those four thrones are for? The Tzeentch and Khorne are obvious, I presume the osseous throne is Nurgle.

I hate that the special editions do not include the full cover artworks, just the main right hand side and not the left hand side. It's ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

with coherent characterisation

We talking about the same abnett? The guy can't even get the locations of the palace to match up properly, let alone personalities. 

Amit, rann, zephon, archamus and sor talgron have all been tainted; I'm worried about what other characters fall victim.

They called us mad for predicting this. Well, now who's mad? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Woe be upon ye, Kyme simply didn't do his job. I don't blame Abnett for self indulgence, but I DO blame him for crapping on the other authors like this and calling it respect. Man really made them hurt their own books to carry his plot threads and then rewrote everything anyway.

I'm talking about how it could've been hyped/pitched as opposed to the unfortunate reality that Abnett's swing-to-miss ratio for the whole Heresy has been shockingly high.

BLAME KYME

I can't bring myself to do it after Old Earth, which was a fairly unsubtle 'right, that's it, daddy's packing up those toys'. The Siege has been woefully mismanaged, no doubt about that, and I think you're bang on with 'crap on other authors and call it respect'. We've all been huffing copium in some amount of 'it's OK, everyone is just making space for Abnett to tie it all together' but the end result being Abnett getting to call every shot imaginable - often to the detriment of the story - just hasn't worked for me. 

Once again I will, quite bitterly, bring up those lovely pictures from right at the start of the Siege of all the authors sitting down very seriously in the same room, apparently putting their heads together and figuring it all out. Aieeee!

I might have been less offended if Dan hadn't killed off some of my favorite characters 4-7 books ago, in Saturnine, effectively slaughtering their arcs ahead of the finale.

Yeah, I'm so happy I stopped reading volume one at some point. I'm completely unwilling to read this or part two before the end is here. This isn't like me being desperate for John Gwynne's final Bloodsworn Saga novel, or Michael J. Sullivan's First Empire-to-Riyria bridge trilogy finale pulling everything together later this month. Those are books that needed to actually be written since the last installment and have gone through all the relevant work before they see the light of day in one piece.

This bull:cuss: here is Black Library / Games Workshop deciding to milk the thing for all they can. Did the book need to be split up? Yes. Yes, at this length it assuredly had to. But that's the only thing that they needed to do here, if they were unwilling to cut the fat.

For one, they should've made this :cuss: clear from the start. Before Volume 1 released. They should have released them either as a bundle deal right on Volume 1, making sure to send buyers the following volumes as they became available with NO repeat limited queue :cuss:. Better yet, they should have been clear about releasing them x months apart - best one per month, but stretching the entire three volume conclusion no longer than 6 months total at the extreme end, in case of unforseen logistical issues. It should NEVER have taken this long to get from Volume 1 to Volume 2, let alone Volume 3.

Most of all, though, they should have shown flexibility with their :cuss:ing pricing here. They should have at the very least knocked 5-10 bucks off the damn thing to account for it being essentially preying on completionists. They KNEW that people would need to pay TRIPLE the regular, already immensely overpriced amount for the complete novel.

Frankly, had I been insane enough to go for the limited editions, this would be the final straw to get me to sell off the whole set. This does not spark joy. This is a clear case of less is more.

2 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

We talking about the same abnett? The guy can't even get the locations of the palace to match up properly, let alone personalities. 

Amit, rann, zephon, archamus and sor talgron have all been tainted; I'm worried about what other characters fall victim.

I'm still incredibly pissed about Sor Talgron. I waited years and years for Anthony Reynolds to come back and give him a proper sequel, a role to play, for his plans to come to fruition during the Siege.

Adding him onto the pile of interesting characters Abnett nuked in Saturnine, hoo boy. How can you completely waste an up-and-coming champion like Tybalt Marr? How can you do Aximand so dirty? Knights Errant went poof as well. For feth's sake, there's barely anybody left at this point who I can give a damn about in The End and the End and the End and the Death.

Edited by DarkChaplain

Leaving content and personal preferences aside, this whole announcement would feel less aggravating to me if:

A) Every new release weren't a total mess of insufficient supply

B) The pace of these releases didn't seem so glacial. If Volume 2 releases in November, that'll be a 9-month gap between the release of 1 and 2. Should we expect a similar gap between 2 and 3? I mean, if there's any truth that the whole of The End and the Death was written at once as a single novel, and that the entire thing is and has been completed... then surely a more rapid pace of releasing the parts wouldn't be amiss? 

5 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

100% he will ruin Valdor before the end.