Necron Unit of the Week Series: Skorpekh Destroyers

NTaW

NECRON UNIT OF THE WEEK SERIES

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week series for 10th edition! Each week will see a different unit from the Codex, Imperial Armour, and Legends datasheets featured for discussion. The goal here is to discover and chronicle tactics for the featured unit so that new players and veterans alike can use this database to inform their strategies with the wider knowledge of the forum. The game of Warhammer 40,000 is ever changing though, and as the rules evolve throughout the edition everyone should feel free to return to older threads with the release of new FAQs/errata, changes in points values, information gathered from games played, and of course the Codex being released. These threads are also great places for newcomers to the Necrons to post their questions about tactics related to the featured units.

Please note that the purpose of this series is not to lament what the current meta deems “ineffective”, or that another unit “does it better”. Those units will get their own threads.

This week’s unit is:

SKORPEKH DESTROYERS

Some points to ponder as we discuss the various uses of Skorpekh Destroyers:

What role do they play in your lists?

Do you take units of 3 or 6?

Do you attach a Skorpekh Lord to the unit?

Where have you gotten the best use out of the Whirling Onslaught and Plasmacyte abilities?

Series Index

I keep taking a unit of 6 with Skorpekh Lord. They keep failing to do much. That isn't their fault though (at least not entirely), my regular opponents are just bad matchups for Skorpekhs lately.

My most regular opponent right now is Grey Knights, so he just keeps redeploying away from the Skorpekhs. The only charges I've even been able to attempt against him have been 11-12" and didn't make it. So in those games they've just ended up taking an objective.

My other regular opponents have been playing AdMech and Orks. They've pit enough Rangers and Grots and other trash in the way that I never got to charge something more meaningful. I think I need to try them in a Night Scythe or something.

Ah that sucks you've not had the success. I do agree those can be bad match ups at least.

I've found them to be really solid, however. I take 2 full units, one with a Skorpekh Lord (I might get a 2nd one day) and as a shock force, behind 20 Flayed Ones, they've done really well for me.

They have great combat potential, especially if you pop a Plasmacyte.