The return of the Arvus Flyer

You know what...I don't care it's resin. I was never going to get a bunch of them for actual games. I was going to get one for a game piece to use in something like Dark Heresy/Imperium Maladictum. A one off purchase.

Now GW/FW...do the right thing and bring back the Aquila Lander.

@Orange Knight Me too- this screams Agents to me, and specifically Inquisition.

I'm probably going to buy one, because I was really kicking my butt when it disappeared.

But damn GW, if it's good enough to bring back, isn't it good enough to bring back properly? In plastic? As a GW product?

Great to see this back. I finally got round to painting the one I've had in a box for a decade or so. It even saw some table time, carrying some Solar Auxilia about. I'll grab a new one and a flamer squad to ride in it.

5 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

But damn GW, if it's good enough to bring back, isn't it good enough to bring back properly? In plastic? As a GW product?

Clearly the answer is no, or else they'd have done so. 

All the moaning that it's still resin feels like reaching IMO. It's a niche product for collectors, which is literally the whole reason for Forge World as a separate product line to exist. 

This has no use on the table top....theres plenty of other transports available to the Guard which will do the job far better.  Its only real use is in narrative gaming if its your thing. Its eye candy, nothing more....and expensive eye candy at that.  There will be plenty of lovers of it...and good for them, choice is always good....but its a real shallow HH release of a refreshed model from my perspective.

3 hours ago, beefeb said:

This has no use on the table top....theres plenty of other transports available to the Guard which will do the job far better.  Its only real use is in narrative gaming if its your thing. Its eye candy, nothing more....and expensive eye candy at that.  There will be plenty of lovers of it...and good for them, choice is always good....but its a real shallow HH release of a refreshed model from my perspective.

Not a shallow release nah. FW lost enough models knowing this one isn't the latest casualty is great. We are in a low period for heresy news wich is gonna pick up next month if you follow the road map. We have the new box and mark 3's coming up in fall and then the mystery army release and assault boys. For summer all they had slated was the Cerastus knight and Legion Champion and an upgrade set we haven't seen so this is actuallly bonus and I'm glad it wasn't more epic stuff. Sadly I think we can expect heresy news to slow down to bi weekly from now on.

44 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

This seems like an odd kit to bring out with how many, more important, things are left model less…

But good for the 5 people who will buy on I guess.

Not to pick on you, but this is why the “how GW should run their business” posts are so funny. There are five people in this thread likely to buy one. It was apparently, a very popular model, by FW standards. But people translate “I don’t want one” into “no one will want one”. 

10 hours ago, Colman said:

Not to pick on you, but this is why the “how GW should run their business” posts are so funny. There are five people in this thread likely to buy one. It was apparently, a very popular model, by FW standards. But people translate “I don’t want one” into “no one will want one”. 

Very popular? I can count on one hand after.a.very unluck 4th of July how many I've seen in the wild since release £82 for a 40pt mini is insane. I'm sure people want them he'll I'd take a dozen to use as terrain but not at nearly the cost.of the new knight lancer. 

On 8/10/2023 at 8:31 AM, Matrindur said:

Since Legion Imperialis is delayed they probably also delayed any reveal articles for it and those holes have to be filled with something.

This article seems like such filler to me. If LI wasn't delayed it would probably not have gotten its own article and just quietly get mentioned in a Forgeworld preorder article

I don't think it replaced anything, HH Thursdays have been much more barrel-scrapes in the past so this is really doesn't feel filler tier to me. It is a niche but still got its fans kit.

I think the whole "Why isn't it plastic" issue is a bit of a vicious circle. Forge World's output was always more niche stuff that couldn't justify the expense of a full plastic tooling- like the Arvus, which is IMO very cool but undeniably limited appeal. Of course, by not being plastic, the appeal is more limited, as especially these days a lot of people seem to be allergic to anything not made of plastic. Thus fewer people are willing to buy it, thus GW decide it's not worth the expense of a plastic tooling, and you get it. Now granted if FW stuff wasn't so horrifically overpriced to begin with this would be less of an issue- I know you're paying for the cost of the sculpt and making that sculpt into a semi-mass-production model (after all, silicone rubber and resin by themselves don't cost THAT much, it's the process of making the silicone into molds and the resin into models that's the expensive part!) but compared to other cast-resin models from other companies, they're still a bit on the extortionate side.

That being said, I hope this isn't a FOMO limited release. I like the Arvus a lot and if this new sculpt has less issues with fit (IIRC the original is a NIGHTMARE to assemble!) I could be tempted, it would be a great piece for a diorama.

1 hour ago, sarabando said:

Very popular? I can count on one hand after.a.very unluck 4th of July how many I've seen in the wild since release £82 for a 40pt mini is insane. I'm sure people want them he'll I'd take a dozen to use as terrain but not at nearly the cost.of the new knight lancer. 

Plenty of people don't measure points to $ when deciding on purchases. I doubt people who are buying Arvus Lighters are gamers bringing them out to their LGS etc.

You just can't compare it to the "new" knight lancer. It's a different level of investment to tweak a master and pour some fresh silicone, than it is to cut a whole new plastic kit out of steel, and then compete with hundreds of other kits for manufacturing time. 

46 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

as especially these days a lot of people seem to be allergic to anything not made of plastic.

Yep. People whinging about resin are insufferable.

The Arvus still being resin isn't surprising in the slightest. It's a very niche vehicle in an already very niche faction. Even if it was plastic, I don't think you'd suddenly see it appearing on thousands of tables. The conversation probably went something like this:

"We could make a plastic Arvus."

"Or we could use that mould and capacity for literally any other Marine vehicle and sell 1000% more."

"Hm."

Like, maybe in a few years if the rest of the Solar Auxilia line received plastic releases and they were scrambling for something else to be made plastic then maybe