Charnable v Power Weapons?

Astartes Consul

Self explanatory really, but what are people's experiences running Charnable v Power weapons?

Particularly thinking in Veteran and Command Squads, and with the potential for Veteran/Chosen to take challenges instead of an attached character. But also in general, interested to see if there is consensus on a clear better choice?

Also, do you model them any differently?

Well, in my case I use only power weapons but I'm looking bits to make my own Charnabal weapons. My idea is thin slender and long bladed weapons with no generators o cables attached. Something similar to Escher's blades (Necromunda) but bigger.

Edited by AGRAMAR

1 hour ago, AGRAMAR said:

Well, in my case I use only power weapons but I'm looking bits to make my own Charnabal weapons. My idea is thin slender and long bladed weapons with no generators o cables attached. Something similar to Escher's blades (Necromunda) but bigger.

I like this idea! I know a lot of people use the sabre from the Mk IV Power Weapons set.

I love the idea of them, but in practice find that power weapons are far superior, for the small increase in points. Fishing for 6's to cause a single wound is pretty rough, even more so since terminators and elites went to 2W each. In the last edition maybe they would have been ok. Making them brutal 2 over breaching 6 might have been more interesting. 

Sabres are great on Sergeants to duel other Sergeants as they have a decent chance of breaching artificer armour whilst striking first. On units I would always use power lances/mauls over both charnabal and other power weapons. Your not going to loose against units in 2+ Armour anyway, so you're better of just getting better at killing power armour than investing in breaching/ap2 that isn't going to save you.

5 hours ago, Xenith said:

I think units where you can take them en masse, like EC inductii work, and maybe on a large command squad or veteran squad? I forget the points though, as long as they're half the cost of the power weapon they might be ok. 

For Veterans at least, they're the same as Power Weapons. Not sure about Command Squads.

So my ten man veteran squad with accompanying Herald is probably best with a mix of Power Swords and Axes...

6 hours ago, Astartes Consul said:

For Veterans at least, they're the same as Power Weapons. Not sure about Command Squads.

So my ten man veteran squad with accompanying Herald is probably best with a mix of Power Swords and Axes...

They're the same as power weapons on command squads too.

I think on paper they look as good value as power weapons, and I was going to include some in my Blood Angels (maybe using a sanguinary guard weapon or the mk iv sabres.) Breaching 5+ makes the sabre 2/3 as good against power armour but twice as good against terminator armour as the power sword, so could give your opponent a nasty surprise. But now thinking about what @Razorblade said, I may rethink. You’re going to lose to terminators anyway, so maybe just keep for duelling sergeants.

Edited by LameBeard