Citadel Base Brushes are ...

Go to solution Solved by andes,

36 minutes ago, andes said:

I use el cheapo synthetics I get from Amazon by the bag, that way if they get ruined by basing compound, glue, washes, etc. I just chuck 'em out and grab a fresh one.

This is what I do as well, and honestly, they can survive a lot of punishment.

i think the "base brush" is for basecoating, not scooping paste onto bases, they even sell a little spatula for that purpose... never use a brush like a spoon.
I personally just use wooden coffee stirrers as a spatula for base-paste, i've used the same one for a whole army's worth of models at this point, so they go a long way, and are generally free to find a handful of... and if you need a pointier shape for finer control, just cut one end into a point

Edited by carnosaur93

The small brushes I don't rate, however their large base brush with the wedge was amazing

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/L-Base-Brush

Though it seems to be discontinued?!

I use this broad brush with a point for 90% of my painting now - great coverage and the sharp wedge end to get into crevices and such. Things go fast!

https://travellingman.com/products/wargamer-brush-large-drybrush?

Detail work I do with a W&N series 7 size 0 or 00 brush, old reliables. 

Adendum: I know it says it's a drybrush, but the bristles are really smooth and paint flows beautifully from it, I use it for contrast work, and then paintng flat armour panels like on marines. Really flexible. 

Coffee stirrers, etc. are great for getting the basing compound from the pot onto the base but a damp/wet junk brush is by far my favorite way of smooshing the stuff into nooks and crannies without me encrusting the mini up to the waist (and useful for  'washing' off bits that do make their way too far north).

Edited by andes

For basecoating models, a lot of times I use the shade brush, as I prefer something with a decent body. For basing, I have one of the texture spreaders from back when they had the sculpting tools set, and I've just used that for a long time.

I think the shade brush is the best thing GW sell for basecoating. It's probably my fav brush they do, it's very versatile. Any similar brush from an art store will work fine - bigger tends to be better, as you want a lot of body, like WrathOfTheLion says. (Also, there's a very limited number of brush manufacturers in the world, so when you buy similar brushes from different brands there's a non-zero chance you're actually buying the same product with a different handle anyway. I'm not sure who makes the current GW line, but they're not exclusive.)

1 hour ago, Urauloth said:

I'm not sure who makes the current GW line, but they're not exclusive

Apparently, it's Crown Artist Brush for the main line (and has been forever), and Winsor & Newton Series 7's for the Artificer series (according to ex-GW Tom Hibberd). 

I'll add another vote for the GW Shade brush being quite good. :smile: I also like the Rosemary & Co Series 99's (sable), and Winsor & Newton Cotman Series 101 (synthetic).

If you've got a local art supply shop, you could try having a look for some artist's watercolour brushes of a reasonable size. Or, as @andes said, you could get a bag of cheap ones from Amazon.

I use Ammo by Mig Jimeniz brushes for base coating, cheap enough but better than normal quality and I found keep a point well even though I base coat with them. 

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/tools-brushes/1715-starter-brush-set.html 

Cheers, M. 

+1 for the citadel shade brush. It's a pretty good workhorse though I mainly use it for contrasts and/or base layer below these
it's fairly chonky so holds a decent amount of paint for base layers without to much back and forward but still has a decent point on it when needed too... normally (looking at @JayJapanB's above and reconsidering this)

I've got through about 2-3 of these in a few years but keep coming back to them.

I do still use ye olde faithful too - the 'standard' brush. I've got a good few of these in various states going back 20+ years. I dont think I've ever bought one separately so they must have come from sets or magazines.

After that - I have a selection of W&N's if I need any real precision 

On 8/22/2023 at 4:43 PM, JayJapanB said:

Citadel Shade brush is probably my most used brush.

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 4.12.12 pm.png

So.... do you do eyes with your fav Brush :tongue:... that looks like a Mixing brush to me... please tell me you don't seriously use that to paint with?!?... :laugh:

M.