Rumour: Tyranids in a few weeks

3 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

"and all-new Crusade content" 

Am I going crazy or did they say codexes wouldn't include Crusade content anymore?

Yep they definitively said this at WarhammerFest.  They were talking about how in 9th there was an issue where some factions didn't get to start their crusade until the end of the edition.  This was problematic when trying to run crusade campaigns as it put some factions at a disadvantage.  They wanted to avoid this at all costs so all Crusade content would be in campaign books like Leviathan.  In the FAQ afterwards someone specifically askedif Leviathan would cover crusade for all factions and they said yes as there would be no Crusade in the Codes.

Clearly some back pedaling has gone on since then.  A few other definitives from WarhammerFest have now been proven false and I wonder how much was plannned and how much is fire fighting.

Edited by Tyriks
removed duplicated content

And to add to the list of things that have apparently gotten walked back: all the hoopla about data sheets being digital rather than in the codexes so that GW could balance them post-release without invalidating the printed books. 

10 minutes ago, Aarik said:

And to add to the list of things that have apparently gotten walked back: all the hoopla about data sheets being digital rather than in the codexes so that GW could balance them post-release without invalidating the printed books. 

We will end up with a stack of papers in addition to our codex as always. 

55 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

We will end up with a stack of papers in addition to our codex as always. 

I hope that this is the last edition where they treat codices as a rule delivery system and find another way to monetize the dynamic content. IMHO, a codex should be a hype document that catalogs the best artwork, painted model galleries, lore, excerpts of the best books, and "designer's intent" for the faction. Leave the crunch to something that is suited to frequent updates. It's such an NPE to have your new book and on day one have to stuff it with printouts to capture the errata that was picked up between the time of printing and release. 

49 minutes ago, Flaherty said:

I hope that this is the last edition where they treat codices as a rule delivery system and find another way to monetize the dynamic content. IMHO, a codex should be a hype document that catalogs the best artwork, painted model galleries, lore, excerpts of the best books, and "designer's intent" for the faction. Leave the crunch to something that is suited to frequent updates. It's such an NPE to have your new book and on day one have to stuff it with printouts to capture the errata that was picked up between the time of printing and release. 

This would make the book not required to play and thus it's unacceptable to GW.

2 hours ago, Aarik said:

It will be interesting to see just what they do update with the data cards online.  They won't add the new detachments as they need a reason for you to buy the codex.  However units themselves will they update the existing but not add anything new?  Freeze the free rules at the point the codex releases?

Well, at the very least maybe the "back-peddling" means we'll see changes that many were speculating would never come (and it'll be for the positive for the armies that need it). 

Previously it was understood that the codexes would only introduce new detachments and rules were staying the same from the indices. I know it's a "fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me" sort of situation, but maybe.. maybe there's positives to come. I do realize this is GW we are talking bout :sad:

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

This would make the book not required to play and thus it's unacceptable to GW.

As much as I'd like a book like that, I think it's not viable on their end to just have a random art and lore book. It won't sell if it's not semi-required.

So any change there would require them reevaluating how they make money and whether having it totally free increases sales enough to make even with the amount codices generate.

Given their codex-based release marketing for each faction, that's a significant sales shift, one they aren't going to just make.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

3 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

As much as I'd like a book like that, I think it's not viable on their end to just have a random art and lore book. It won't sell if it's not semi-required.

So any change there would require them reevaluating how they make money and whether having it totally free increases sales enough to make even with the amount codices generate.

Given their codex-based release marketing for each faction, that's a significant sales shift, one they aren't going to just make.

I remember Privateer Press saying that once they turned their army books into a primarily lore/painting resource and focused on digital for crunch, sales of them dropped like a cement brick by comparison. 

With that being said, I read the leaked Cities of Sigmar Battletome the other week and it feels like the absolute gold standard of what a Codex/Battletome/Army Book should be. Brimming with fantastic lore, actually useful hobby guides for newbies, lots of different colour schemes painted up and plenty of crunch. Oh and actual lore for unit entries (and CoS has a lot of units). 

If AoS can manage that then James surely can't be too stingy about ink and paper for their flagship product, or so you'd think.

Edited by Lord Marshal

4 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

I remember Privateer Press saying that once they turned their army books into a primarily lore/painting resource and focused on digital for crunch, sales of them dropped like a cement brick by comparison. 

With that being said, I read the leaked Cities of Sigmar Battletome the other week and it feels like the absolute gold standard of what a Codex/Battletome/Army Book should be. Brimming with fantastic lore, actually useful hobby guides for newbies, lots of different colour schemes painted up and plenty of crunch. Oh and actual lore for unit entries (and CoS has a lot of units). 

If AoS can manage that then James surely can't be too stingy about ink and paper for their flagship product, or so you'd think.

I don't think it's about being "stingy", I think it's just a design philosophy thing that differs between the systems. AoS's print products have been significantly better than 40K's for at least a full edition now, people were almost universally positive about the Broken Realms campaign books for example, which certainly isn't often the case with Campaign Books in 40k. I've not seen Cities of Sigmar yet but both the Seraphon and Slaves to Darkness books were good too, IMO

I'm definitely interested in what direction the Tyranids book takes because it will probably determine whether or not I'm interested in participating in the game at all this edition. 

My boy feels the same; unless this tome is value for money and part of that value includes decent rules with some obvious longevity he's happy to keep playing Index rules.

Obviously the "stingy" design philosophy only goes so far when you're targeting youth.

10 hours ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Well, at the very least maybe the "back-peddling" means we'll see changes that many were speculating would never come (and it'll be for the positive for the armies that need it). 

Previously it was understood that the codexes would only introduce new detachments and rules were staying the same from the indices. I know it's a "fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me" sort of situation, but maybe.. maybe there's positives to come. I do realize this is GW we are talking bout :sad:

The codexes where already printed when the reveal stream was on, so any changes from index would already have been made, and without any influence from the community 

6 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

The AoS battletomes have been leagues ahead of 40k codexes for a while now. More lore, more photos and actual hobby content. 

Well, here's the prices. Ouch!

CODEX: TYRANIDS £35.00

DATASHEET CARDS: TYRANIDS £20.00

TYRANIDS:GENESTEALERS £32.50

TYRANIDS: HORMAGAUNTS £30.00

TYRANIDS: LICTOR £30.00

TYRANIDS: DEATHLEAPER £37.50

TYRANIDS: NORN EMISSARY £70.00

TYRANIDS: NEUROLICTOR £25.00

TYRANIDS: TERMAGANTS £27.50

TYRANIDS: BIOVORE £30.00

WARHAMMER 40000: TYRANIDS DICE£18.00

5 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

35£ will turn into about $105 here.

He says "Maybe for something decent, but not for a tenth book".

Lolz, gotta love the honesty of youth.

Combining the cost of book and cards is eye watering. 

I could have sworn the 3 lictors were based off the same kit but apparently not. Genuinely surprised they're 3 different kits.

2 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

I could have sworn the 3 lictors were based off the same kit but apparently not. Genuinely surprised they're 3 different kits.

Yep.

I might shout him the book, but the cards are a hard nope. 

Also, how many Hormies for that price? 20??

20 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

I was unwilling to believe the rumour it was three different kits myself. 

I’m mildly annoyed by this release because on the one hand they’ve updated some long overdue kits like the ‘vores and Lictors.

On the other, rather than giving us an OOE/Fex kit, or dedicated Alpha Warrior or Neuthrope kits they’ve instead just made up new units…that seems suspiciously like the aforementioned things.

As to the idea that this Codex will set the standard for those to come…I would stunned and overwhelmed by joy were that to be the case. But I remember the very stripped back Codex Dark Angels (5th Ed?) the was thought to herald a new era of sensible codex design only for the very next codex (which was Space Marines, just to run salt into the wound) was the complete opposite.

40 minutes ago, Zoatibix said:

I was unwilling to believe the rumour it was three different kits myself. 

I’m mildly annoyed by this release because on the one hand they’ve updated some long overdue kits like the ‘vores and Lictors.

On the other, rather than giving us an OOE/Fex kit, or dedicated Alpha Warrior or Neuthrope kits they’ve instead just made up new units…that seems suspiciously like the aforementioned things.

As to the idea that this Codex will set the standard for those to come…I would stunned and overwhelmed by joy were that to be the case. But I remember the very stripped back Codex Dark Angels (5th Ed?) the was thought to herald a new era of sensible codex design only for the very next codex (which was Space Marines, just to run salt into the wound) was the complete opposite.

For as long as I remember the early 3-5 codexes have been sensible, and then the creep starts.

For me it is more about how the book is a an actual codex. The 9th edition ones where god awful. Little lore. No unit lore. Mini photo pages where bland and few.