How Much Wolf is Too Much Wolf?

TheNicronomicon
Go to solution Solved by Karhedron,

how cautious should I be about sticking 3d printed or resin bits on my Wolves? I've got these backpacks with wolf's heads on them (they look like a Primaris version of the old on on the upgrade sprue, or maybe Ragnar's backpack) and I want to use them across the army. will that prevent me from taking part in official tournaments and such? I know greenstuff is OK to use to add things, and I'm planning to do that for fur, but I'm not about to try recreating these myself. just trying to figure out how wolfy I want to go with these boys.

(I've already stuck them onto some intercessors, and they look good! But I'm more hesitant to use the non-GW bits I have on Chaplains, officers, and other leader-types since the individual models are pricey. Like I think I could turn a fresh box of intercessors into a full unit with 3 colors in a week or so, but I'd gnash my teeth over having to spend $40 on another LT in Phobos Armor if the model is illegal because I used resin bits on it.)

I am personally an adept of the proportions GW used in its first SW boxed sets: 3 to 4 wolfyzied marines out of 10. The other ones quite standard and unified through paint scheme only.

Only exception I applied is for Wolf Guards. These go 100% wolf back packs, pelts, tails, fur and feral bitz...

• Solution

From memory, even in official tournaments, models only have to be "mostly" made of GW parts. If you are just sticking on parts like printed shoulder pads and the like, you should be fine.

Wolfing up expensive character models can be daunting at first but is really good fun once you get over the nerves. Here is my Not Marneus Calgar.

large.20230304_222244.jpg.dfff43b197e0ba

large.20230304_222213.jpg.0213a9ad470688

Edited by Karhedron

32 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

I am personally an adept of the proportions GW used in its first SW boxed sets: 3 to 4 wolfyzied marines out of 10. The other ones quite standard and unified through paint scheme only.

Only exception I applied is for Wolf Guards. These go 100% wolf back packs, pelts, tails, fur and feral bitz...

Thank you! I honestly hadn't considered only wolfing up a couple guys and was planning on giving all of them at least some pelts and runes. Then again I do sometimes have a tendency to go overboard

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

From memory, even in official tournaments, models only have to be "mostly" made of GW parts. If you are just sticking on parts like printed shoulder pads and the like, you should be fine.

Wolfing up expensive character models can be daunting at first but is really good fun once you get over the nerves. Here is my Not Marneus Calgar.

large.20230304_222244.jpg.dfff43b197e0ba

large.20230304_222213.jpg.0213a9ad470688

oh man, he looks fantastic! 

Yeah mostly backpacks, heads, and the occasional pauldron. Very much appreciate the reassurance. 

Edited by TheNicronomicon
typo

On 8/15/2023 at 12:02 AM, Gamiel said:

In one of the WD we saw a SW Bladeguard that was not kitbashed and was only SW-upp using paint and transfears, and it looked good. I say that many times do nothing but different markings and transfers do lots of work.

I have to agree with this.

A Chapter specific paintjob can go a long way to make a unified force. 

And not just for Wolves. 

EVERY Salamander clad in Dragonskin, carrying an Anvil and some Smith's tools would look ridiculous for a big force.

Same for any Chapter and their "thematic".

Many people opted to change the shields or swords on the Bladeguards for aesthetic reasons. But you don't have to.

Mine still have the Indomitus-Towershields, but where painted with the black and yellow markings of the Wolfguard and Golden Trim. In -my- personal taste they look absolutely :cuss:in' baller.

In general for a certain "logic" - of your own! - in a narrative, worldbuilding sense.

Fresh Intercessors/Assault Intercessors probably have little when it comes to totems, tokens and medals - but their sergeant/pack leader might be a veteran for quite a while.

Regular Reivers are probably carrying little decorum, for tacticool stealth and practicality reasons.

Hounds of Morkai tho, probably carry some runic totems or have marks on their armor, painted on by a Runepriest.

Same for Anything else in your Army.

As you did for your Judiciar, I have done for ALL my Wolf Priests (Primaris Apothecaries & Primaris Chaplains of all Flavours - sometimes kitbashed to represent a mix) - They all got a Wolf Skull Helmet from the Deathsworn kit and carry one of the Vortex Grenades. (It's my Chapter's "Break Glass in Case of [Wulfen] Emergency")

If your Company/Chapter/Warband/whatever is a bunch of Headtakers, aurely they all carry some extra knives and skull trophies - with the HQs carrying some Skull-Trophy-Racks from the Wulfen kit.

If they are stuck in a long campaign on a feral world full of Tundra Forests and Swamps, maybe they all wear pelts, skins or even greenery (Like a Guilliee suit) for camoflage, to blend in and take the enemy by surprise.

(Someone on Instagram did a - Bear-themed, I think? - force like that. Also with other animals as alternative Thunderwolf-mounts and the tanks loaded with extra supplies and the like)

Maybe your Force is full of Heroes trying to carve out their own legends. No squad heraldry, they all wear personal heraldry on their right shoulder (or even both?).

Or your men's Hunt has been lead by a Runepriest's Visions and they have all been adorned with extra runes (There's tiny brass etched runes easily available from various hobby suppliers you can just glue on - you don't have to freehand them) and various blessed markings on their armors, shields and weapons.

Do whatever you like, battle-brother!

These are your men to command!

The only thing the Allfather demands is that you fight the good fight! 

Bring war to the traitors, hunt the Xenos and punish the heretics!

(And never hesitate to ask for help, critique or ideas from your fellow fraters. The SW-Subforum especially is a good place in the bigger hobbysphere)

3 hours ago, RikuEru said:

If your Company/Chapter/Warband/whatever is a bunch of Headtakers, aurely they all carry some extra knives and skull trophies - with the HQs carrying some Skull-Trophy-Racks from the Wulfen kit.

Just want to mention that the White Scars upgrade kit have some real fitting parts for a headtakers concept.

On 8/14/2023 at 10:47 PM, TheNicronomicon said:

Wolf Priest/Judiciar WIP! Painting the head separately from the body so it’s just balanced in there for the pic. 

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

I am liking that backpack, very crisp for a 3d print, can you share where you got it from please?

Edited by sbarnby71

6 hours ago, sbarnby71 said:

I am liking that backpack, very crisp for a 3d print, can you share where you got it from please?

Thank you! I found it on Etsy at a shop called ProxyWorldPoland. They're on hiatus right now but this shop seems to have the same models. Haven't ordered from them so can't speak to print quality.

23 hours ago, RikuEru said:

I have to agree with this.

A Chapter specific paintjob can go a long way to make a unified force. 

And not just for Wolves. 

EVERY Salamander clad in Dragonskin, carrying an Anvil and some Smith's tools would look ridiculous for a big force.

Same for any Chapter and their "thematic".

Many people opted to change the shields or swords on the Bladeguards for aesthetic reasons. But you don't have to.

Mine still have the Indomitus-Towershields, but where painted with the black and yellow markings of the Wolfguard and Golden Trim. In -my- personal taste they look absolutely :cuss:in' baller.

In general for a certain "logic" - of your own! - in a narrative, worldbuilding sense.

Fresh Intercessors/Assault Intercessors probably have little when it comes to totems, tokens and medals - but their sergeant/pack leader might be a veteran for quite a while.

Regular Reivers are probably carrying little decorum, for tacticool stealth and practicality reasons.

Hounds of Morkai tho, probably carry some runic totems or have marks on their armor, painted on by a Runepriest.

Same for Anything else in your Army.

As you did for your Judiciar, I have done for ALL my Wolf Priests (Primaris Apothecaries & Primaris Chaplains of all Flavours - sometimes kitbashed to represent a mix) - They all got a Wolf Skull Helmet from the Deathsworn kit and carry one of the Vortex Grenades. (It's my Chapter's "Break Glass in Case of [Wulfen] Emergency")

If they are stuck in a long campaign on a feral world full of Tundra Forests and Swamps, maybe they all wear pelts, skins or even greenery (Like a Guilliee suit) for camoflage, to blend in and take the enemy by surprise.

(Someone on Instagram did a - Bear-themed, I think? - force like that. Also with other animals as alternative Thunderwolf-mounts and the tanks loaded with extra supplies and the like)

Maybe your Force is full of Heroes trying to carve out their own legends. No squad heraldry, they all wear personal heraldry on their right shoulder (or even both?).

Or your men's Hunt has been lead by a Runepriest's Visions and they have all been adorned with extra runes (There's tiny brass etched runes easily available from various hobby suppliers you can just glue on - you don't have to freehand them) and various blessed markings on their armors, shields and weapons.

Do whatever you like, battle-brother!

These are your men to command!

The only thing the Allfather demands is that you fight the good fight! 

Bring war to the traitors, hunt the Xenos and punish the heretics!

(And never hesitate to ask for help, critique or ideas from your fellow fraters. The SW-Subforum especially is a good place in the bigger hobbysphere)

I *love* kitbashing and sticking bits together, so I've already got the pieces for wolfing up my Bladeguard :sweat: Thanks for the reminder about the Vortex grenades! And I've been assembling the bits to make my units distinct (looking forward to putting together a squad of Desolators or Hellblasters as Long Fangs in particular!), with some green stuff for pelts and maybe beards if I feel brave.

Thinking of doing Heresy grays and reds with yellow Blackmanes livery. (Grey/yellow is a favorite color combo for me.) And I've got bits for assembling my own Primaris Ancients & Company Champions. (I know we have non-generic leaders but I like the challenge of kit bashing something that will be both wolfy and recognizable as what it's supposed to be. (Finding the time to do it is a different story, with a 3-month old in the house!) 

On the wolfing up topic, I tend to go for seniority, so basic troops have a wolf tail, some runes, troop leaders get a wolfed up shoulder pad and weapons and so and so on.  Having said that I don't play so I only build and paint for display, I usually only build 1-off pieces, so I do add a bit more wolfness.

It's your hobby and money, so do what you like, if you end up with a character so wolfed up you can only see his eyes, I see some of the Jarls having collected so many wolf bits over the centuries that on a cold day, they like to wrap up in all the pelts and tails they own.

This is a Redemptor I made when they first came out and he is wolfed right up, but in my head he is an ancient as I don't have any time-line I work to, so one day Primaris will be 100s of years old:

Redemptor 87.JPG

Redemptor 84.jpg

Redemptor 83.jpg

Edited by sbarnby71
grammer