Salamanders on Armageddon

apologist

DBDD8354-8845-4159-8C9D-000A7F7ADEB2.jpeg

'As your body is a bastion for the weak; so must your character be a lighthouse.'

Aphorisms of Proculus, Legion XVIII–

8E448454-005E-43DE-88DD-510F6FBAEDF3.jpeg

The wind brought the tang of chemicals. Even this far from Acheron, on the Deep Roads, the ash-desert surface was laced with production run-off. It gathered in the depressions, where lurid yellows, magentas and cyans had formed cleanly-distinguishable layers.

Elsewhere – including the rudimentary road along which Magnificence grumbled – the landscape was a uniform dirty grey-yellow. The sky was the same grey-yellow, tinted by a dirty haze. Through this haze a dirty white sun scowled unmercifully down on the convoy.

Four vehicles, a handful of outriders, and nothing else but dunes from horizon to horizon. 

Somewhere ahead – far ahead – was the Plutus river. The vast plain between Acheron and Infernus hives was not conventionally attractive, thought Numatone, whatever that aesthete Tarsidemi said about chem-rainbows at sunset. It was bleak here, with little to commend the outlands of Armageddon to anyone.

Numatone's thoughts darkened. Anyone but the gurm kenndh, that is. Damnable orks.

+++

22 minutes ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Nice work - I like the green tone you're using. Can I ask which colours you used?

Thanks, and you certainly can – here's a breakdown of the process, skipping everything except the green:

1. Undercoat brown – I used Halfords' brown from their camouflage range.
  2. Spray front and back with dark green (again, the green from Halford's camouflage range), with the can at a shallow angle – around 30 degrees off horizontal.
  3. Spray front and back using Colour Forge's Salamanders green spray. Work from a higher angle (around 45 degrees) to put a zenithal highlight on the model.
  4. A very thin wash of burnt umber oil paint. You could skip this stage, or do panel lining with Agrax Earthshade instead.
  5. A mix of Warpstone Glow and Moot Green for the highlights. Vary the proportions – use more moot green on the head, pauldrons etc.; and more Warpstone Glow on the legs and areas in shadow.

Here's a picture of a WIP – the figure on the left is after step 3; the one on the right is after step 4. The vast majority of the work on the green is done with spray or oils, applied with a 12mm (½in) filbert brush.

DC62C7D1-9168-4230-B552-C643CD704D95.jpeg

Thanks! It's quite a different tone compared to my first attempts using Snot Green way back when - mine came out with a bit "brighter" or "stronger" green, despite being a similar colour (of course, I prefer darker tones for them...) - I guess it's the oils and the underpainting :smile:

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

+ Squad Orurr +

97871DEF-C788-4B80-B177-9388E16A933F.jpe

Ten finished – and if you'd like to follow the exploits of the Salamanders' 2nd company in the aftermath of the Badab War and the fires of the Second Battle for Armageddon, please do follow along with the Dust of Armageddon project linked at the top. I'm enjoying exploring the lore and background of the Salamanders, and it's proving to have all sorts of interesting fluff avenues to pursue! :)