Oc 0 and controlling objectives

blacksnapt

Hi all, it came up in a game and honestly to me i dont think you can but my opponent said that he could so I let him but i would like some clarification on the topic, Can oc0 models hold objectives? In our game it was a spore mine shot out of a biovore onto an objective ... It that objective now controlled by a unit with oc0????

The rules for objectives are on page 58 of the rules PDF.  It appears to indicate the following:

A)  You control an objective by moving a unit into range of it.

B)  You determine the relevant OC by adding up the OC of all models within range (this is referred to as "Level of Control" in the Commentary).

C)  If opposing sides are both within range of it, compare the relevant OCs and the highest controls it.

D)  If both sides have the same relevant OC, the objective is "contested".  It doesn't define what "contested" means.

Now, by these rules alone, I would say that an OC 0 unit can claim an objective as the base rules don't require the unit moving into range of it to have an OC to claim it.

However, the Commentary (at page 4) changes this.  It does the following.

1)  All objectives start the game as contested.  Given this statement, it is clear that "contested" means no one controls it.

2)  It defines controlling an objective as a player having a greater level of control over the objective then their opponent at the end of the phase.

So, under the Commentary, you can't control an objective with a OC 0 unit as it can't give you a greater level of control than your opponent - if a 0 OC unit moves onto an otherwise unoccupied objective, both your and your opponent's levels of control are 0, meaning it remains contested.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

On 8/15/2023 at 8:58 PM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

The rules for objectives are on page 58 of the rules PDF.  It appears to indicate the following:

A)  You control an objective by moving a unit into range of it.

B)  You determine the relevant OC by adding up the OC of all models within range (this is referred to as "Level of Control" in the Commentary).

C)  If opposing sides are both within range of it, compare the relevant OCs and the highest controls it.

D)  If both sides have the same relevant OC, the objective is "contested".  It doesn't define what "contested" means.

Now, by these rules alone, I would say that an OC 0 unit can claim an objective as the base rules don't require the unit moving into range of it to have an OC to claim it.

However, the Commentary (at page 4) changes this.  It does the following.

1)  All objectives start the game as contested.  Given this statement, it is clear that "contested" means no one controls it.

2)  It defines controlling an objective as a player having a greater level of control over the objective then their opponent at the end of the phase.

So, under the Commentary, you can't control an objective with a OC 0 unit as it can't give you a greater level of control than your opponent - if a 0 OC unit moves onto an otherwise unoccupied objective, both your and your opponent's levels of control are 0, meaning it remains contested.

That would mean that a 0oc unit could hold an objective after youve controlled it right?

There isn't any assumption built into the rules in the compendium about controlling an objective until your opponent controls it - having it contested is enough to remove a player's control.  You check at the end of every phase who has the higher OC - and since you would still have 0 OC vs 0 OC, it would become contested. 

Note, this is different than those units that allow you to continue to control an objective after they have moved away - to my recollection of the wording of such unit rules, those require actual possession of the objective to break your control.  But in those cases having a 0 OC unit hang around doesn't do anything for you that the unit's rule doesn't do already.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui