How do I take casualties on Rapier Batteries?

dicebod

File this under "I've had this question for so long at this point I'm afraid to ask..."

I have a unit of three rapier laser destroyers with six total crew. How do I take casualties on that unit? Do I kill the crew then the battery? Could I kill three of the crewmembers before losing the ability to shoot with all three of the batteries? 

14 hours ago, dicebod said:

File this under "I've had this question for so long at this point I'm afraid to ask..."

I have a unit of three rapier laser destroyers with six total crew. How do I take casualties on that unit? Do I kill the crew then the battery? Could I kill three of the crewmembers before losing the ability to shoot with all three of the batteries? 

You apply wounds as you like. 

This is a bit of an edge case – but while it might be a bit unclear using the core rules, the card helps clear it up.

In short, you allocate all successfully wounding attacks to one Rapier model until it is destroyed.  In your example above, you couldn't remove 'spare' crew members leaving all guns functional. The crew are, in effect, simply wound tokens for the relevant Rapier. 

image.png.fc8a3decd944deaeb2b8d403a93a1441.png

image.png.61b7b85c8a8a72c85988657fe6af309e.png

Ah, derp – just realised this was posted in the Horus Heresy section, so assume that you meant for Ago of Darkness rules, right? Sorry, clicked through from the front page. I've spoilered my initial answer (for 10th edition 40k). In AoD, I believe as @Gorgoff says, you can apply the wounds as you like – so yes, you can kill off three crew members while still leaving three functional guns.

Edited by apologist

56 minutes ago, apologist said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is a bit of an edge case – but while it might be a bit unclear using the core rules, the card helps clear it up.

In short, you allocate all successfully wounding attacks to one Rapier model until it is destroyed.  In your example above, you couldn't remove 'spare' crew members leaving all guns functional. The crew are, in effect, simply wound tokens for the relevant Rapier. 

image.png.fc8a3decd944deaeb2b8d403a93a1441.png

image.png.61b7b85c8a8a72c85988657fe6af309e.png

Ah, derp – just realised this was posted in the Horus Heresy section, so assume that you meant for Ago of Darkness rules, right? Sorry, clicked through from the front page. I've spoilered my initial answer (for 10th edition 40k). In AoD, I believe as @Gorgoff says, you can apply the wounds as you like – so yes, you can kill off three crew members while still leaving three functional guns.

You were right in one thing though: if you apply one wound to a rapier you have to keep doing so unless it is dead.

So I guess the "ideal" way to do this would be:

First three wounds the unit takes = kill three crewmembers. This leaves you with three crewmembers and three batteries, along with the ability to continue shooting with all three, in addition to making the unit T5 vs. shooting attacks since there are an equal number of T5 and T4 models.

Next wound would kill a crewmember, leaving you with the ability to only shoot with two batteries. The next two wounds you take after that would go on to the battery itself (since @Gorgoff notes above you have to keep taking wounds on a multiwound model once you've started allocating wounds to it). From there, you would follow this pattern until the unit is destroyed.

1 hour ago, dicebod said:

So I guess the "ideal" way to do this would be:

First three wounds the unit takes = kill three crewmembers. This leaves you with three crewmembers and three batteries, along with the ability to continue shooting with all three, in addition to making the unit T5 vs. shooting attacks since there are an equal number of T5 and T4 models.

Next wound would kill a crewmember, leaving you with the ability to only shoot with two batteries. The next two wounds you take after that would go on to the battery itself (since @Gorgoff notes above you have to keep taking wounds on a multiwound model once you've started allocating wounds to it). From there, you would follow this pattern until the unit is destroyed.

Thats exactly the best way to do it.

Just watch out for leadership tests, especially during night.

3 hours ago, TheTrans said:

And can't see very well in it with their multi-spectrum occular sensoria in their helmets, let alone their 'naturally' amazing transhuman eye sight. 

Or at least not better than the militia hoomies. :whistling:

Gaming wise it is a nice rule but the image from a squad of bioengineered transhumans huddling arount their Vox operator is just too funny. "Co....command? Are you still there? It is so spooky arount here!"