Bring back honor guard?

I’ve always resented the SG for replacing the HG. Less so now, but it’s always in the back of my mind when I think about either unit, kinda like the thirst.

so how would you guys prefer to see the HG return?

im thinking SG can be attached to WL only, and HG attached to any HQ option.

now what should the HG look like?

command squad w/ jump pack is a bit to bland for my tastes but I don’t think it shouldn’t be too far off from that.

Agree, "Command Squad with Jump Packs" is exactly what it was and should continue to be, and that's how you have a role for both of them within the army. One is a Company-level unit while the other is a much rarer Chapter-level unit. They can be a bit more flexible and tactical than Sanguinary Guard with special weapons and whatnot rather than just the chop-chop the SG offer.

I've been mulling this one over for a couple days. I like command squads & honor guards. That said I like that BA have a unique honor guard - feel like that makes more sense (for every chapter) - a fluffy honor guard. I do wish we could put a priest in the Sang Guard (feel like we used to be able to do that).

My ideas for changes may get convoluted, and would certainly be too much for the Codex. For example: ONLY Sang Guard for Honor Guard.  At the Warlord level you can take a full squad (10). At the Company Level it would be a half squad (5) to reflect the lower status of the Commander. Maybe (probably) restrict it to Captains only. Lieutenants just get a command squad.

I would Codify the Erelim. They could be identical stats to the Sang Guard - could even be under a single entry with SG, but with the option to make them Erelim - perhaps give different weapon loadout, etc. The entry would specify that Erelim are for Chaplains only.  Astorath would get a full 10 man squad, and any other Chaplain could get 5.

We get access to all Codex Marine units now - at least that was true in 9th and seems like it will continue in 10th, so we already have access to command squads and company champions.  To stay fluffy I would love any BA Codex to add wargear options to both to make them BA specific without reinventing the wheel.   A BA Company Champion, especially, should be VERY BA-centric. Maybe CO Champions are potential Sang Guard (kind of like the Judiciar is a "pre-chaplain.") 

Anyway - just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Just to be ‘that guy’ I don’t recall techmarines being in normal command squads at any point so they’re already “command squad plus” :P

id definitely prefer to swap the techmarine for VGV style champion.

Techmarines were in the command squads back in 3rd edition (which is when the Honour Guard came out). I agree though that some sort of Champion would be preferable as the HG are more likely to want to get stuck in than hang around patching up vehicles. On the other hand, it could be very useful for buffing and repairing nearby Dreads.

s-l1600.jpg

For options I’d like

5 veteran marines- all 5 are armed with bolt rifle and heavy bolt pistol

bolt rifle can be replaced with chainsword, power weapon, or combiweapon

1 veteran maybe upgraded to a sanguinary priest

1 veteran maybe upgraded to a company champion

all may be equipped with jump packs

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

I would really like Command Squad to be back and would also like to be able to tailor it to my heart's desire specific tactical conditions.
I don't see it happening in game terms seeing how GW currently restricts our options of adding characters to squads

Anyway a full-jump pack squad should definitely be a thing for us, but I'd like to see Terminator armor options as well. 
In terms of members - a Sanguinary Guard-champion style member as well as a Veteran Sergeant with tailored armament. Standard Bearer obviously and an Apothecary-Sanguinary Novitiate upgradeable to a full Sanguinary Priest. Techmarine obviously but let's not forget our Librarians and Chaplains as well.

Edited by Majkhel