Initial Reconnaissance

Blade of Sigismund

I'm looking to potentially start a Deathwatch force with the leviathan box, as my Black Templar don't use or need several things from the box.

The concern is that the index may vary wildly from what the force looks like in a few months, making this a bad time to get rolling. Does this check out? Or have the rules/builds been fairly consistent? 

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 2:08 AM, Blade of Sigismund said:

I'm looking to potentially start a Deathwatch force with the leviathan box, as my Black Templar don't use or need several things from the box.

The concern is that the index may vary wildly from what the force looks like in a few months, making this a bad time to get rolling. Does this check out? Or have the rules/builds been fairly consistent? 

Sadly deathwatch are incredibly inconsistent between editions regarding unit weapons, load outs, what models can join what squads and everything in between.

I would highly recommend sticking to basic units, intercessors, terminators, veterans with standard load out until they have their own supplement for this edition or your likely to get stung by DW not having access or only being able to take the unit in a certain format which requires models you don’t have.

Ignore any multi unit kill team rules when considering what to buy, ignore, bikes, vanguard vets, old mk tanks like rhinos, Razorbacks other than landraider and the corvus flyer, only put stock int he basic hq choices and don’t bank on ancients or command squads, also only look at redemptor dreads.

Some of these units may be fine but they are under threat and the knife always cuts deeper into the Deathwatch with each edition.