Necron Unit of the Week Series: Overlord

NTaW

NECRON UNIT OF THE WEEK SERIES

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week series for 10th edition! Each week will see a different unit from the Codex, Imperial Armour, and Legends datasheets featured for discussion. The goal here is to discover and chronicle tactics for the featured unit so that new players and veterans alike can use this database to inform their strategies with the wider knowledge of the forum. The game of Warhammer 40,000 is ever changing though, and as the rules evolve throughout the edition everyone should feel free to return to older threads with the release of new FAQs/errata, changes in points values, information gathered from games played, and of course the Codex being released. These threads are also great places for newcomers to the Necrons to post their questions about tactics related to the featured units.

Please note that the purpose of this series is not to lament what the current meta deems “ineffective”, or that another unit “does it better”. Those units will get their own threads.

This week’s unit is:

Overlord

What unit do you most often attach an Overlord to, and why?

Which Enhancements are of most use? 

What is your preferred equipment loadout?

What stratagems are best used with the My Will Be Done ability?

Series Index

Ok, I’ll go first with pure theory hammer…

seems like an overlord with res orb is a natural fit for 10 lychguard or 20 warriors. He can provide resurrection, melee, free stratagems … 

In my few games so far in 10th I’ve been running immortals and for them he just seems too expensive (85 points on a 140 point unit, that probably wants a plasmancer already and is hopefully staying out of melee… a bit character heavy).   Has anyone used overlord with immortals ?

I did try Overlord with Immortals a few times. They never lived long enough to use a rez orb or anything.

I've been running Overlords in my Warriors units but I'm wondering if just a Lord would be better. I haven't been able to play the last few weeks so I haven't been able to test it yet but I'm wondering if those points can be used better elsewhere. MWBD is incredibly powerful but I almost always forget to use it (though getting bonus RP after a really rough round of shooting can keep a squad alive, so maybe I would miss it).

Edited by Tyriks
clarified

Armed with a Voidscythe and a Res Orb, in a Lychguard Brick with a Technomancer and Cryptothralls, prioritising using Protocol of the Undying Legion but having the option to flex either Counter Assault or Hungering Void in melee. Makes the unit more resilient and able to anchor objectives, which is what you want to do with the unit. The Lord can also threaten in combat with Dev wounds.

Weirdly, I've found Warrior blobs to be pretty mediocre for this kind of role as you end up with a very expensive unit which doesn't do much, and the blob doesn't want to be in melee so the Lord is wasted there. 

Never tried it with an Immortals unit, I run those with a Plasmancer (Tesla) or Chronomancer (Gauss) and usually Veil on the Plasmancer unit as a redeploy threat, and the Chronomancer can help a unit step out of cover, shoot the midboard and then step back after shooting.