Test Scheme and Decal Question

Go to solution Solved by TCC,

Hi Everyone,

I've had a bit of a hobby slump for a while and have finally managed to pull together the motivation to finish off a test scheme I've been working on for some Cadians; I really like the classic colour scheme, so have aimed for that:

TestCadianFront.thumb.jpg.df971e5409f9a7fd53b00f79724c3597.jpg

The part where I'm struggling is the 'correct' way to do the transfers/decals; there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide like there is for Space Marines (hooray for the Codex Astartes!), and my searching is turning up conflicting information.

What I have been able to find seems to agree that the Cadian Gate symbol goes on the right shoulder pad, and any numbering goes on the left. Things... diverge... after that point. I've seen:

1. The number on the shoulder pad is the regiment number (Though I could imagine space on the pad becomes an issue after the 999th regiment...)
  2. The number on the shoulder pad denotes company, platoon and squad for the first, second and third digit respectively (Though the transfer sheet has decals for '728', '317' and '501' - none of which seem to align to the 'traditional' 1 command section and 5 squads model)
  3. The number on the shoulder pad is a unique squad number within a given regiment

Is any one of these more or less accurate, or is it a case of the Imperial Guard being a tuly vast organisation with significant divergence in unit and detachment markings, even within the Cadian regiments (which translates to 'paint your toy soldiers however you please')?

In any case, I'd like to get some more options for squad numbering than is presented on the stock sheet from GW, so may have to print my own. Does anyone know the font used for the squad numbers at all?

Thanks!

I put the Cadian gate symbol on the left shoulder pad for two reasons.

1: some of the right shoulder parts are used for rank markings and special weapon men by having these moulded into the plastic and therefore you cannot fit the gate on those pads

2: An image I found had them on the left so I decided that the gate could be swopped around and I chose the pad I thought was best ^ see above

Edited by TCC

2 hours ago, Ikthelion Orthos said:

Hi Everyone,

I've had a bit of a hobby slump for a while and have finally managed to pull together the motivation to finish off a test scheme I've been working on for some Cadians; I really like the classic colour scheme, so have aimed for that:

TestCadianFront.thumb.jpg.df971e5409f9a7fd53b00f79724c3597.jpg

The part where I'm struggling is the 'correct' way to do the transfers/decals; there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide like there is for Space Marines (hooray for the Codex Astartes!), and my searching is turning up conflicting information.

What I have been able to find seems to agree that the Cadian Gate symbol goes on the right shoulder pad, and any numbering goes on the left. Things... diverge... after that point. I've seen:

1. The number on the shoulder pad is the regiment number (Though I could imagine space on the pad becomes an issue after the 999th regiment...)
  2. The number on the shoulder pad denotes company, platoon and squad for the first, second and third digit respectively (Though the transfer sheet has decals for '728', '317' and '501' - none of which seem to align to the 'traditional' 1 command section and 5 squads model)
  3. The number on the shoulder pad is a unique squad number within a given regiment

Is any one of these more or less accurate, or is it a case of the Imperial Guard being a tuly vast organisation with significant divergence in unit and detachment markings, even within the Cadian regiments (which translates to 'paint your toy soldiers however you please')?

In any case, I'd like to get some more options for squad numbering than is presented on the stock sheet from GW, so may have to print my own. Does anyone know the font used for the squad numbers at all?

Thanks!

Number 3 is what I read somewhere and numbers with skulls in are for command squads. I cannot remember the source now but will have a look.

Edited by TCC

Also, some may find useful (especially with the changing meta), I don’t number my heavy weapons or special weapons guys, I add a symbol such as skull or Aquila to donate them as special = skull and Aquila = heavy. This means I can easily move them to support any squad in the army and they are not clashing with the squad numbers and gives them another recognisable feature other than the weapon.

Edited by TCC

Another option for numbering gaurd is the original way (I believe it is still the standard for gaurd, not that cadia followed it).

It is the two colour circle with a number inside it. Colour 1 is company, colour 2 is platoon, and the number is squad.

The right shoulder is supposed to be for the current army group or crusade marking as well BTW.  This one cadia does follow.  The cadian gate is the symbol for all regiments assigned to protect the gate.  Or I guess it was the symbol for that till cadia blew up.

Edited by Spyboy