The Justice Keepers - Dr. Ruminahui's heretic guardsmen

Dr_Ruminahui

Well, sooner it or later it was going to happen - with this thread, I will now have an army showcase in each of the main chaos subforums.

This is a very new project - I only started it next week, though I have been collecting the pieces without any real plan for them for a while. 

The first piece of the project was the guardsmen from the Servants of the Abyss (also in Blackstone Fortress) box, which I had never built as I didn't really have a use of 7 models with mixed rifles and close combat loadouts.

I had bought the Orktarius kill team box for the terrain and ork models for a friend, and has the Krieg models left over.  I had been idly thinking about how to convert them to be chaos guard pretty since I got them, but hadn't really come up with anything more specific than "remove imperial symbols, add spikes & fur" but hadn't really come up with any real plan to make it both look good but not be super fragile for the spikes.

More recently, I bought the kill team set with the renegade guard & chaos commissar + ogryn, but it too had been sitting without a real plan for its use.

Then, a couple of weekends ago after not wanting to paint after finishing 2 character models, I was looking through the index and noticed that it had datacards for the chaos commissar, and for renegade guard squads.  So I got the idea to kitbash the Krieg and renegade guard, roll in the 7 Blackstone Fortress chaos guardsmen and then build 3 models left over from my imperial guard playing days to give myself 3 squads of 10.

So, after all that exposition, its about time time I start showing some pictures.

First, the models that don't form part of the 3 renegade squads.

3yQQb1m.jpg

Can't currently field the psycher (hopefully it will get rules someday), but the beastmen will get folded into the Fellgor Ravagers squad that I have ordered, for the day when we are again allowed squads that aren't exactly 5 or 10 models.  No conversions here.

Next are the 7 Blackstone guardsmen.  The first 3 have no conversion work (and none planned), while the other 4 do have some.

f716CAK.jpg

uajgr3S.jpg

The guy on the far left is so I can field him as one of the killteam choices - for 40K, he just counts as having a lasgun.  The flamer (the far right) has been converted to a plasmagun and still needs some work.

Next are the models that are largely built out of the renegade guard kill team box.  There are some small conversions here and there, but nothing major.

NKfoyuO.jpg

2riRjGh.jpg

For the Krieg models, as the renegade guard box comes with 24 heads and lasguns for every model, I gave each of them a renegade guard head, gun and arms - for the plasma guy, this meant giving his arms to his chaos counterpart (above).  This did require drilling out the neck on the Krieg models (easy enough with a power drill) and in most case trimming down the collar.  The effect works better for some than others.  I have also tried to position their arms to obscure the little box on their abdomens.

HrJULBU.jpg

Part way through this project, I realised that the renegard guard kit also had 3 more chest pieces than the kit actually required.  So, with the help of my trusty jewler's saw I amputated the front chest from 3 krieg models and replaced it with a chaos guard chestplate.  Here are the 3 such models plus a medic made from a renegade guard model with Krieg arms and medical bag.

nWLbba7.jpg

Finally, the 3 models made out of my old cadian and catachan models (plus an old fantasy battle head).  They still need significant chaosification.

kMYTSxZ.jpg

I still have to do a fair bit of greenstuff work and such to add fur and chainmail (and spikes to the older IG models) to make them fully blend in. 

If nothing else, I need to fill in the holes in the backs of all the Kriegmen - normally, their backpacks go there, which I'm not using because they are too distictive.

JzigYja.jpg

That said, I'm really happy with the transformation I was able to make to the look of the Krieg models, especially those with chest swaps.

Rather than keep the various models seperated into squads based on their body origins (so, 1 krieg, 2 renegade guard) I will be mixing the models freely between the 3 squads.  One squad will have 3 plasmaguns, one will have 3 grenade launchers and the last will have 3 sniper rifles.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks!  I definitely recommend the blooded kit - its a great kit, and it comes with a ton of extra options.  Plus, it includes the commissar and ogrynn, who are also both great models.

As for painting them, I really like the GW paint scheme but kind of want to make them my own.  I want them to fit in fighting along side my chaos space marines (under whose codex they will be fighting for the foreseeable future) but also that they would be fighting on the same battlefield as (and against) my old imperial guard army.  So, I'm thinking maybe Ushasti bone fatigues like my old IG, but with dark purple rather than khaki armour so as to fit in with my marines.  If that is what I do, I know some of them will have prison stripes just like my old conscripts, to suggest where some of their soldiers might have come from. :smile:

Huzzah! Welcome to the Traitor Guard! Those are some beautiful conversions and I like your planned color schemes. I look forward to watching your army grow.

Now all we need is to get a more complete set of rules again and we are good to go! Last month's Legends Data Sheetsfor Traitor Guard doesn't let me use my Sentinels, Marauders, Earthshakers, Russes, or Rogue Psykers.

Thanks for the compliments and interest!

Yeah, the way forward for more extensive traitor guard formations still seems to be by fielding them as IG formations - which, while unfortunately, at least allows you to field them as a military formation with military hardware rather than as a few disparate squads attached to a bunch of chaos marines.  Still, it requires you to miss out on some elements that are particularly flavourful, at least for organized games - for example, the new beastmen killteam seems particularly appropriate for inclusion in such a force, but of course can't in organized play as you can't put chaos units in an army using loyalist rules.

For now, I have no intent to move in that direction, though - I already have an IG army, and playing the same rules but with spiky models doesn't appeal to me.  So, likely I won't have any traitor guard vehicles until at least when we have actual chaos rules for them.  One (kind of) exception I may make when these guys are done is an idea I've had for a long time of making a defiler out of a leman russ and big nid or other such parts.  Would need to work out exactly how, as I would like to have a similar foot print and height, either (or both) of which might be a challenge.  Don't have any idea how I would paint the russ bits, yet, but as the whole thing is still just a thought, I have some time to decide. :smile:

Still, I am really happy that we do have rules for these units in the index, even if they are a bit... odd.  For example, both the Blooded kit and the killteam rules allow a sergeant with a plasma pistol - but not the index rules - which makes the one of mine modelled that way technically illegal.

As well, I really wish they had included a datacard for the Black Fortress / Servants of the Abyss rogue psycher, as it is such a fantastic model.  I guess its because none of the BF/SotA models have cards except those made available more recently through other releases - for example, I'm sure the only reason the chaos commissar (AKA Enforcer) & his ogryn buddy have a datacard is because the are in the blooded box.  The rogue psycher is one model that I do intend to paint despite not being able to field him - maybe I can find an appropriate big pal for him and field him as a second Enforcer.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

On 8/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

The rogue psycher is one model that I do intend to paint despite not being able to field him - maybe I can find an appropriate big pal for him and field him as a second Enforcer.

I think I found a candidate for a big buddy needed to field the rogue psycher - the large slaaneshi demon just revealed in NOVA Open preview for their latest Warhammer Underworlds release - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/31/nova-open-preview-dysfunctional-daemons-and-determined-deepkin-duel-over-souls/ - provided its big enough, which I think it is (or at least, pretty close).

Regardless, I'll be picking up those 3 slaaneshi demons when they are available without the fish friends (though, the octopus does make it tempting just to get the whole lot).

• 3 weeks later...

Started on the defiler I referred to above, kitbashing a russ and a Tyranid Tervigon - here's some photos of my work so far.  As you can see, I'm keeping the internal core of the leman russ pretty standard, as my end goal is to make it look like a possessed leman russ rather than a defiler built to look like russ.

idccuJQ.jpg

I wanted it to look as if a demon was bound into the engine compartment - hence the chaos star and the chains across it.  This is my second attempt at the star - on my first attempt, I got half way cutting it out and then, because my cutting surface was too soft, my knife slipped and cut it in half.  Lesson learned and I'm happy with the second attempt.

jLn2zK7.jpg

Here you can see that I am placing the weapons that would typically on the defiler's left "arm" underneath the hull - the legs I intend to use and how I intend to mount them should give plenty of clearance.  Here it is with the heavy flamer and the "eye mount" option for the front hull mount.

yiaSBYz.jpg

Here's a similar view but with the havoc launcher underneath and the reaper cannon on the front mount.  For the defiler right "arm" weapons, the lascannon and heavy bolter options will be on the russ sponsoons (in which case the eye option will be on the front mount) while the reaper will be on the front mount with eyes on the sponsoon mounts.  You can also see the turret and the start of my work adding eyes to it.

Oye8obC.jpg

Finally, an under shot showing the box into which I will mount the final of the left "arm" options - the flail.  I intend to model it using thick metal wire and hopefully it will look similar to the tentacles on a venomcrawler - given their added weight and potential length, I added a second and bigger magnet - the other 2 options just use the front smaller magnet.

There are a few elements that are intentionally missing at this point (the front hatch, and the front plow) which I will be seeking advice about from you guys near the end of the project when we'll be able to best judge what looks best on the model as a whole.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks!

Put some more work on it and... its gotten a bit wierd. :biggrin:

ti2QN3R.jpg

First, I added smaller eyes and greenstuff to finish the eye cluster on the turret.

Y5tdK08.jpg

I was then thinking of adding eyes to this side of the turret and then thought "hey, I will always have at least one extra eye plate from the weapon mounts, so why don't I magnetize it instead so I can just mount one of those instead?"  Which is then exactly what I did - here with the front weapon mount eye cluster in place.

This also allows me to mount the havoc launcher of the turret instead of underslung, if I am so inclined:

CfPxP2a.jpg

RfYuAuJ.jpg

Now for the weird part - I've mounted the tervigon's gestation sack on the back for some extra fleshy bit and to move the visual centre of mass backwards, as the Russ already has a fairly forward visual centre of mass which will become even worse when I add the defiler claws at the front.  Still need to do some greenstuff detailing, as the very back is pretty plain (as on the Tervigon model that would be mostly hidden next to the base).

YQ7AYTT.jpg

Here's the other half, underneath the tank.  Really happy with my greenstuffing here.

5UkaUXo.jpg

Last, I worked on making a hole - I wanted to make it look like the front leg has torn its way out of the chasis, and I think I was reasonably successful in that regard.

7Xbs3qV.jpg

Finally, here is the front leg just loosely put in place - I've got some conversion work to do to it before it will be affixed, as I'm working on making it look less tyranidy and more mechano-fleshy. 

Thanks!  I shared that comment with my wife, when quoted back the "an evil one, obviously, but I'm told that still counts" the next time I told her I was a genius.  :biggrin:

This past week was leg week for my defiler - sorry, some of the pictures seem blurrier than I remember them.

Fng0bj4.jpg

9GIrqWN.jpg

This is the right front leg, with the top picture showing it next to an unmodified tyranid claw and the bottom the greenstuff trim so far.  I'm likely going to detail the circles to look more mechanical and maybe add some greenstuff to bulk out the arm a bit - it looks a little weedy right now.

NpZuA1f.jpg

Hdw9QXY.jpg

nqRf1QL.jpg

The model will also have a rear and a middle leg on each side, modelled to look similar to the rear legs on a venomcrawler.  The top shows the front of the shield, where unfortunately the trim I cut out ended up being too big for the shield, and in resizing it it ended up a bit lopsided.  Trying hard to avoid that on the next set of trim, but its challenging.

Middle picture shows how the shield and the legs are attached and the bottom how I have bent the plasticard (by repeatedly putting it into a pot of boiling water, pulling it out and bending it a bit, then back into the water) - the different thickness is the left one has trim and right doesn't.

The leg portions still needs some carving and greenstuffing to remove their tyranid elements, but I wanted to get the shields right before I did that.  We'll see if that was a mistake.

1wHujrF.jpg

Here's a picture of what the tyranid pieces look like that I am working with - the left is what the assembled tyranid leg looks like, the middle is the piece I am actually working with, and the right is obviously is a more finished product with the shield.

KIfG8rD.jpg

Here's roughly how they will look on the defiler - the rear two will be closer together as I end for them to protrude more sideways (rather than front and back) than I was able to achieve in this photo.

yddAUMH.jpg

Finally, here is the side of the defiler with the leg hole for the rear leg.  Didn't get as good of a bent armoured plate look as on the front leg hole, but I have 6 more opportunities for the other legs and its claws, so I'm hoping to get better as I go.

So far, these legs have been an enormous amount of work (and is still largely undone), but they are what will make the model a defiler so I think its important to get them right, as the look of the whole model will likely hinge on me getting them right.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

This projects is awesome already, love the bug tank! I’ve just played my first games of 10th with an army I’m building for 30k as well. The point: leman Russ demolishers with no sponsons work great as vindicators, and are fun as hell in game(albeit with better stats than mortal scum deserve). Since I can do it in 30k cults and militia, I’ve also got my traitor guard riding in rhinos and command in a land raider. Maybe it gives you some ideas! 

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I've really done anything in the hobby, but I'm back working on my defiler.  One of the things that derailed me (other than general malaise) was the trouble I was having with getting the trim to fit properly to the shields on the legs I've been building.  Anyway, here is a reference picture:

jtRENKV.jpg

Basically, the way they are built is that I have a thick piece of plasticard that I cut out using a template, then bend to the proper shape.  Then the trim is cut from a much thinner piece of plasticard, using the same template.  Problem is that, even though I have a template, they are cut by hand so are all a bit different - not normally a problem with chaos, which is pretty forgiving with minor differences, but makes it hard to get the trim to fit.

So, for the first one (the one on the right), I cut out the trim only to find that it was too big for the shield it was to go on.  Rather than throw out my work, I cut it down the middle, removed some material, then glued it in place - this left a bit of a gap in the top of the trim, which I've hidden with some battle damage.  So, even though I got it to work, it was way more effort than I had wanted and it left me kind of discouraged.

So, last week I picked the project back up and tried again, just trying to be more careful and not cutting out the internal details until I had the outside dimensions correct.  That didn't work, and the trim piece ended up too small and unusable.  So I got a brilliant idea to glue the thin plasticard to the leg shield with a glue stick (the kind for gluing paper) then trimming it down to fit one the glue was dry.  It then pealed off very easily, and after washing the dried glue off both pieces, I cut the internal details.  The one on the left was produced by that method, and it worked like a charm.

I then finished putting the holes in the side of the hull for the legs, and was able to do so in such a way that I only had to bend back one tiny part in order to fit the sponson (much to my own surprise - I was quite worried about the process warping the side to the extent that the sponson wouldn't fit anymore).  Anyway, here's a picture of the almost finished side plate - just need to decide whether to glue the side hatch on or put gribblies behind it, and maybe put a few spikes through the side.

N63b6jg.jpg

And here it is with the legs glue tacked on:

eSR2J5h.jpg

Two options for the big claw - the above, where the crusher claw attaches directly to the end of the arm - or the below, where I leave a bit of the crusher arm on to make the arm on the model longer.

WzMfBHc.jpg

Away from the model, I prefer the first option but I think the second looks better on the actual model.

Also, seeing the whole thing together, I'm not sure I like the small claw - do you guys think I should put another armored leg there instead?

So, let me know your thoughts/opinions on the following:

1.  Short or long arm for the crusher claws?

2.  Spikes or tentacles on the side, or keep it smooth with a closed side hatch?

3.  Small spike front leg (like the above) or another leg with an armored shield?

Thanks bloodhound23 and Bonehead - glad you like it so far!

Interestingly, on my informal pole in the chaos forums and my WIP thread, long crushing claw just edged out short with the same for shield versus spike leg (both 4-3) while tentacles were the run away favorite versus hatch (6-2).

So, based on the above I thought to combine the tentacles with the side hatch (having it partially open with the tentacles coming out the gap) only to find that I have no idea where the hatches were.  So instead, I glued on some plates from the chaos vehicle accessory sprue and will put tentacles elsewhere on the model, and I may well do the other side with no hatch and emerging tentacles.

2jwy719.jpg

As shown above, rather than make up my mind on the arm/leg questions (though I'm inclined to side with the majorities for both), I built the smoke stacks instead.

Here are some close ups:

ZZEqmTU.jpg

yf6zlrb.jpg

The one on the very back is because I had a gap from how the gestation sacks joined together and decided to fill it this way.

Though you can't really see it, the outermost stacks on either side have little faces cut into them kind of like the mauler/forge fiend does - I'm thinking of building them up (again like the fiend does) with greenstuff to make them more visible.