Mono lists, of any god, are they possibly?

Ulfast

I have lately been thinking about starting a Slaanesh force, focus on a theme where everything is Slannesh and not mixing the with other gods units. But is such an army possibly? And at the same time, is any other mono god list possibly to work?

Mind, I´m not thinking to take such a list into any tournament but would at least have a chance against my friends that use other armies. 

I'm not sure about other gods, but from my read of the index mono Slannesh (and my only demons are Slannesh) would be very difficult - we have are almost exclusively melee, have virually no anti-tank (and what we have is solely within one melee epic hero), all of our units are very fragile and most seem too expensive given the above as GW seems to over value models with invulnerable saves but no armor save.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, though...

I´m hoping to try out a mono-Tzeentch list soon but as you say DR_Ruminahui I´m uncertain if they will be effectiv enought. But at least I will try. I think that most mono-list  needs Belakor. He really adds much to every daemonlist an dis fluffy enough :)

From my read of it, mono-Tzeentch seems the strongest of the factions, helped by it having the best shooting and the most versatility amoung units.  So if you were to take a stab at it with any 1 chaos god, that's the one with the best shot.

Had my game yesterday against Votann (one of the worse armies out there right now). That was very intersting. lost big time as he scored maximun with point and I only around 62p. I did a couple of mistake like using one unit of flamers wrong but all in all his shooting took down one big bird after another. Had two with a daemon prince and a soulgrinder. Soulgrinder was nice but his shooting with all votann tookings made it hard to save it all on 4+. But I need to try it again. I still thinkin it could be good. 

On 8/23/2023 at 5:11 AM, Ulfast said:

It shall be intersting to try out. The game is on saturday so I need to come back to how it went.

I thought Khorne would be strong? They even have some shooting! 

I've found that for my Mono-Khorne to work, I am basically pigeon-holed into taking Be'lakor for his shadow aura allowing stuff to 6" DS around him.

The bloodletters, hounds, crushers, etc... are all just too fragile to be left standing 9" away. Even with the instrument +1 charge, 8" is still a gamble. They do not survive the return firepower of an enemy turn if they fail those 8". (I'm sure all I wrote is likely the case for Slaanesh too, who are also melee-centric)

Bloodthirster still, lovingly, hits like an absolute truck when he connects, so there is that to take joy in.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

• 4 months later...

I have yet again tried a Tzeentch monolist but with Belakor. I was a nice battle and I maxed out on points! My oppponet also did well and scored around 88p but as I maxed out it was a win. I was not so "killy" but jumping around the board, forcing battleshock test etc was fun and got me points. so a relativ monolist can work. Will try to play more and try this list out. I´m actually planing in the end of januaray taking the list to a local tournament!