Tactica Aeldari: Dire Avengers

Karhedron

Welcome to the next in a series of posts that are intended to provide a "deep dive" into a single unit at a time in the new Index. This is not going to be as organised as a "Unit of the week" series as I always struggle to stick to routines. This week I am going to be looking at Dire Avengers, as well as their Phoenix Lord, Asurmen.

Here are some questions to consider:

• Are you considering running Dire Avengers in your army?
  • Do you prefer MSU or full-sized squads or do you see good roles for both?
  • What wargear and options are you considering?
  • Would you consider taking Asurmen?
  • Do they have good synergy with any Stratagems?

If you would like your model showcased here, please post a pic on the following thread. https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363498-eldar-photos-for-uotw-series-im-ready-for-my-close-up/

I would tend to consider them as the most standard infantery entry as they can occupy most of the roles of Guardians defender and Storm Guardians (If you compare with these units before options).

In small games it is a good overall unit that can do a little bit of everything. In that case DA would go with an exarch fitted for HtH (Dire Sword)

In larger games I would probably let them home or focus on some very casual uses emphazing on Overwatch tactics. A kind of combined arm unit that support the defense of an objective offering counterfire. In such a situation Exarch would go with second catapult. But it requires spending CPs tahat can have other usages too. SO I would say it would not be my standard backbone, but rather a dirty trick here or there.

I any case, full squad of 10 for me. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2023 at 5:22 AM, Karhedron said:

Are you considering running Dire Avengers in your army?

Pretty much every game I'll take 5, and 2x5 if I have the space

Do you prefer MSU or full-sized squads or do you see good roles for both?

MSU. 5 DA and 5 something else in a serpent is generally a good shout.

Would you consider taking Asurmen?

No, just doesn't match my fluff. Seems like a cool build-around though for those inclined - can't imagine too much can stand up to him with a full unit behind.

Do they have good synergy with any Stratagems?

Not amazing since they're generally disposable trades for me, but a movement strat at the right time to snatch an objective or escape a charge maybe. Kinda let down by OC1 tbh... if they were OC2 I'd take 10 and charge in with them alot more often, but Eldar should play pretty cagey anyway if you ask me.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.