Bad news for Canadian Warhammer+ Subscribers

I know it doesn't tick the Canadian content creator box but part of me wonders if they can get away from the french language thing just by adding french subtitles ezpz :tongue:.

I mean they already sell both Eng and Fr versions of big box releases on the Canadian GW site, so theyve got someone translating. 

With the announcement/reveal made today, there's no reference to any changes... You'd think if they were going to cancel Canadian subs they'd at least do it at the turn of the 'year' so that people aren't billed for a year before having to be reimbursed as they're excluded from the services at whatever point. I'll stick with it personally to try and cop that Vampire in a month. If they nuke my account then they'll have to reimburse for the latter 9-10 months?

I really do hope this doesn't happen, but it won't surprise me if it does. For GW it makes the decision to try and move their content to a larger streamer more important... Then they can let the Amazons of the world worry about pushing old Canadian films or docs to people's feeds instead of making new content. 'Big Streaming' is already localized for Canada mostly by way of distinct 'Canadian content' menus that show up as you scroll down in streaming feeds right now. But fully distributing through one of those platforms would also prevent them collecting direct from consumer, and vastly limit their access to information about customers. Warhammer+ isn't a 'streaming service', it's customer analytics and advertising as a service. 

If Canadians lose access to the app altogether I'm not buying rules from GW this edition, and I bought most of the codexes for 9th. This will nevertheless not really reduce the amount of my money they get... and it sends the message that I don't care about rules and they don't make any money from them...

I guess we'll see if lack of local app availability makes codexes cheaper in countries without it? /s

Cheers,

The Good Doctor

5 hours ago, Mechanicus Tech-Support said:

K

I'll try and explain this a little more in detail as to why an immediate and simple "No" was my answer.

The whole point of the bill is to protect Canada in some way. Part of it is businesses, but the rest is cultural; that's why there's so much focus on offerings in multiple languages and french primary content in the parts of the law I shared earlier on. It's why it was proposed by the heritage minister in the first place, and it's partially why there was so much resistance to modifying the bill to make it less overbearing.

So we have the intent behind it. If this was GW rules, it'd just be there for us to squabble over and argue how it fits into the rules as written. But, the law is enforced by the regulatory body, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission . The CRTC enforces the law on the entities trying to engage with it, to the fullest extent it can; it's point is to ensure the intent is being followed, and has powers to impose conditions (and fines) on those entities if they're falling short.

So when we look at part of the conditions that say:

(b) the proportion of Canadian programs to be broadcast that shall be original French language programs, including first-run programs;

(c) the proportion of programs to be broadcast that shall be original French language programs;

Do we really think subtitles alone are going to cut it with the regulator? No.

8 hours ago, Dr. Clock said:

You'd think if they were going to cancel Canadian subs they'd at least do it at the turn of the 'year'

A Warhammer+ sub is Sep-Aug though, now IS the end of the subs "year".  They're (at least not yet) cancelling subs, they just aren't accepting new subs, or allowing renewals.

Edited by Grotsmasha

On 8/27/2023 at 3:50 AM, Dr. Clock said:

They are, though - mine just got renewed.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

I wouldn't be too excited. Steam also takes your money but when a game is pulled from a market, they refund you not long after. Not getting a refund straight away or the ability to sub doesn't mean much in the digital age.