Crew counts

Spyboy

I don’t think there’s any steady canon numbers.

personally here’s my head canon

chimera(and all non-artillery derivatives)-driver, gunner, commander, gun servitor.

taurox- driver, gunner/commander

leman Russ-driver, gunner, commander, gun servitors x3

artillery chimeras- driver, commander, gunner, loader, gun servitor

T.prime- driver, commander, gunner

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Leman Russ Battle Tank - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

You should be able to find all the other vehicle crew specifications as well:yes:

Inq Lev is about right, but as humans are so plentiful, there's no need for servitors in most guard vehicles:yes:

Baneblades for example have some slaved in servitors. 

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

Leman Russ Battle Tank - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

You should be able to find all the other vehicle crew specifications as well:yes:

Inq Lev is about right, but as humans are so plentiful, there's no need for servitors in most guard vehicles:yes:

Baneblades for example have some slaved in servitors. 

A servitor can be cut down and fitted into smaller spaces. A Russ might be big , but even as I describe it would be cramped inside.

5 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

as I describe it would be cramped inside.

Oh no doubt, totally cramped, but who cares? cos the departmento muintorum wouldn't:tongue:

Marching troops across minefields and such:laugh:

I can see why there's no servitors in a russ, its would just be an unnecessary waste of resources and time:yes:

But ofc its not outside of the realms of possibility, somewhere there might be a factory world that produces them with servitors. 

23 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Oh no doubt, totally cramped, but who cares? cos the departmento muintorum wouldn't:tongue:

Marching troops across minefields and such:laugh:

I can see why there's no servitors in a russ, its would just be an unnecessary waste of resources and time:yes:

But ofc its not outside of the realms of possibility, somewhere there might be a factory world that produces them with servitors. 

A servitor requires less supplies to keep going than a human, so adding 3 more crewmen to a tank is a larger waste of supplies and resources than servitors.

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

A servitor requires less supplies to keep going than a human, so adding 3 more crewmen to a tank is a larger waste of supplies and resources than servitors.

a slaved servitor can't help maintain the vehicle, and will only be able to keep watch in its weapons angle of fire, making it a worse sentry, and if the3 vehicle is knocked out, it will either be destroyed, or temporarily completely useless at best, whereas a human crew can decamp and act as light infantry.

1 hour ago, SgtSharp said:

a slaved servitor can't help maintain the vehicle, and will only be able to keep watch in its weapons angle of fire, making it a worse sentry, and if the3 vehicle is knocked out, it will either be destroyed, or temporarily completely useless at best, whereas a human crew can decamp and act as light infantry.

Tank crews acting as light infantry is funny.

if they must fight to get back to the rear they will, but they’re not trained to act as light infantry.

serious maintenance would be conducted by dedicated support crews, and 3 man crews is enough for the daily and weekly maintenance necessary.

doesn’t matter if a servitor is destroyed they’ll just get new ones for a new tank. Luckily the imperium is full of criminals to be turned into servitors.

tankers require training servitors do not, so again it would make more sense to cram a servitor into the sponsons and the hull gun.

3 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

You have to remember the Imperium is vast and construction differs depending on the planet. For example:

- Some planets might have 4 crew + 1 servitor in a Russ with no sponsons.

- Some planets might have 5 crew in a Russ with no sponsons.

- Some planets might have 4 crew + 3 servitors in a Russ with sponsons.

- Some planets might have 5 crew + 2 servitors in a Russ with sponsons.

- Some planets might have 6 crew + 1 servitors in a Russ with sponsons.

- Some planets might have 7 crew in a Russ with sponsons.

That's just a basic Russ. 

2 minutes ago, jarms48 said:

You have to remember the Imperium is vast and construction differs depending on the planet. For example:

- Some planets might have 4 crew + 1 servitor in a Russ with no sponsons.

- Some planets might have 5 crew in a Russ with no sponsons.

- Some planets might have 4 crew + 3 servitors in a Russ with sponsons.

- Some planets might have 5 crew + 2 servitors in a Russ with sponsons.

- Some planets might have 6 crew + 1 servitors in a Russ with sponsons.

- Some planets might have 7 crew in a Russ with sponsons.

That's just a basic Russ. 

I agree things can vary, but as I said what I posted was my head canon as it makes the most sense as a standard or normal way for it to be done.

Thanks for the replies, I think your headcannon list makes a lot of sense.  I was leaning towards 3 for a chimera and 5 for a russ so I think I'm on target.  Thanks for the link.

As for servitors vs gaurdsmen, I can see both being used but regular guys would probably be cheaper and easier to field for the imperium because of all the implants and cybernetics involved in making a servitor.  That is just my opinion though.

15 hours ago, Spyboy said:

Thanks for the replies, I think your headcannon list makes a lot of sense.  I was leaning towards 3 for a chimera and 5 for a russ so I think I'm on target.  Thanks for the link.

As for servitors vs gaurdsmen, I can see both being used but regular guys would probably be cheaper and easier to field for the imperium because of all the implants and cybernetics involved in making a servitor.  That is just my opinion though.

Implants and cybernetics would be cheap compared to the costs of training and maintaining more fully human soldiers.

I don’t think people without military experience really understand how much it costs to train a single soldier and then support that soldier.

I am aware of the costs of training in our world.  I personally don't think the 40k world spends near that much on it.  And servitors are not without their own upkeep costs as well.  They do have flesh (usually) so to prevent necrosis isn't exactly cheap.  Servitors aren't build and forget like a lasgun would be. 

Ultimately this question is mostly irrelevant to crew counts as a servitor would still count as a crew member for counting the crew to determine crew count, although it is a fun topic to debate.

9 hours ago, Spyboy said:

I am aware of the costs of training in our world.  I personally don't think the 40k world spends near that much on it.  And servitors are not without their own upkeep costs as well.  They do have flesh (usually) so to prevent necrosis isn't exactly cheap.  Servitors aren't build and forget like a lasgun would be. 

Ultimately this question is mostly irrelevant to crew counts as a servitor would still count as a crew member for counting the crew to determine crew count, although it is a fun topic to debate.

Servitors are still alive so necrosis wouldn’t be much if any of a concern 

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Servitors are still alive so necrosis wouldn’t be much if any of a concern 

Yes most of them are alive, but they have so many cybernetics that parts of their body could be isolated from others which would cause those parts to deteriorate faster.  Although I suppose they could have blood flow through the cybernetics to help with that. Either way they would still require maintenance like any machine.  The mix of machine and flesh would need more maintenance then just machine.  They would also require much of the same upkeep as a gaurdsmen for things like food, shelter, etc.. 

Another aspect of this is what world the regiment comes from, there are regiments that have a training regime of less then a month which combined with cheap manpower the cost of supplying a gaurdsmen would be extremely cheap.

4 hours ago, Spyboy said:

Yes most of them are alive, but they have so many cybernetics that parts of their body could be isolated from others which would cause those parts to deteriorate faster.  Although I suppose they could have blood flow through the cybernetics to help with that. Either way they would still require maintenance like any machine.  The mix of machine and flesh would need more maintenance then just machine.  They would also require much of the same upkeep as a gaurdsmen for things like food, shelter, etc.. 

Another aspect of this is what world the regiment comes from, there are regiments that have a training regime of less then a month which combined with cheap manpower the cost of supplying a gaurdsmen would be extremely cheap.

Their…plug…thing is the shelter, and servitors are cut down to just the necessary bits. Chop off everything below the waist, and a lot of calorie requirements are gone, not to mention specific nutrient requirements would likely be much less specific.