Second game played with a much better result.

Pureluck

So after my first game and defeat against blood angels, i went and bought 6 Thunderwolf Calvary with shields and heirloom weapons, Canis Wolfborn, and some fenrisian wolves.

I brought my army in, came up on two guys that were playing and was silently watching, they where setting up Necrons vs blood angels. Another guy walked up and he asked if I was looking for a game, I said "sure am" well he's a necron player too, we agreed on 2000 points and began setting up. 

My list: Gladius Detachment.

Arjac Rockfist (Warlord)

Canis Wolfborn.

Lukas the Trickster.

Murderfang.

Battle line:

x15 Blood claws.

x10 Intercessor

Other:

Devastator squad with all Lascannons 

x5 Fenrisian Wolves.

Venerable dreadnought  with ballistas loadout.

Storm Wolf.

x10 Wolf Guard in power armor.

x5 Wolfguard in terminator armor 

He had a skorpech lord.

a plasmancer

a reanimator

3 squads immortals

skorpek destroyers

Void Dragon

scarab swarms

3 wraiths

and heavy destroyers.

we had dawn of war deployment and so I was able to space my stuff out, and the objective was to secure sites of power and empower them. I went into Assault Doctrine and stuck with it the entire time which proved absolutely valuable for the calvary.

We rolled initiative and I won initiative, that time, I kinda wanted him to go first but the dice ruled i did. I pushed up with about everything but was able to keep everything in cover, i was careful not to over extend. he did the same thing. 1st round was only moving, there was no shooting, no combat.

second round thats where things started to go down. I played aggressively I wiped out his scarab swarms completey with a hail of storm bolter fire from my wolf guard in power armor and fire power of the storm wolf. my calvary and fenrisian wolves charged in to his wraiths and annihalated them and consolidated into his immortals, my intercessors and ballistas dreadnought moved up the center.

He moved in with his void dragon and knocked my storm wolf down to 4 wounds, he charged him into my wolfguard in power armor and killed 5 of them, 5 of my intercessors went down because he was able to use shroud of darkness and flanked them and my dreadnought, he basically concentrated fire into that unit. He tried striking back at my calvary and was able to roll 4 successful wounds....which bounced off their power armor....they would not get a second chance. Arjac failed a 9 inch charge....which i wish he hadn't but what ensued was freaking priceless. His heavy destroyers took a shot at Murderfang and hit...knocking him down to 2 wounds.

Third round. I had to do something about that void dragon. I had my wolfguard in power armor fall back, I disembarked my blood claws with Lukas the Trickster and advanced them into position for an easy charge into that void dragon, If they survived this and brought it down the survivors where sure to earn their place as grey hunters. However....this would not be the case, for in my attempts to soften it up I over estimated it. It had lost 1 wound when my wolfguard had struck back in melee before I had them fall back, my stormwolf opened up with EVERYTHING into it, severely wounding it. Then my devestators opened up....they obliterated it off the face of the planet with las cannons, all hit, all wound, the lowest i rolled on damage was 3, the rest where 5 and 6's. on the other flank murderfang made his charge into the immortal squad that canis and his unit of calvary had consolidated on, as well as the wolves... that unit of immortals where ripped apart and wiped. my intercessors opened up and fired at the squad of immortals in front of them, launching grenades, they killed a few but their time was nearly up. Necrons used a strategem to immediately return fire and killed the remaining few, in anger my dreadnought opened up with a barrage of missiles and las cannon and killed 2....

His skorpehk destoyers and lord charged arjac and his wolfguard terminators, 3 terminators fell (I rolled poorly on my save) but was able to take 2 of his destroyers out, his immortals in the center advanced and took center board and opened up on my longfangs...they fell to all the fire power, his other squad opened up on my dreadnought but not a single shot got through the thick armor, his heavy destroyers moved in position and took out the stormwolf, which did not explode. 

So far I had totally cleared and took control of the left flank and the objective there. At this point the objective in my deployment was vacant as my long fangs were sitting there. on the second story of a building. The far right flank where murderfang, canis his calvary and the wolves where clear aside from the immortal unit sitting on that objective, and Arjac and his terminators was distracting his skorpeks in their own deployment. I was down by a good 10 points or so, i had scored bring it down but other than having held two objectives, it wasn't looking good. the other secondary was assassination. My opponent said "You could always gambit". I said "I could....." I looked at the battlefield and where my troops where. "However, that would mean I failed the objective and that's not the space wolves way, I'm going to see this through"

round 4. Arjac had lost his squad..it was just him and he was down to 1 wound, however he knocked out all the skorpekh destroyers so it was him, a skorpekh lord and a plasmancer.

I had the fenrisian wolves split off and advance towards arjac, Canis, his squad, and murderfang advanced towrds the right flank objective and the squad of immortals, I had my dreadnought advance back towards the deployment objective, retaking it. He tried to overwatch but missed. The wolfguard in power armor and blood claws advanced to try and get in position to take out the immortals in the center, but poor rolls prevented my blood claws from making the charge...it was a long shot but i was hoping, it actually worked out for the best. The fenrisian wolves made their charge into the plasmancer, canis and his squad made their charge into the immortals on the right flank objective. Murderfang did not, it really didnt matter. 

Now to the most hilarious part for me. all through out round 3-4-5 He was trying to hit Arjac with everything he had. I had to make 4 up saves and he only had 1 wound left, I made every single one of them and heavily wounded his Lord. Arjac and the calvary where such a pain in his side this entire time. Arjac because he absolutely refused to die and beat his Lord like he owed him lunch money, and the calvary because he could not get away from them. Every time they set their sites on a unit they would advance far enough that a charge was easy for them and when they charged in, they would wipe the unit they charged off the map. Which is exactly what happened this round, they charged the immortals that where sitting on the objective and wiped them out claiming the objective and also scoring overwhelming force for a secondary, I was also able to score extend battle lines (I got really lucky on my secondary draws)

Now he had been able to revive the plasmancer in that unit but....it wasn't going to do any good but he also healed the Lord arjac had been beating on, the wolves did 2 points of damage to the plasmancer that was on arjac. His turn he shot at the blood claws killing 3, his heavy destroyers fired at Murderfang but failed to wound this time. his Lord, fully healed, was about to lash out at Arjac. I didn't think arjac would survive this round, i had 3 CP and so I put "Only in Death does Duty End" on him. I had to make four 4+ saves.....I PASSED EVERY ONE OF THEM!

round 5. Arjac Fights back, and lands every blow and finally kills the skorpekh Lord. Meanwhile Lukas spots an opportunity as he is still in range of the Left flank objective and empowers it my calvary charges back into the plasmamancer they killed before and rekill him. my Dreadnought moves into position to open up on the heavy destroyers while murderfang advances to prepare a charge on them thats when my oppenent said "you know.....I think you won...lets tally up the score.

Space Wolves 53. Necrons 41

We both had fun, it was a blast. Thunderwolf Calvary with Canis is a freaking torpedo, they absolutely wiped the floor with the necrons. In fact only 1 model took 2 wounds....they all lived...the crazy part....all my fenrisian wolves lived. Arjac is alive on 1 wound, I lost 5 terminators, 5 wolf guard in power armor, my long fangs, 3 blood claws and my storm wolf. There was only 1 secondary i had to discard without completing it and that was assassination. everything else i was able to complete.

Edited by Pureluck

That's superfun to read, and exciting battlereport. I always love to see Lukas in a list and it's good to see quite some Firstborn in a working lust. Ah and an interesting insight for me: You get to put a lot of stuff on the table in 10th for 2000 points.

6 hours ago, Filius said:

That's superfun to read, and exciting battlereport. I always love to see Lukas in a list and it's good to see quite some Firstborn in a working lust. Ah and an interesting insight for me: You get to put a lot of stuff on the table in 10th for 2000 points.

I'll be the first to say, I really have Lukas there because I really like his lore, he may not be optimal but that -1 to hit that he grants the blood claws is pretty awesome. Plus he got me a few extra points in there by empowering that one objective. I just got back in this game since 5th edition had first came out and built this army in a month or so by buying off of ebay, im going to collect more primaris but I like to try to keep my army as a very much space wolf army with space wolf units. some of the primaris units may be more optimal but as of right now theres no special rules for them unless you just want to run them as Blood claws, sky claws, grey hunters, so on and just use the primaris models, although im very interested to see if that changes in the near future. 

Yea, keep in mind, im running in gladius so my long fangs are actually regular devastators to give me a few extra points, but that all came out to 1995 points. There's a few things tactically im still feeling out with this build. When i last played, i didn't have any terminators i was in my early teens, could barely pull in 1000 points on allowance money. I'm starting to see i have this horrible habit of wanting to risk 9 inch charges with them when i teleport them in. This time it worked in my favor, but thats by shear luck of the dice not allowing Arjac to die, that whole thing was cinematic because he essentially soloed a skorpehk unit complete with skorpehk lord. But next time I'm going to try to do better about teleporting them in behind cover and then try to advance before charging. 

Aside from him, Canis Wolfborn and 6 thunderwolf calvary was the real MVP's they pretty much wiped out 3 whole units by themselves. my opponent was kinda laughing about it but was also a bit frustrated because when he said that he had nothing that can kill them, he can't get away from them. i was able to stage them far enough away he couldn't shoot at them and with Assault Doctrine and some pretty good advance rolls, which the lowest I rolled on them was 4, then you add my charges. They where all up and down that battlefield going from unit to unit and just shredding them. Even the extra attacks from the wolves they ride on was really nice. The fenrisian wolves, i knew they wherent going to do all that much i just use them to prevent the calvary from being charged. I was more surprised none of them died, he was more concentrated on the calvary he just neglected the fenrisian wolves which went to Arjac's aid and wounded the second model that was on him. 

It might not be the most optimal list, but its a fun one for me and I'm quite happy, this was my first time ever going up against necrons, and I'm very happy with the results. Only thing is I wish my blood claws got to do a bit more as i tend to have a soft spot for them but thats the way it goes sometimes. If there was a round 6 I would of had them charge right in and just annihilate that last unit of immortals and let murderfang and the calvary deal with the heavy destroyers after shooting at them with my other dreadnought.

2 hours ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Just a note, Doctrines are only active for one round (until your next Command phase really) and can only be used once. 

Oh! I had no clue! Thanks for letting me know! 

Edit: Yup, went back and looked and it’s right there. Crap! Next time I see him I’ll let him know I goofed on that. 

Edited by Pureluck