Potential trend for 10th Ed Codex covers?

LemartestheLost

I just checked the Sunday Preview article on Warcom and made an immediate observation. The new Tyranid Codex cover is just a reskin of the 9th Ed. cover, but worse (imo). SM will definitely get a new cover but they’re the poster children so that’s a given. I wonder what percentage of of 10th Ed. ‘Dexes will have reskinned 9th covers. I only say this because ‘Nids are one of the two big factions in the launch box and GW couldn’t commission a new piece of art for them? I for one would be upset if my codex looked the exact same from last edition, it just reeks of laziness on GW’s part (imho). What’s your opinion/prediction?

Nothing new really, the vast majority of 8th Edition Codexes all re-used art from their 6th/7th Edition counterparts.

What does surprise me though is that the cover appears to be identical to the 9th Edition one right down to the header bar, text sizing and fonts etc. If you put the 9th and 10th books next to each other would you even be able to tell the difference? It's one thing to use the art again but to not even give any outward indication that it's different from the last one seems like an odd choice.

Historically, I cannot recall an edition where the covers are pretty much 99% the same from the previous codex. I remember maybe using the same art, but at least the trim and font was different. This is damn near the same thing. That being said, kind of a crappy move if someone new to the hobby somehow manages to snag a 9th edition book by accident. 

Edited by Ahzek451

3 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

Either it is an error, or this is just embarrassing from the biggest mini company in the world

My initital reaction was that it was an error, but then GW commented on it a couple times already, I am sure being cheeky on purpose as they say "this one is styialized a little different". So I am taking this as the actual codex cover. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Looks like it was an error; the design article from yesterday shows this cover which uses the same art but with the faction symbol edited into the background

BIRtOvE7c4TVtPlw.jpg

And the Sunday preview article has been changed to include this cover too

I would just be thrilled if they'd finally add like a "10th ed" to the spine, or something to denote that it's for 10th edition while on a bookshelf.

By the time all my codexes release for 10th, I'm going to have 3-4 books for each faction and their spines are all exactly the same except for when they shifted to the newer branding and the newer Warhammer symbol.  Just put a little X above the logo or something, anything!

3 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Looks like it was an error; the design article from yesterday shows this cover which uses the same art but with the faction symbol edited into the background

BIRtOvE7c4TVtPlw.jpg

And the Sunday preview article has been changed to include this cover too

Whelp, this is about 3% better than before haha. Very much agree that something should have been done on the spine. Still a decent chance of a new person accidentally grabbing the wrong book. 

3 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

I would just be thrilled if they'd finally add like a "10th ed" to the spine, or something to denote that it's for 10th edition while on a bookshelf.

By the time all my codexes release for 10th, I'm going to have 3-4 books for each faction and their spines are all exactly the same except for when they shifted to the newer branding and the newer Warhammer symbol.  Just put a little X above the logo or something, anything!

Agree but they keep insisting that every edition is just called "The New Edition" and only ever refer to editions as having numbers once they've already passed which is... weird.

In the WarCom article about the codex they state that there is new artwork. They even show off one piece that would have made a superb cover. 

“There’s some really atmospheric and – frankly – pretty horrifying bits of short fiction in there as well as timeline boxouts, all of which will help new and existing Tyranid collectors alike to immerse themselves in this monstrous faction. A lot of these were inspired by the wealth of great new pieces produced by our studio artists depicting the horror of war against the Tyranids! ”

Since these are studio artists would the cost to GW be the same wherever the image ends up?

IMG_4981.jpeg

as someone who has incorrectly bought the wrong edition nid codex previously due to art work being similar i hate it. stinks of intending to mislead customers at some level into incorrect purchases. yes not directly but on second hand market level and even from stores who dont know the differance its terrible. 

If it is true... then it is embarrassing,

Even if they are going all in for the full digital rule/codex (makes sense), this is still a hobby full of people that likes their physical stuff, otherwise we would be playing digital RTS games and not miniatures, collecting is an important part of the hobby, and since this is a "premium" hobby, the least they could do is to put some care in the products they sell

On 9/4/2023 at 6:30 AM, Brother nathan said:

as someone who has incorrectly bought the wrong edition nid codex previously due to art work being similar i hate it. stinks of intending to mislead customers at some level into incorrect purchases. yes not directly but on second hand market level and even from stores who dont know the differance its terrible. 

Yes I have often seen out of date new codices for sale in 3rd party retailers - in some toy shops it’s not obvious they know what they are selling or what the customer is buying. This feels awful.

But on the second hand market it’s actually to GWs advantage to make the latest one different so that people don’t go buying second hand by accident. It’s so dumb.

Yea, this was lazy. I've been disappointed since 7/8th I think when they started recycling codex art. I mean, they make enough of it, why not use a new one? There must be enough pics of the Emissary to have it on the cover. I think the marine dex is the same, with the ultramarine getting shot on the cover. 

On 8/28/2023 at 11:20 PM, Ahzek451 said:

Historically, I cannot recall an edition where the covers are pretty much 99% the same from the previous codex. I remember maybe using the same art, but at least the trim and font was different. This is damn near the same thing. That being said, kind of a crappy move if someone new to the hobby somehow manages to snag a 9th edition book by accident. 

Everything prior to 7th edition was new from memory. 7th edition started the trend, basically reusing most of the 6th edition art. 

did all armies had a codex in both 6th and 7th ? I believe a lot of them had only one or the either, the editions being almost identical to each other ( though I might be mixing up editions here, but at least 6th and 7th shared the same starterbox)

However 8th also reused the 6th/7th codex art. Wich was as weird there as it is now... to have a reset edition re use art of a completely different edition.

It's yet another product of the churn, if you have a new codex every edition and the editions are short they are going to have to recycle a lot of assets.  I'd prefer new art every edition but pairing up editions is OK (though that's the limit).  My real worry was that they seemed identical which was going to be a nightmare with people buying they wrong one.  Though this is a very subtle change so I can still see it tripping people up.  At least the big borders added in 8th to the 7th ed art was nice and obvious.