CSM Tournament Reports

jgascoine011

Currently with the state 10th edition is in CSM is the only army i am enjoying playing.
I feel they are strong but not OP and nothing super jankey, and their play style of risk-reward is super fluffy and cool.

I have been to a couple of tournaments with them and thought it would share my thoughts.

1st Tournament was a big GT 

It was the 1st 10th GT tournament in the UK and was a few weeks ago so my memory is a bit rusty

My list was:

Abbadon 

10 Terminators

10 Cultists (MoN)

10 Warp Talons (MoS)

2*5 Possessed

2*3 Bikes (MoT)

2 Forgefiends with plasma

Forgefiend with gatling

3 Nurglings

Every game Abbadon and terminators were in deepstrike and I took tactical missions every game too

Game 1: Flesh Tearers 

He basically had a big blob of death company with a character (maybe Lemartes) and a big blob of assault squads with sanguinary priest and gabriel, 5 heavy intercessors with a Biologis with a relic that halfs OC, a baal predator with flamers and a few other vehicles.

I put the terminators and abbadon into reserve.

He got 1st turn, but basically he failed a long charge with his death company on my possessed which left him open to being shot by 3 forgefiends and I rapid ingressed abbadon and terminators and then charge his assault squad, game was basically over end of turn 2. Huge 100 point win by CSM

Game 2: Grey Knights

He had a big blob of paladins with grandmaster, big blob of purifiers with crow, 5 terminators with a librarian, and a bunch of strike squads.

I had no idea what grey knights did, but apparently you cant move with 9" of they can teleport away with a strat. Also strikes can scout move.

He actually took fixed objectives (take an objective i control and behind enemy lines i think).

He got 1st turn and deepstruck his librarian and terminators onto my home objective (they can also come within 3" for a CP apparently lol), and one of his scout squads killed my possessed which fought on death and killed them back. My turn 1 I picked up his terminators with forgefiends.

It was pretty close game but he had his army split, his paladins on the left and purifiers on the right. I moved abbadon and terminators towards his paladins to force them to teleport and then moved the possessed towards his purifiers. Between a forgefiend and the possessed i picked up the purifiers. And then when he came back down with his paladins, in turn I regrew a terminator and made a 7" charge into his paladins.

Super close game 78-70 win to CSM

But honestly, against melee armies i dont know how they fight grey knights.

Game 3: Space marines

He had 10 Venga Boys with apothecary giving them exploding 5+

Thats all you need to know. These guys are ridiculous. Also plunging fire...what was GW thinking, what a stupid rule.

Got decimated.

Space Marines Win

Game 4: Orks

His list was :cuss:ing super cool

Stompa, morkanough, gorkanought, 3 meganobz, 10 grtechen, 3 mekguns, the workshop and a couple of characters.

I get turn 1 and do nothing. I will say though my cards were insanely good.

His turn 1 he picks up my bikes, cultists, and nurglings.

My turn 2, 3 forgefiends kill a gorkanought, and 5 possessed kill a morkanought (insane luck), he also overwatched a forgefiend and reduced it to 2 wounds.

His turn 2, he picks up the other unit of 5 possessed, 2 forgefiends and wounds the 3rd.

My turn 3 I charge abbadon into his stomp and the warptalons into his meganobz. The wounded forgefiend kills a couple of mekguns. Abbadon and terminators kill the stompa, the stompa fights on death and wipes the terminators. It the EXPLODES, he careens it into the middle of the board, and does 11 MW to abbadon, 11MW to the warptalons, 10MW to the meganobz, kills my other 5 possessed squad, kills the wounded forefiend and another of his characters. 
So at the end of my turn 3 I have 5 warp talons, and he has 10 grtechen, 1 mek gun, 1 character and his workshop.

CSM win

Game 5: Thousand Sons

Basically Magnus, 3 Vortex Beasts, 2 Lord of Change, 10 rubric flamers, and a bunch of characters.
This game was brutal and it was fighting for best chaos. The whole game was super close and lots of stuff died.
In the end Abbadon failed a 5" charge that I re-rolled and it cost me the game by 1 point.

Super cool opponent, super fun game.

Thousand Sons Win

So thoughts on my list:

Abbadon is just a boss. He is really holding the CSM codex together. Im glad he is good but annoyed that he is such an auto-include.

Forgefiends. Yesssss, Love these guys, they are good, but not broken, the hazardous and Dev wounds is so chaos. Everything about them is just perfect. and they just solve so many problems. 
10 Terminators is too much, Abbadon killed everything he touched and with the nurgle strat there is no need for 10. These are getting dropped to 5

Warp Talons are so meah, 10 is far too much, will be getting dropped to 2 5 man units for actions, but really they are not worth it. S6 AP-3 would be more interesting.

Bikes are sooooo crap. They are just garbage. These are immediately dropped for 2 obliterators.

Possessed. :cuss:ing amazing...except vs -1D weapons. These are great suicide squads. 5 as undivided is definitely the way to go IMO.

Nurglings, eh, they are ok, but being OC Zero is such a pain. They are cheap but i wouldn't take more than 2 units of them