A start of a scars journey

Hello all,  I am just sharing some pictures of the very beginning of my hobby journey into white scars,   I am avoiding gaming as my community here doesn’t show much interest in the 30k part of warhammer and as for the 40K side they are all hyper competitive.   So I am focusing on the hobby aspect.   

and to start off my journey I have been picking up some 3rd party bits for my army and while I wait for 90% of the bits to show up here is my first bit painted up, I plan on using these banners for character models to help stand them out amongst the other models.

image.jpg

Edited by Deekthegreat

So I started thinking about it and while I don’t have any 30k marines at the moment as I’m struggling to decide which armor mark to use and I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a white scars army I picked up a box of intercessors and fiddled with the helmet and shoulder they’re just resting and not glued on,  in preparation of my 3rd party bits showing up what do you guys think about the shoulder and head swap?      I know mk2/3 is probably best for the scars but I think mk4 would be fine,  mk6 just seems silly for the point in the game I’m picturing in regards to the siege of terra or just before,    I know the scars are viewed as the bikes bikes bikes army but after listening to Warhawk a lot I don’t get the sense that it’s the only way to build them.   

my outlook on this is that this what I hope becomes a large collection over time can dual purpose in 40K and 30k but I’m focusing on the hobby more than gaming so I don’t so much care about what is super efficient and great as I do rule of cool.

2AB3E7D4-D75F-4EFE-98D2-CFD43DB8ED29.jpeg

11B7E284-5936-4787-AFD7-CF5CF09927CF.jpeg

Edited by Deekthegreat

Hello all,  so not much progress has been made, I have received my order from terra to equip my units with some legion markings and to help them stand out as unique amongst the legions/chapters out there in the galaxy.   Excuse my terrible paint job I am still working out the details on how to actually paint white and not screw it up.   Anyways here’s 3 dudes done up with my white scars bits 

these are very much a work in progress and I’m hoping that over time the paint job will improve.   

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Deekthegreat

Here’s the last two members of the squad that I’ve done up with the bits I know they’re not exactly 30k models but I will be adding some of the mk3 and 4 guys soon just have to gather up the bits for them and then the models.   The left shoulder pads are all mk5 armor with a tactical squad marking.    Hope you enjoy the pictures and any feedback as long as it’s not a total slam on my work is welcome.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What's your current method for painting the white armour? It looks like you're starting from a white undercoat then shading the recesses. For my World Eaters I start with a light grey base coat and work up to white highlights (with a shading step somewhere in the middle). It takes a while but has some advantages: the light grey gives more subtle and natural looking shades on the armour plates, and the repeated thin layers give smoother coverage than just the primer alone.

Probably the hardest part of painting White Scars is doing the red details without making a pink mess on the white areas and you seem to have nailed that. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cactus

Good work so far on the white, that's nice and clean and bright, and seems well shaded?

They do look like 40k white scars though, Mk10 armour s really distinctive, I'd get that heresy armour soon!

Don't forget also, that Mk6 was already in production and in limited quantities evern before the heresy erupted, so it's perfectly fine to have Mk6, or perhaps they captured a load from the alpha legion?

The white looks pretty good to me, all the armour details are still picked out and there's some shading to give depth too. I really like the helmets and shoulder pads, but as the others say, MKX is just way too linked to 40k to work it into a 30k project without some heavy conversion work. Looking forward to seeing these guys finished up and some alternative armour .

Yea these are primaris marines,  I did state that in the beginning of the blog.   I was using the right shoulder pad and that is a mk5 shoulder pad.   I’m working on getting some heresy era marines, just hitting a snag in the finances aspect of life.    

I started from a grey seer primer and did a coat of ulthuan grey,  I got a little impatient on a technique I wanted to try and ended up using an all over brown wash then going back up to grey and trying to go to a white.    I have another way to paint white I’m going to try that was recommended by a white scars painter in my local community.   I will post pics of those when I have the models to paint up.   

I do appreciate the feedback and that I don’t feel like I have been screwing up on all these guys.   I apologize for posting these non heresy marines in a heresy thread but I know this thread is very active so 

Will be interesting to see the two styles of white next to each other!

On 9/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, Deekthegreat said:

So I started thinking about it and while I don’t have any 30k marines at the moment as I’m struggling to decide which armor mark to use and I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a white scars army I picked up a box of intercessors and fiddled with the helmet and shoulder they’re just resting and not glued on,  in preparation of my 3rd party bits showing up what do you guys think about the shoulder and head swap?      I know mk2/3 is probably best for the scars but I think mk4 would be fine,  mk6 just seems silly for the point in the game I’m picturing in regards to the siege of terra or just before,    I know the scars are viewed as the bikes bikes bikes army but after listening to Warhawk a lot I don’t get the sense that it’s the only way to build them.   

Always cool to see a Scars army that explores the alternative formations in the army. I really think any armour mark would be appropriate for the legion. MKIV for it's greater manouverability, MKIII for its protection (especially if you're going for an infantry or armoured force) and of course MKII.