Siege of Terra and the next campaign books

Like the title says, I'm wondering where the next campaign books are going. Siege of Cthonia is so close to the siege, I can't help but they are going straight to it, or maybe Saturnine stuff. I feel this would be bad decision... I mean what happens next if they finish the siege ? What do you do next to keep the system alive ? I know they're probably is a couple years before they exhaust the siege but I still feel like it would be a finality to the HH rule set... I mean what do you bring in has new unit for the legions ? the logical answer would be corrupted stuff for the traitor but I think this would be to close to the chaos marine stuff we have in 40k... For the loyalist ? there isn't really anything I could see popping up except maybe special characters ?

I don't think the Campaign books in the past (1st ed)  were in any particular order as far as a time line. It seems GW/FW chooses campaigns and side quests to focus on as they feel inclined.

Even if they did jump into the SoT, they could lean into the Scouring a good bit. Plenty of stories to tell as Chaos gets slowly pushed to the Eye of Terror

My opinion is that they will look in time to add campaign books involving all the Legions including several about the sot, but also following the White Dwarf articles the Dark Angels campaign and desolation of the traitor home worlds, Space Wolves assault towards terra etc

and no doubt back through out the Hersey as well.

They need to finally gives us the mars/titandeath/belt of iron (all or any one) and have a book focus on Mech/Dark Mech.  I know HH is by and large and marine game and that's fine, any and all of these conflicts also include marines and can have characters/units as needed.

But they NEED to remember once every 5-6 books that non marines armies are sold for the game, and those players would like 10 mins in the sun every now and then. 

A book that gives a little limelight to Titans, Mech, Knights with some minis/units/rules/lore to match would be a breath of fresh air.

Feth do tallarn and thrown in some militia/army/solar love.  Couple of hqs, a new tanks, some new units. Like even a 40k kataphron 30k upgrade kit and rules would be nice. Finally release the dunewalker volkite turrer and introduce the tanks into 30k.

But as a long time mech player, after the utter debacle of having no rules for months during launch, i need a little love. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

I'm quite dubious about the rumours that the next book will be another straight up SoH v IF slugfest. For one, it doesn't make much sense when there is plenty of other stuff to potentially tie in with the book to sell.

That doesn't mean they still won't feature heavily though.

On 9/3/2023 at 3:28 PM, bushman101 said:

I don't think the Campaign books in the past (1st ed)  were in any particular order as far as a time line. It seems GW/FW chooses campaigns and side quests to focus on as they feel inclined.

Even if they did jump into the SoT, they could lean into the Scouring a good bit. Plenty of stories to tell as Chaos gets slowly pushed to the Eye of Terror

I doubt they'll go into the Scouring any time soon tbh. But I do think it is likely that the books will jump around a far bit in the 'late Heresy' setting. Similar as to how the old books started out at Istvaan and then moved around in the early to mid-Heresy timeline depending on which Legion needed to be covered. The narrative drive was always 'this event happened as we are slowly building up to the assault on the Solar System', which obviously provided a huge amount of freedom.

I'd really prefer a deep dive into anything but the siege that hasn't already been covered. In particular I'd love a Shadow Crusade book for my own selfish reasons (give me an Aeonid Thiel model you cowards!).

Also, does anyone else agree that if they did a book or two that reprinted the lore and artwork from the original black books they'd essentially be printing money?

9 minutes ago, Casual Heresy said:

Also, does anyone else agree that if they did a book or two that reprinted the lore and artwork from the original black books they'd essentially be printing money?

If you cut out the rules, then you could do 3 of the old blackbook in one pure lore book. Or 2 and keep it sane size. Unless priced to the sky they would very likely sell very well. 

With 9 original black book i could see it being done in 3-4 books. Not a huge investment on either end. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

26 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:

If you cut out the rules, then you could do 3 of the old blackbook in one pure lore book. Or 2 and keep it sane size. Unless priced to the sky they would very likely sell very well. 

With 9 original black book i could see it being done in 3-4 books. Not a huge investment on either end. 

They've even got all the files formatted. Would literally take a day on Adobe Acrobat to splice a few files together into one and then add a fresh imprint page and assign the whole thing a new ISBN. And I'm sure a cover reusing existing art wouldn't take a designer long. Granted, the print files for those books are probably huge, but that's not an insurmountable obstacle. It would take longer to print and ship to the warehouse than to actually pull it together.

If I can manage to do that to make new omnibus editions of terrible romance novels, GW have no excuse!

But back on the topic of current edition campaign books, there is so much material to draw before doing the siege and Fists Vs Sons 2. I'd love to see them explore things like traitors from Loyalist legions and loyalist traitors more than simply a warlord trait. Blackshields and Shattered Legions deserve a deeper exploration as well (though I suspect we're getting an exemplary battles list for those).

On 9/3/2023 at 3:29 AM, Wolf Lord Loki said:

With the release of fulgrim I wouldn't be surprised if the next book isn't about his ascension 

Moloch would be a good location for this and could focus on coruption of kights and militia

That would be awesome, bring in new rules for the plastic knight as well !

6 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

I'd really prefer a deep dive into anything but the siege that hasn't already been covered. In particular I'd love a Shadow Crusade book for my own selfish reasons (give me an Aeonid Thiel model you cowards!).

I don't play shattered legion but I would prefer that has well honestly. Have some rules on playing any legion in non standard configuration for their respective legion 

15 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

The AT campaign books also had excellent lore and nice rules, and came out at a good pace; Munda too. This team can do it, but maybe heresy needs to be a more elite product still with big hq books?

Tbf the AT rules and factions are much more streamlined. 

And like you say, Heresy is a premium IP. 

Tbh the huge elaborate books were a consistent downside for gaming, and life in general tbh :D Much happier with smaller, preferably softback books!

They could go anywhere, and thats good, trying to move chronologically through the war was a doomed effort as soon as it became obvious how slowly that was going, take us to the big hits in book form and leave the minor sideshows and references to 90's white dwarf in exemplary battles. 

Id probably want to have a couple of legions and one of the other army lists focused on in each book theres no shortage of them either.

They really need to hurry up and sort out Shattered legions and blackshields given how little effort that actually entails.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:11 PM, Noserenda said:

They really need to hurry up and sort out Shattered legions and blackshields given how little effort that actually entails.

Aye, this would also be an easy way to give something to Ravens, Salamanders and Iron Hands. A character for each, rules for shattered legions, and set them up against Emperor's Children, as they were quite active hunting them behind the lines, no? Of course Marr was a key figure in hunting the Shattered Legions, but I think we'd riot if Sons of Horus were in the spotlight again....

Somewhat related to this, yesterday they announced a first complication of Exemplary Battles in hardback.

I wish there were more than 5 of them in there though, as the pdf's are quite short on lore.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/07/heresy-thursday-the-most-exemplary-battles-of-all-come-to-print/

5 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

Somewhat related to this, yesterday they announced a first complication of Exemplary Battles in hardback.

I wish there were more than 5 of them in there though, as the pdf's are quite short on lore.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/07/heresy-thursday-the-most-exemplary-battles-of-all-come-to-print/

I can't imagine any of us are not aware of this / already discussing it :) 

On 9/8/2023 at 5:42 AM, Taliesin said:

yeah im a bit weirded out that they would do this but we did get cool legion unit out of those. I just hope they spice up the art in the book with cool representation of unit marking and stuff but I guess that wishfull thinking. SoC was really poor in that matter, I wished they had art of specific inductii markings and unit heraldry like IF with cthonia kill marking...

On 9/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, Noserenda said:

Tbh the huge elaborate books were a consistent downside for gaming, and life in general tbh :D Much happier with smaller, preferably softback books!

They could go anywhere, and thats good, trying to move chronologically through the war was a doomed effort as soon as it became obvious how slowly that was going, take us to the big hits in book form and leave the minor sideshows and references to 90's white dwarf in exemplary battles. 

Id probably want to have a couple of legions and one of the other army lists focused on in each book theres no shortage of them either.

I agree that they should just go wherever they have a cool narrative to tell, I would really like for them to put the same effort they did for the old black book with all the art and cool lore.. SoC was cool and all but hardly worth paying full price for a printed version when its mostly just writing in my opinion

Like the others said Titanicus was really great at that, find my scheme for my knight with this

• 5 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 11:09 AM, Pearson73 said:

Aye, this would also be an easy way to give something to Ravens, Salamanders and Iron Hands. A character for each, rules for shattered legions, and set them up against Emperor's Children, as they were quite active hunting them behind the lines, no? Of course Marr was a key figure in hunting the Shattered Legions, but I think we'd riot if Sons of Horus were in the spotlight again....

This didnt age well, lol