[Poland] Price hike in October!

6 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Any indication on % increase or what products are likely to be upped please?

No clue about amount, probably the usual 5-10%. Basically on everything, as far as I understand, but especially paints and hobby stuff.

24 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

No clue about amount, probably the usual 5-10%. Basically on everything, as far as I understand, but especially paints and hobby stuff.

So this is a GW retail price hike across all their items, say a $60 box may go to $65 after this?

I always tend to think that moaning about prices is sort of pointless (it doesn’t change anything and you either buy the product or not).

That being said, I’ve been skipping a lot of purchases I’d otherwise have made, simply because I looked at the price and thought “nice try, guys, but no”. I can’t believe this is sustainable.

I really hope they get to a point soon where dropping sales force them to go back to the early days of Kill Team/Warcry where box sets where massive deals (because unfortunately, them lowering the price on individual kits is a pipe dream; no one ever lowers the price directly, once they’ve jacked it up).

Edited by Antarius

10 minutes ago, Antarius said:

I always tend to think that moaning about prices is sort of pointless (it doesn’t change anything and you either buy the product or not).

That being said, I’ve been skipping a lot of purchases I’d otherwise have made, simply because I looked at the price and thought “nice try, guys, but no”. I can’t believe this is sustainable.

I really hope they get to a point soon where dropping sales force them to go back to the early days of Kill Team/Warcry where box sets where massive deals (because unfortunately, them lowering the price on individual kits is a pipe dream; no one ever lowers the price directly, once they’ve jacked it up).

Yeah there is no way they lower prices. Instead they could do better boxset deals as you said (but those would still be expensive boxes), increase the number of models per box though that has only limited applicability (so instead of 10 Guardsman they now have 20 per box without doubling the price), they could also not have their yearly price increases for a few years until the relative price isn't as big anymore due to inflation. 

But its still GW we are talking about, they will increase their prices and you will be happy about it. :biggrin:

Edited by Matrindur

9 hours ago, Scribe said:

Man...:cuss:ing no.

I get it GW, with your 'must maintain 70% profit' or whatever the arbitrary value is, but just...no. Look around. Look at the cost of gas, food. Thank Christ I own my home and car.

It was borderline impossible to justify already, this just isnt it.

There’s a zero percent chance they maintain cost-plus pricing when every retailer on earth uses strategic pricing.

8 hours ago, Mechanicus Tech-Support said:

Honestly starting to feel like I did the last time I stopped buying GW products back before Roundtree and we had to deal with Kirby. bleh maybe its time to shut the wallet for another several years 

I am doing. :cuss: them. Terrible quality control with rules despite their resources, pushing products out ASAP, multiple price hikes in a year. I'm already putting my hard earned cash elsewhere after the realease of 10th, so the actual price hike won't make any difference for me. I'll also be sending them a polite but firm email to let them know. On it's own it won't make a difference, but if enough people act it eventually will.

I feel bad for the LGS that will get squeezed at both ends - less profit from what they do sell (and their profits aren't great to begin with on GW) and less sales because of increasing prices.

Edited by Toxichobbit

Details are important here so I'll withhold judgment for now until there's something a bit more concrete.

Needless to say price increases are bad for us as hobbyists but there's a big difference between them sticking the price up on paints and tools etc (which they didn't do earlier in the year and which would be acceptable IMO, if unwelcome), another change to the rate of discount accessible by trade accounts (which is bad for many, including myself, but a huge percentage of hobbyists will be completely unaffected), and another widespread increase to the RRP of kits (which is the worst of the lot as it affects everybody).

22 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Details are important here so I'll withhold judgment for now until there's something a bit more concrete.

Honestly details are not important. Multiple price increases in short amounts of time are never expectable regardless of the reason behind them. GW could easily just eat the extra costs or whatever and they would be fine..

6 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Honestly details are not important. Multiple price increases in short amounts of time are never expectable regardless of the reason behind them. GW could easily just eat the extra costs or whatever and they would be fine..

Details are important as we have the message in unverified from 1 source. Not saying it won't happen but there's not much supporting evidence and we don't know, if true, how much or where yet.

There's an element of 'reading the room' required that is increasingly escaping GW.

I had a group e-mail from an appliance manufacturer I deal with saying 'yadda yadda due to the unprecedented cost of living crisis, we are forgoing our usual 2.5% increase due on October 1st.'

10 minutes later, a private e-mail from my rep said 'yeah, but the april 1st increase is going to be 5% rather than 2.5%.'

Fundamentally nothing has changed - my washing machine will be 5% more expensive on April 1st than it is today, but it sounds good that a big manufacturer can apparently do the world a favour, no matter how hollow the reality.

36 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Details are absolutely important, not least because a change to the prices of products like paint would be the first time that happened this year, so it's not "multiple" changes at all in that case.

I also disagree with the premise that there have been two "price hikes" this year anyway; the RRP of products has changed once. The other thing was a change to the rate of discounts trade accounts can access (and therefore that FLGS can offer).

While that does change the calculation if you use those sorts of retailers (and I do, before anybody starts), for the significant percentage of people who buy direct either because of personal preference or because their region doesn't have a lot of access to discount FLGS anyway, they didn't see any changes. A discount is a bonus, losing it or having it reduced isn't really the same thing as the actual face value price of the product go up. Sure I only get 20% off now instead of 25%, but I'm still paying less than even the pre-March RRP. 

Besides, if the reason for higher prices is increased costs then a business is absolutely within its rights to raise prices to reflect that. The idea that no increase is reasonable ever is nonsense.

Obviously if there aren't increased costs and it's just about increasing margins then that's a different and much less tolerable position, but even then it's not really reasonable of us as consumers to demand that an entertainment business make less money than it could, just because that suits us better. This isn't a supermarket or energy provider where there is a moral component to absorbing some of the costs to keep prices down for consumers so they can actually live their lives; this is toy soldiers. 

36 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

To be honest, they are, depending on who you're dealing with. Army Painter put their trade prices up four times over the course of the 2018-19 financial year for British trade accounts to squeeze as much profit from them before Brexit it. I know a few companies dropped them and started stocking other ranges as a result. In a similar vein, I've watched multiple contractors and goods providers (just about everything under the sun) in the IT space raise their prices, often somewhat dramatically, over the course of the last twelve months. Getting stung on a £70,000ish order from Apple and watching that balloon to over £110,000 in the space of a week through two separate price increases was not pleasant.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt here, as LGS' can be notoriously unreliable when it comes to the information they dish out, but it is incredibly frustrating if true. Having watched everything else increase in price in the UK over the course of the year however I can say it earnestly doesn't surprise me.

"Hey boys we earn more money: What we should do now?

Yes put higer prices, recicle codex covers, make few rule testings, still cutting part of content of the Spanish and Italian codexes becouse i dont know. 

Yes i think its the correct way!"

Im out form middle of 9 ed, i still have minis to build and paint, and i dont play since the end of 8, so i dont know, even when i love Wh40k, im tired of GW.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

To be honest, they are, depending on who you're dealing with. Army Painter put their trade prices up four times over the course of the 2018-19 financial year for British trade accounts to squeeze as much profit from them before Brexit it. I know a few companies dropped them and started stocking other ranges as a result. In a similar vein, I've watched multiple contractors and goods providers (just about everything under the sun) in the IT space raise their prices, often somewhat dramatically, over the course of the last twelve months. Getting stung on a £70,000ish order from Apple and watching that balloon to over £110,000 in the space of a week through two separate price increases was not pleasant.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt here, as LGS' can be notoriously unreliable when it comes to the information they dish out, but it is incredibly frustrating if true. Having watched everything else increase in price in the UK over the course of the year however I can say it earnestly doesn't surprise me.

There is definitely a lot of companies that use any “crisis” to increase prices a lot more than is morally ok. First Brexit, then the energy costs and Ukraine and now the “recession”. 

1 hour ago, Redcomet said:

But all I can say is that my GW purchases have been going down for a while now. While I can afford it, I just don’t think all of their products have enough value for money for me anymore. 

That's it for me aswell to be fair. I can easily afford GW stuff still but over the years it has become a value for money thing. The value isn't there compared to the money anymore in most cases. Coupled with the disillusion over the recent rules for their various games I have noticed that we're just playing different games most of the time rather than playing GW (in our case mostly 30k). It might change with Epic but I'm not sure that will be with GW plastics or more likely with 3rd party prints for all the non AT models. 

I'm going to wait and see exactly what is going up and what isn't.

To be honest, I had been thinking that, having got the 10th Ed rules for free (and that they seemed pretty good), I might buy the Marine dex and try to get back into playing a few games? However, the mess of the Index lists and Points=Power Levels has changed my mind on that, so I think I'll be saving money on anything relating to actually playing the game for the foreseeable future.

That means I do currently have a little more cash available for just buying/building/painting the models that I like,  and focus more on the creative aspects of the hobby.

That said, if the price of everything goes up significantly, I can just as easily put those creative juices into more reasonably priced minis from GW's competitors...

Edited by Lysimachus

If true, I'm pretty much done with GW. Regardless if it is a trade increase or flat increase, trying to justitfy it in these times is pretty absurd. I'm finishing out my Imperium subscription (though just till the Gulliman issue, don't want/need the extra issues) and any further official GW products I get will be gifts. 

I'm planning on getting a 3d printer next year, so any purchase money that I would have put towards GW will go towards that instead. Necromunda and Battletech have been my focuses in the last couple of months, I've got 3 full 40k armies, and controlling my spending more should be good for me.