Unique primaris characters?

3 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

No, you're absolutely right. Expecting some minimal level of creativity to participate in a creative hobby shouldn't be controversial, but here we are. It's particularly maddening with incredibly simple weapon swaps being illegal; even Primaris Marines are incredibly simple to weapon swap for Pete's sake! And that's before we get to stuff like the Hive Tyrant losing deathspitters and devourers because the kit doesn't have them, despite A: the kits having been designed to accept the Carnifex arms, B: the option having existed in prior codices based on the simple expectation that you'd use the Carnifex arms (see point A) and C: Forge World having made separately purchasable devourer arms for the Tyrant, only to discontinue them and then remove the option altogether!

Of course, this all ties into GW's hobby trumpet tactics, hence I'm sure they'd accuse people of "gatekeeping" for saying that, as modern corporate tactics seem to involve trying to smear anyone who dislikes/criticizes their products of somehow being bad people.

Meanwhile GW is over here trying to get rid of the gluing stage.

Also didn't know about the Hive Tyrant stuff being removed. A bit sad to hear, as those "conversions" always looked really cool. A tyrant with 4 guns and wings seemed like a special type of bioform evolved for purpose.

And back before plastic we did have a lot more metal MTO bits. I never really took advantage of it as a kid, but it was a pretty neat system.
And so many White Dwarf armies had those rhino extra armour kits.
I don't think I ever saw any in person but I always relate them to the time you could order metal.

This kind of thing.

image.thumb.png.2765e72b57048e65563478f8bdbd09b6.png

Edited by JayJapanB

18 minutes ago, JayJapanB said:

Meanwhile GW is over here trying to get rid of the gluing stage.

I have on more than one occasion had nightmares about GW switching to models being (not especially well) pre-painted on the sprue, meaning that to any hobbyist not willing to have their model look like it belonged in a THIN YOUR PAINTS compilation video, you had to strip the damn things fresh from the box! Let's hope GW doesn't quite go that far.

And yes, I too remember the days of mail-order metal (and plastic) bitz. Admittedly I came into the hobby at the tail end of it, but I remember White Dwarf advertising separately-available metal Killa Kan limbs, orc shields for WHFB and the like. Happy days...

(That Rhino looks fantastic! If they weren't so damn expensive nowadays to get in decent condition I'd absolutely nab an old Mk1 Rhino.)

36 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

I have on more than one occasion had nightmares about GW switching to models being (not especially well) pre-painted on the sprue, meaning that to any hobbyist not willing to have their model look like it belonged in a THIN YOUR PAINTS compilation video, you had to strip the damn things fresh from the box! Let's hope GW doesn't quite go that far.

And yes, I too remember the days of mail-order metal (and plastic) bitz. Admittedly I came into the hobby at the tail end of it, but I remember White Dwarf advertising separately-available metal Killa Kan limbs, orc shields for WHFB and the like. Happy days...

(That Rhino looks fantastic! If they weren't so damn expensive nowadays to get in decent condition I'd absolutely nab an old Mk1 Rhino.)

Haha, that reminds me of a youtuber (Eons of Battle) making his suggestions for GW

Stickers instead of transfers. Cos transfers are too hard.

Metal for specific parts like tails "so you can bend them".

Actually some of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Nobody put him anywhere near Nottingham.

Found that Rhino on google images, went to the page it was from and apparently it sold for $40! That would be insane for that condition with all those parts. Or at least it seems insane to me.

12 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

I always enjoyed running mailorders through the till, calling "the trolls" and having to read through the part codes for them, all whilst the customer looks on with excitement.

I really do wish GW would return a bitz system, honestly it seems like a no brainer - they could even base it on 3d printing and just have the best quality printers available, people would buy them.

Personally they should have used the primaris transition as a great way to cull some old characters and bring some new ones in. 

As an Ultramarines fan, I would of happily put Calgar on the chopping block now Gman is back.

Personally, i think all first founding should have a specific Chapter Master and a Chief Librarian. 

10 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

Personally they should have used the primaris transition as a great way to cull some old characters and bring some new ones in. 

As an Ultramarines fan, I would of happily put Calgar on the chopping block now Gman is back.

Personally, i think all first founding should have a specific Chapter Master and a Chief Librarian. 

I think all the armor types should have each of the generic characters - Cap/CM, LT, Libby, Chappie etc.  and they do that by selling a generic character in X armor kit, and a chapter upgrade kit.  They can then create assorted chapter specific characters by creating a profile, and assembly instructions (to make it "official") saying to take X armor kit, and Y parts from the Chapter sprue to make Captain Somebody Special from the ABC Marines. 

18 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

Hmm perhaps. I think all these characters serve a different purpoise.

Looking at the Black Templar, everyone should probably be asking for more. There is no reason why every 1st founding chapter cant have a selection of characters and a unique unit or two.

I'd like to see some new characters, or updated Primaris models of old characters, now that the Rubicon Primaris is in full swing (not that we lost a single named character to implant failure anyway...). 

Unfortunately, GW didn't really simplify the SM army the way they should have, which means the massive bloat is still there and that is a major complaint for a lot of players. 7 datasheets for Captains, 5 for Lieutenants, 5 for Librarians, and 5 for Chaplains with the only difference between them being what armor they are in (and the Primaris/regular version). 22 datasheets for, technically, 4 different characters. It would have been simpler to give each armor/movement type (Regular, Primaris, Terminator, Gravis, Phobos, Bike, Jump pack) a specific set of bonus in a separate datacard. So you have a Captain datacard, then go to the "Captain's Armory" datacard to look up what bonuses you get for say, Gravis armor (+1T, -1M, Leader for X, Ability X). Probably could condense it from 22 datacards to 8, if you needed 2 cards for 3/4 different types. 

Regardless of my personal opinion on their bungling of slimming down the SM list, because they still have such a large list I can't see them adding in more unique characters at the moment. Possibly updating the models of old characters, like Lysander or Vulkan He'stan, to Primaris versions I could see- its a way to sell some more models without having to do any real rulebook work. But brand-new characters are unlikely at this point.

Given that they’ve removed granular points as a consideration for units in the game, GW should be able to easily implement a “Build Your Own Hero” attachment for a unit called “Chapter Master”, “Captain”, etc., and let people pick what they want their heroes to be - they wouldn’t have to balance point costs for them any more, so the auto-include options don’t matter as much.  You could have a whole host of “Relic Armory” options that you can swap for, and there’s no need to concern anyone with balancing points for those.  Then you just need a list of names and gear load outs, and let the heroics for all Chapters begin!  Folks could probably make near any hero they’ve heard of that they want to have, and GW doesn’t have to shell out a load of development time or models (although some additional modeling options for a base Captain would be very nice).

They most likely won’t do it though.