Trouble with paying new grots?

dees

Ladz I needz some advice.  Today I payed a new Crons grot and the game went very…poorly to put it nicely.  He has played 8 games with them in 10th but is still very green to the game. 

We played 2000 points.  His list was lots of immortals, lichguads, skorpects (sic) with giant swords, the dooms walker thing, doom scythe, and tomb blades, reanimater, and a lot of leaders.  

I had Mozrog, 2 Beastbosses, Nob on Smashsquig, warboss, 3x10 beast snaggas, 10 nobz with PK, 2 gretchen, 2 kommandos, 3 mekgunz, 6 Squig hog boyz, and 4 trukks. 

To not make this not to long he had first turn and moved forward towards my lines from setting up as far forward as he could.   I believe he lost the game here, as it gave me a first turn charge.  He killed 2 trukks, some kommandos, and wounded Mozrog for 3 wounds.  On my first turn I moved up, shot one unit of lichguard off the table with mekgunz and bomb squigs.  Then I made all my short ranged assault rolls but for the squig riders.  The Bosses, beast smaggas, nobz and Mozrog and trucks hit home and killed everything they they could swing at.  

I called the Wagghhh! On turn 2 and after he lost even more in his turn he…retreated back the tomb world. 

He was upset and I can’t blame him, I have had games where I get krumped into the ground too and is sucks.   I tried to tell him I knew the game was frustrating for him, and I offered to talk to him about how to start better.  IMO his list was ok, but he need to set up away from me and use the CC units as protector instead of vanguard assault units.  He didn’t want to talk so I left it at that. 

How have any of you handled or balanced the teaching vs playing with newer players?  I didn’t use strats, or upgrades and wasn’t tying to smash him, but it happened.  I tried to talk to him about what he was doing and how to pick targets, and what it would take to kill stuff when he was shooting. 

Comments, criticisms and suggestions are always welcome. 

It's tricky, especially when people won't listen. We have at least one of those at my local club who lose often, but don't really take on too much advice. My comment would be to weaken your army against them, or if you have enough time for the game, tell them out loud what you plan to do if they make that move - like "you just moved a key unit into range of my super death guns, I'll blast them off the table in my turn" or "the 11" charge is unlikely, I'll overwatch you then shoot you in my turn" etc. 

I've found that this in-game coaching works a lot better than dissecting after the game, when they're probably tired and their ego is bruised.

You can even do it in a jokey way like "Muhahah! Yesss, advance your leader into my gunline so I can execute them like a dog!". People tend to get the gyst when you tell them exactly how you'll punish their mistakes. 

The only downside to this is if you play tactically yourself and present them with multiple bad options, you can give conflicting advice and they end up more confused than before. If they're new, I'd go easy on them, not use the most hardcore units (IIRC those beastbosses were horrible to fight in 9th?) and give them a chance.