Australians still like and support GW

MegaVolt87

Australians still like GW

The price hike thread is closed, but this post I feel grew beyond that, and more OT, I think it deserves a topic on its own. Its been frustrating over the years at the dismissive attitudes of many people online about the Australian Warhammer community. I have seen my more chill fellow Aussies caught in the crossfire of more, lets just say divisive figures in socials. We all are not a godless band of re-casters, 3D printers, bash every GW product and be rules/ codex pirates. I buy legitimate FW products at our “regional price”, I support my LGS if they can get the product I want in stock. I don’t hate every new release GW has. I know not everything is for me or to my taste and I can see who it caters to. GW makes things they think people want to buy, have seen a market for with the more business oriented part of the company- surprise I guess?

I have a business background, while not as strong as others on this board I feel qualified enough to address such business related issues GW has, like the knock on effects of price increases to our community. Its Poland's turn this time apparently, anyone is fair game  for the inevitable next one though. 

GW is facing a lot of problems for a while now. Supply chain issues, production related issues, problematic company community engagement on socials, price increases in the current state of the economies where it operates the list goes on. All of these things combine into a perfect storm, the announced price hikes couldn’t have come at a worse time or be more tone deaf. Other corporations have faced these issues and managed them far more competently. GW is one of the corporations that has not.

For Australian customers, these issues have impacted us greater than other regions. GW is somewhat aware, as the last price increase was not applied to the Australian market. Australia has long suffered under regional pricing for years in general. GW’s response to this has been to instead implement draconian trade restrictions on third party sellers, taking away a key feature of capitalism- market competition. GW sold these measures as protection to regional retailers and more organized stocking which benefits its regional markets. What has happened is, local LGS lose trade because of inconsistent stock fulfilment. Customers come to a local LGS, the owner can’t give a commitment of when an item will be in stock and they lose a sale. Its not uncommon for an Australian LGS to have new releases delayed if they are in the same area as a Warhammer store by weeks or even months in some cases. This was before their current stock issues, so it is now much worse, with GW cancelling store orders. Ordering older stock, its not uncommon for GW to split store orders, those were shipped promptly (again slower delivery if the LGS is near a Warhammer store). So, ordering both old and new stock has worsened further. I don’t know if retailers are receiving a cash refund or it’s a trade credit, I guess that would vary by arrangements per store. Many LGS operate on a shoe string, not every LGS store owner(s) is business minded, I would like to think and hope GW pays back the cash if requested, rather than generating a trade credit for unfulfilled/ long delayed orders.

TLDR for this next part- Even with paying the correct taxes, GW products are more often cheaper shipped here to Australia from overseas.

Price increases are a reasonable expectation, though are exacerbated due to mentioned factors. Markets run on supply and demand. Any retailer has an opportunity to make more profit there. Direct only items from GW have always been a hot topic in the community and LGS. I was finding discounts on direct items at certain LGS's, other fraters also have on this board as well. Not the full 20+ percent, but it is there, but admittedly not a common occurrence, hence the debate on the existence of Direct Only product item discounts in the wider community. Discounts on new products and more available products are no surprise. Compare discounts on new items vs older products that take longer for any retailer to stock. The retailer can maximizes its revenue by selling new stock at a big discount, older ones at little discount or RRP, or vice versa. LGS more commonly do this with new stock vs old stock. An Australian LGS has to leverage this in excess of what is normal by stocking the newer products at the highest discount they can handle to discount, while older stock is either less discounted or at RRP. This lack of stock puts a glass ceiling on Australian LGS earnings on GW products compared to their counterparts in other regions. Most LGS internationally could not survive on GW products alone, but due to having the stock, they lose far less sales. Again stock is an issue everywhere, but its worse in the Australian market.

How are Australians saving money with their weak currency? Well, If an item has little discount here in Australia or at RRP, and the same item has a higher discount overseas its often worth the extra hassle to ship here. While the gap did close when legislation passed to make GST mandatory on online purchases, the gap has begun to widen again as Australians are seeing better savings overseas for goods and services that offer discounts, better currency conversions etc, vs the same goods and services at our regional pricing dystopia.

What can we do about it? Not much honestly. Personal choices such as organized budgeting do help. Myself, I am far more selective with what I buy. If it’s a new release I want, I will pre-order it before it rotates to “old product” status with a lower discount. That’s the best time to buy from an LGS and support your store. GW has been getting less of my money than they used to, they could be getting more but that’s up to them.

-By MegaVolt87

Pretty solid summary. Typically all of my hobby supplies (paint etc), and non-gaming stuff (badges, pins) are bought at GeeDubs, but pretty much all my models are purchased online, typically from the UK as it's cheaper, even after postage.

I support my GW store as much as possible. Known my local guy for nearly 10+ years from other stores. But i do find myself ordering from shops like Combat Company & Frontline etc if they have the stock I want . Im a painter not a gamer, so was a little shocked to hear that GW are no longer allowing painting or gaming tables in their stores except for the larger stores. Seems this was all planned before Covid. So not sure what this will have on the little shops & my shop is small & he has 2 other non GW shops to compete with. 

Issues i have with GW is their web site. 

a) if something in Australia is sold out but is readily available in the UK etc , too bad unless i go through a 3rd company who can purchase things from GW for me . We have not had a Land Raider delivery since earlier in the year. They could put a button in to say that Ok if you really want it & its available in the UK proceed with purchase if you are happy to wait 30 40 or 50 days & it can come in with their new stock or resupply. 

b) If something is sold out on their web site after some time, people will doubt its available at the stores or unless they are in an area where they pop into their local store & the store person may look up for the area but not the whole Sydney area from what I understand. What they should do is make it that you could look up stores in a certain postcode area & the computer tells you its available on their web site. But i've been told that their inventory system is really  2 or 3 systems that are not linked. 

I fear that if the re supply issue is not fixed then people will order from overseas hence cutting out the GW stores & cutting their sales or that if people walk into say a Goodgames store & ask the person whats readily available then they will be directed to Marvel or battletech style table games. 

About me , I build just about anything 1/700 ships, Star Wars , 1/72 tanks & aircraft etc but something about GW I like 

28 minutes ago, AndrewInOZ said:

They could put a button in to say that Ok if you really want it & its available in the UK proceed with purchase if you are happy to wait 30 40 or 50 days & it can come in with their new stock or resupply. 

The "Email Me" button kind of performs this function, I was also recently informed it also acts as an unofficial queue, and peeps on the email list get first dibs. 

I'm Australian and haven't bought anything direct from GW for over a decade. The price here is bull :cuss: , there's no denying that. All the stuff I buy are from 3rd parties. Either miniature stores selling with a discount (sadly cutting into their own profits) or second-hand models from things like Ebay. 

I play Guard and only Guard, started back when 3rd edition first dropped, and I cannot see how new Guard players are expected to afford this hobby today. A box of 10 guardsmen is $84 AUD for 10 models and 60 points on the TT. About $60 with a good discount. That's minimum $600 for 100 models. 

Back in 3rd you could get a box of 20 Guardsmen for $50 AUD directly from GW, or about $35 with a good discount from a 3rd party. That's minimum $175 for 100 models. Just look at those 2 values, $600 compared to $175. It just speaks for itself. 

Edited by jarms48

The comments on my videos are filled with Aussies who have sworn off ever buying direct from GW.  You can support them but it appears that there are growing numbers of people who simply cannot afford to any more. 

For example even a GW staffer with their 50% discount is only saving £20 on the age of darkness boxset compared to me buying it from element games (£127 vs £148) which is mad. 

At this rate i question the motivation of aussies who are still supporting GW, its clearly not a healthy relationship. 

I'll tell you mine. Spite. Pure and simple.

Now, I know that's a weird reason to support GW. Even I, one frequently accused of being a corporate boot licking white knight, have found a great many choices of GW to be just plain moronic, and the prices certain don't win any points for me. Yet I will only buy official GW models (Sorry, I ain't giving up my Tamiya paints). Not recasts. Not 3d prints of officially available models. And not pirated books.

This is not necessarily to support GW (although shoutout to my local Warhammer store manager for being an awesome bloke) but rather a reaction to the nay sayers I frequently have to deal with. The type of person whose models are all recast or 3d prints and rule books are all pirated, and then all they do is complain about literally every aspect of the game. I legit don't know why they even take part in events or even casual gameplay because I have never heard them having fun.

I have fun. I enjoy 10th (for the most part). I enjoy the product, so GW is entitled to my dollarydoos.

Well I love GW models but not the prices( I am allowed to say that right :laugh:)  The OP has it about right, I only buy from my FLGS, I've not been to the local GW in years(Oakleigh) I have been to the next further store (Cheltenham) once or twice as the manager is a very friendly & helpful lady (the opposite of the closer GW)

If I had only GW to buy from I would probably not buy GW products and switch to another gaming system I have never bought recasts or pirate books, I respect GW as a business but not their pricing in general... maybe it's because in years past it was more balanced... I baulk at paying the cost for a clam pack of a single character for example, I have never bought a marine in a clam pack ,I'd rather buy a box of 10 and convert a character...

M.