2 x 5 Grey Hunters in a Rhino?

Filius
Go to solution Solved by Karhedron,

Hjolda!

I'm quiiiiite far away from being a serious or even regular player of 40k, but … you just can't play without list building, so I think about it every now and then. And I do wonder if it's allowed and/or a good idea to put 2 Squads of 5 Grey Hunters in a Rhino. I would be 10 OC 2 firstborn with (in my case) 4 Gravguns to hunte enemy tanks (or those damned blight drones and plagueburst crawler in my case). Sounds like an okay idea to me, but I haven't seen it any lists, so I wonder if there are any particular reasons, why this might be a bad idea … (before I built and paint another five Grey Hunters, hehe).

Thanks in adavance for any help!

• Solution

It is a decent (if slightly short-ranged) option. Grey Hunters are one of the cheapest OC2 units available and as long as you do not expect too much from them. The only problem with Grav Guns is that they are only AP-1 so may struggle to get through armour, even if they wound well.

However infantry-portable anti-tank is in short supply considering that melta is usually only wounding on a 5+ now so 2 Grav-guns per squad is actually one of the better options available.

Agree with Karhedron. Grav Guns having AP -1 sucks, but it can still be a viable option. As far as legal, yes it is. You're not limited to the number of units in transports, only number of models. Something I've been wanting to do is 2 squads of Eliminators with Las Fusils in an Impulsor. Turns the Impulsor into a mini gunboat.

Thanks a lot! I just took a look at the saving throws of those damned  blight drones (3+) and plagueburst crawlers (2+) … hmm … sound's like I should think about the Grav-Guns a bit. Anyhow: I already built and (almost) painted one 5 man squad of them, so I think, I'll give the try in a Razorback at least. Let's see, what they can do, hehe …

2 Grav guns vs MBH = 4 shots, 2.67 hits, 2.225 wounds after applying 2 damage and 4+ save.

2 Grav Guns vs PBC =  4 shots, 2.67 hits, 1.4833 wounds after applying 2 damage and 3+ save.

2 Melta guns vs MBH  or PBC at 6 - 12" range = 2 shots, 1.33 hits, 0.44 wound giving 1.04 after applying D6 damage and 5++ save.

2 Melta guns vs MBH  or PBC at <6" range = 2 shots, 1.33 hits, 0.44 wound giving 1.6 after applying D6+2 damage and 5++ save.

So Grav guns have the edge in terms of both range and damage over meltaguns when targetting vehicles with a 5++. However Melta looks a bit better when targetting units without an Invulnerable save. They also work well against Monsters where Grav is far less effective.

Edited by Karhedron

On 9/8/2023 at 5:09 PM, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

I personally have been running 2 Grey hunter units with melta and generally liking their usability. I put mine in 2 razorbacks for the reroll to wound when they get out. But definitely viable in a Rhino I would think.

Indeed, as access to razorbacks is now quite limited, getting the possibility to use them thanks to Grey Hunter squad size starting from 5 is a great opportunity. For me it is a almost a Must Go.

Edited by Bouargh
tipos & thick thumbs

13 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

Indeed, as access to razorbacks is now quite limited, getting the posibility to use them thanks to Grey Hunter squd size starting from 5 is a great oportunity. For me it is a almost a Must Go.

Why is access to Razorbacks limited?

1 hour ago, Filius said:

Why is access to Razorbacks limited?

Because they can only transport small squads of Firstborn models. Tactical Squads are now fixed at 10 models so cannot ride in RBs. This limits them to Devastator squads and Command squads pretty much now (maybe one or two others).

Grey Hunters still come in squads of 5-10 meaning they are one of the few (maybe the only) Battleline unit that can still ride in a Razorback.

3 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Because they can only transport small squads of Firstborn models. Tactical Squads are now fixed at 10 models so cannot ride in RBs. This limits them to Devastator squads and Command squads pretty much now (maybe one or two others).

Grey Hunters still come in squads of 5-10 meaning they are one of the few (maybe the only) Battleline unit that can still ride in a Razorback.

Oh, really … I hadn't noticed that until now. Thanks for pointing out!

Ive been writing up a list using multiple 5 man squads of grey hunters (my army is still very much based around firstborn/5th ed rhino rush, and it feels wrong to me to have a space wolves list with no grey hunters, so I always take them).

Being able to take a unit of 5 of them means you get 2 squads in a rhino or 5 in a razorback, both good options IMO (razorback getting you rerolls on meltas makes them much more reliable)

Also worth a mention is the WG pack leader, he'll fit in a razorback or rhino alongside the squad, combi/powerfist is a nice option to add some oomph to the squad, and if using the space wolves detachment (i know i know....but its something I'm trying to do), allows a squad to use the strat which unlocks a saga for the turn....the nice one in my mind here being OC3 (effectively making that 6man unit OC18 for a turn).

My main issue at the moment is deciding between rhinos or razorbacks.

I theory crafted a list with 6 units in 3 rhinos. With the pack leaders included (3 max) that comes to about 800pts, which isnt too bad for that much potential board control. And theyre not shabby in a fight either as all have chainswords, BG, BP, and special weapons out the wazoo.

Edited by DanPesci

@DanPesci … ouh … I love to hear that. I hadn't noticed the Fire Support Ability of the Razorback yet. Thanks for pointing that out. And while I looked at the index card I also just realized, that the Razorback is a Dedicated Transport, so I can take more than 3 of them, yeah! I currently have 2 Rhinos and 2 Razorbacks. But I "only" have 15 Blood Claws and 5 Grey Hunters, yet. I'll build another 5 Grey Hunters with Meltas soon, and I want a pack of Long Fangs, too, which still leaves some room for more Firstborn, yeah …