Out of the stasis chamber..

Wolf Lord Duregar

Hi guys, doing  my traditional stroll through The Fang, like every decade.. ;)

I´m still in the hobby, just not really into 40k, or atleast not any recent edition.. I am knee-deep in Mordheim and 6th Ed Warhammer Fantasy (waiting a little curios on The Old World..) - but I cannot forget my first and biggest love - the Space Wolves..

I will reach a point where I want to model and paint some again - - maybe even play (not played since 4th Ed..). But it is all very confusing. I am aware of the primaris, but not much more. May I be a bit lazy and ask some questions?

What do i need to be able to understand what I can model, build - for current Space Wolves? I might build some real old stuff for 2nd Ed  and play that, but i also want to keep up with the current stuff, make Primaris Space Wolves..

Do we have some unique Packs, some modern versions of Grey Hunters, Blood Claws and Long Fangs - Wolf Guards and Wolf Scouts? Or do we share the same things with the lesser Chapters? ;) What do i need to get, book-wise to get it all?

As I am a bit clueless, I have actually considered making old-skool lists just using Primaris-models, Wolfing them up..  But if we are a bit unique still, with more close combat-y Packs, perhaps that is a better idea to go with.. The flow? make some legal, current force+

We see you, Wolf Lord Duregar, and welcome you back to the Fang.  Fenrys hjolda!  Pull up a chair around the fire, pour some mjod, and join us in the tale telling…

We’re still waiting on the 10th Edition Codex to see how it is going to affect the Space Wolves structure - from 9th Edition, the only unique unit the Space Wolves had was the Hounds of Morkai, which were just fancy rules for Reivers.  Right now, there aren’t any other unique Space Wolves packs in the Primaris line up.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Arguably the Wulfen were the first primaris scale space wolves. But I won’t talk about their dark 10th Ed fate here.

GW designed the primaris line to be basic and to allow chapters to add their own flair. So although we don’t have primaris grey hunters, blood claws, etc. it’s common practice to use those units and just paint them and add bits to make them their appropriate firstborn equivalent- Intercessors paint with grey hunter markings, assault Intercessors with blood claw markings etc.

10th edition may be when divergent chapters get their due. It is rumored dark angels will get primaris scaled terminators with their upcoming release. We may expect something similar. Maybe a basic wolf pack unit or Thunderwolf cavalry or something 

Ah ok - I had expected more Primaris stuff, unique, for the Wolves by now. Ah well. But I can still model traditional Packs like you say! that is actually not a bad idea - better-looking traditional Wolves...
I might pick up some of the old plastics too (wish the 3rd Ed sprue was around too for even more options..) - as i feel the urge to play some 2nd Ed again and it feels better with those bases sizes, though it doesn´t matter that much, now, does it? Frindly games and all..

There were some new Primaris Scouts coming? Would be fun to make into some spec ops Wolf Scouts..

Do we have any rumours about what will be released soon-ish, Do.. Dark Angels you say?? Damn.. Ah well, get the traitors out of the way I guess..

:cool:

Edited by Wolf Lord Duregar

2 hours ago, Wolf Lord Duregar said:

Do we have any rumours about what will be released soon-ish, Do.. Dark Angels you say?? Damn.. Ah well, get the traitors out of the way I guess..

A chap by the name of Valrak has given some fairly detailed release notes for the next 6 months. He has been right on the money recently for the last year or so, whoever his source is, they have the real news. He correctly revealed the Arks of Omen stuff, the 10th edition release box and the new wave of SM and Nid minis. At the moment, I consider a rumour from Valrak to be only 1 step down from an official GW announcement.

The new Space Marine Codex is coming around the end of the month and will feature new Scouts, multipart versions of the new Terminators and Sternguard, new assault Marines with Jump Packs and the new "Heroes of the Company" command squad. After that, Dark Angels are coming out next Spring with lot of new Treminator variants for Deathwing and the first rescaled special character in Terminator armour (BelialL.

Beyond Dark Angels, we have no reliable info, My personal guess is that GW will revamp Blood Angels (pun intended) using the new Assault squads as a basis for further Jump Pack units. I honestly don't know if or when we will get any new Primaris Space Wolf units. The Hounds of Morkai are just Reivers with and anti-psyker rule. Kinda fluffy but only effective against a few armies.

Fortunately, we have access to the full range of new Primaris units which means it is very easy to make some cool looking units by grabbing some wolfy gubbins from your bits box and sticking them all over the Primaris squads. Do not worry about the lack of the old 3rd edition sprue, the current Space Wolf infantry sprues are absolutely brimming with spare decorative bits. You can build a very cool squad of Grey Hunters, Blood Claws or Wolf Guard and have enough bits left to decorate several squads of Primaris. Here are some units I hae wolfed-up starting with simply adding a wolf wolf tails up to full conversions.

gallery_82363_15236_435245.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_426537.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_363574.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_157203.jpg

gallery_82363_15236_99713.jpg

large.20230304_222244.jpg.dfff43b197e0ba

I think the Primaris definitely look better Wolf-ed up with bits and modifications to breastplates, etc.  It is still fairly easy to use things like the Wolf chainswords and bolters (can be bolters/bolt carbines, depending on how you want to use them) on the basic Marine arms from the new scaled kits.

Thanks guys!

Ah, so the dress-wearing Traitors next huh? Fair enough.. And iirc the vampires also often get attention before us tooa as well as the medieval ones.. Ah well..

;-)

Thanks for the pcis! Looking good. Ah yeah, the wolf-bitz avaible aren´t bad, just would have been nice with even more..! :D

Land Raiders fly these days? What the heck! lol.. Looking cool though. I´ll pick some basic stuff up I guess, the bolter-Primaris, some wolf bitz and some hero and startmodelling!

Edited by Wolf Lord Duregar

Welcome!

For me the old (First Born) Space Marine arms are too small on the Primaris Marines.  Take a look at the DeathWatch box, they have slightly fatter arms and work better from a Scale Point of view, also they have some nice weapons you can wolf up.

This is a Primaris Reiver, with a Thunder Hammer from the DeathWatch set (with a First Born Blood Angles Head).

Reiver Pack Master 1-9.jpg

Reiver Pack Master 1-10.jpg

6 minutes ago, Wolf Lord Duregar said:

Land Raiders fly these days? What the heck! lol.. Looking cool though. I´ll pick some basic stuff up I guess, the bolter-Primaris, some wolf bitz and some hero and startmodelling!

Yeah, Land Raiders are looking pretty good these days after years of languishing. T12 and a 2+ save is pretty sturdy, 4 Lascannons give them decent anti-tank firepower of their own and the transport capacity and Assault Ramp rule make them quite tasty.

I like the classic Godhammer pattern as it lets me pull double-duty as a tank destroyer but we can also make good use of the extra transport capacity of the LR Crusader with our big squads of Blood Claws. 

I've been running a land Raider, and I love it this edition.  It really hangs in there unless they have some serious anti tank (which is pretty limited these days). I was chasing it with an iron Priest but I wasn't getting the mileage out of the healing. If they are gunna kill it then they will kill it in one turn. It's not worth the 3 wounds of healing.

I have found the Iron Priest going Super-Saiyan with his Tempest Hammer is actually surprisingly effective if his tank gets squished. For 60 points he can buff the shooting and dish out some hurt in melee. The D3 heals are practically just a bonus.

Ah yeah, there is way too few bitz on the Space Wolf Primaris sprue..  Really need other sources that can be wolfed up.. Thanks for the pics..

Land Raiders have wounds these days?? Well, i know they do, I just haven´t played since they had AV..  So weird..:biggrin: But was actually on that floating thing that looks like a Land Raider.. I am pretty clueless about most Primaris sh.. Stuff.  Need to elarn..

If you can get a hold of it, the Blood Claws Pack is still the best value for the amount of Wolf bits you can get - you won’t necessarily use everything (although you can press-mold things like leg & breastplate icons) to make Primaris scale Space Wolves, but it’s a great place to reboot if you don’t have a massive bits collection to dive back into.

The two smaller Wolf upgrade sprues have nothing on that kit (although I snagged a couple of both those as well - value of bits/sprue continued to fall as we got closer to Primaris).

No I sadly don´t have any bitz left.. But that´s okay!

Hmm, will those old models be around much  longer - like, non-Primaris stuff? And when we get a new Codex - perhaps we get a new or additional Primaris sprue?

I love cutting up and converting with plastics but i am garbage with green-stuff, sadly, lol..

17 minutes ago, Wolf Lord Duregar said:

Hmm, will those old models be around much  longer - like, non-Primaris stuff? And when we get a new Codex - perhaps we get a new or additional Primaris sprue?

It is a good question. Attack Bikes, Landspeeders and a few other options disappeared recently with no warning. If you want any Firstborn kits, it might be worth getting them sooner rather than later - just in case....

The SW Primaris sprue is pretty disappointing IMHO. It adds a bit of flavour but nothing particularly impressive. If we get a Primaris range refresh, I hope it would be at least as good as the recent Black Templars sprue (if not better).

games-workshop-black-templars-upgrades-a

2 hours ago, Wolf Lord Duregar said:

Ah, land Speeders and Attack Bikes are gone? A little sad..

Indeed. I have enough for my armies but I will miss them. On an interesting note, GW issued an official statement about how to proxy them. For example, if you wish to keep using attack Bike models in official tournaments, you can count them as ATVs. Now there was never anything to stop anyone doing this in a friendly setting but the fact it is tournament legal has kinda blurred the lines between Firstborn and Primaris to some extent.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/24/space-marine-range-update-bikes-land-speeders-and-more-are-soon-zooming-off-into-the-sunset/

Yeah sounds like it..

I have actually started to make and play older editions - for both 40k and WHFB (6th Ed is my love!). Quite alot of people here are "shocked", how can you not play the latest?? But I don´t have to!:cool:

And I have some other old buddies not playing any longer, as they don´t have stuff - but they can play with my, and my stuff. I don´t mind that. I am even planning some "new" 2nd Ed forces..

But i am also interested in modelling and painting some Primaris..  And I might even try more recent rules, hehe.