SW life post dataslate (autumn 2023)

TiguriusX

Rumors among the competitive wolves are that TWC are about to make a massive comeback.

Now that devastating wounds can only kill a single model the TWC have a strong defensive profile for the meta (6+ models with T6 W4 and 4++)

The super combo for players who don't know is as follows

-WGBL has a rare out of phase ability to move d6" and allows movement into engagement range

-You can also do a squad tactics move before the shooting phase for another d6" (or flat 6 if you were in tactical doctrine)

This means you can potentially YOLO your TWC through a kill zone and avoid the majority of enemy fire using out of phase movement (6 + d6 inches of reactive movement and end up in engagement range to deny any further shooting)

SWs I spoke to are going all in with this idea and suggest a minimum of 12 TWC in your army

I have never been a TWC enthusiast but will give it a test and report back

This would be great! As ridiculous as they are TWC is the most amount of "furry" wolves I can tolerate and they were a mainstay in my lists in 6th edition. 

Would love to start running them like I used to!

What other feedback did you get from other SW players? Are they thinking full mobility alongside the TWC with units in Impulsors as well? I'm only hoping because I had an idea for mobile SWs back in the middle of 9th and bought 3 Impulsors to use with assault intercessor (blood claws) and ragnar :laugh:

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

The game is definitely different than it was 2 weeks ago. I’ve got two critiques that may hinder the success of 12 TWC. The first being if there’s a lot of terrain those would be large units to move around. Also assault isn’t in the best spot right now. This is a shooty edition. We will see if the changes to devastating wounds helps too the scale.

maybe 3x3 with a battle leader in each squad would be more maneuverable. 

I have been using a 6 man blob with Captain and Lt. And I haven't found them too unwieldy on the table top. I have been thinking of moving the Captain to a lt and putting him in another squad though. As the one has been working well. So I'm glad to hear that the current thoughts align with this plan.

Yes, i was already running 12 in 9th and upgraded to 18 in the beginning of 10th. Now its time to shine!

I also love to ad a wolflord to one of the units to give a free lance ability.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 5 competitive games in using TWC now

I HATE their base size and inability to navigate around terrain.  The biggest negative for me so far

I have tried and failed to use them as an offensive tool

-I can't stage them properly and get them in striking range without being attacked first

-They don't hit hard enough to remove actual threats

TWC do have their uses though.  And IMO it is counter intuitive and took me a while to figure out 

TWC best role is a reasonbly cheap tanky objective taker/holder

TWC need to be on objectives in the open you don't want anything else to touch and TWC need to run down enemy chaff to take objectives away when possible

With OC 2 TWC can mess up enemy turns if the 4++ storm shields roll hot

Another unit I am testing is Morkai Hounds with a phobos libby attached...they aren't bad 

Against non psykers you still have a lone operative type unit capable of putting 40 melee attacks on their target

Against actual psykers this unit is insane

The anti psyker 4+ and dev wound mean psykers just die to the buckets of mortals

I just finished a game against nids and my anti tank couldn't pop anything but the hounds or morkai sliced through even the biggest monsters with ease

Oath put 20 devastating melee wounds through on a norn emissary (T11 2+ save) that had already shrugged off 2 separate TWC charges (nids have armor of contempt and I was -1 to wound so nothing punched through)

For defense the hounds have 4++ against psychic attacks and a 4+++ FNP against psychic wounds thanks to the phobos libby

They absorbed the entire nid army shooting an entire round 

I lost the hounds but no other unit took damage and I dominated primary for that turn

I still havent found an army combo I like in 10th yet.  

I'm starting to prefer special rules over weapon profiles though

Things like the morkai hounds and stern guard veterans don't care what the enemy has

Roll the anti + dev wound combo and you absolutely drop targets

Same with aggressors + biologis and bolter discipline combo

AP 1 (or AP2 with storm of fire) is good enough when you push all the wounds through

I have officially shifted away from hell blasters (better gun profile) for the aggressor combo

5 Hounds and a Phobos librarian in an Impulsor is a little rolling death cart for characters and psykers. The Impulsor itself puts out a lot of shots outside 12" bubble, even if the Hounds don't, so you can strafe the enemy as you close in or skirt around them before you swoop in to mop up the rest.

3 hours ago, Triszin said:

thought of pairing a invictor with the hounds? (for the shooting ability on the invictor to protect phobos)

It would be counterproductive with the Phobos librarian in there--they couldn't be targeted more than 12" away, so anybody further away will concentrate fire on the suit. Now if you had Incursors and carbine-armed reivers next to the suit, it might work. Always considered that a nice-to-have ability rather than something to build around.

I am testing a  wulfen squad of 4 hammers/shields + leader with claws in my next 1000pts game. They are not killy but for 80pts you get good movement with 4++ inv save followed by 6+ fnp and 5 toughness to harass my opponent lines targeting light infantry units. I am waiting to see the rest of the white scars detachment which looks promising for wolves.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, TiguriusX said:

I have officially shifted away from hell blasters (better gun profile) for the aggressor combo

How were you running the Hellblasters? I've only played one game with them, but I loved them. I'm thinking of running them in an Impulsor with shield. Impulsor takes all the initial mortals, then when it finally pops they can jump out and keep gunning.

10 minutes ago, Apokalypsi said:

How were you running the Hellblasters? I've only played one game with them, but I loved them. I'm thinking of running them in an Impulsor with shield. Impulsor takes all the initial mortals, then when it finally pops they can jump out and keep gunning.

10 hellblasters

Primaris LT with melee wargear and bolter discipline enhancement

Dev doctrine you have sustained hits on 5+

You also auto wound on 5+

I would reserve them unless map had great terrain to stage behind

They could kill whatever they shot at but usually provided nothing more

Another player told me use the librarian for 4++ instead b/c he felt it forced the opp to commit more to kill them and gave better targets for firing on death

However, the team I'm on is sold on the biologis + bolter discipline + aggressor + LR redeemer combo instead so I'm going that way