Weapon loadout for inceptors and redemptor dreadnought?

Powderfinger

New player here that is building and painting a custom SM chapter using the Dark Angel combat patrol as my foundation kit.

Zero games played yet.

I've  got the chaplain and intercessors(I equipped them with the auto bolters) built and painted.

Next up are the 3 inceptors and the redemptor dreadnought - so before I start to glue stuff, what is considered the most effective weapon loadout for these units?

(fwiw I'm new and don't know if I want to mess with magnets quite yet. Baby steps...)

Edited by Powderfinger

Meta change all the time. Build what ever you think is coolest. 

If you chase the meta you will be in for a bad time. 

Thematicly then dark angels like plasma so for that reason they probably fits best. 

Right now there is not that huge of a difference between the different loadouts they can have as far as i know.

56 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

Meta change all the time. Build what ever you think is coolest. 

If you chase the meta you will be in for a bad time. 

Thematicly then dark angels like plasma so for that reason they probably fits best. 

Right now there is not that huge of a difference between the different loadouts they can have as far as i know.

Rule of cool, i get that, but  I figured I could avoid potential WYSIWYG headaches by slapping on the most effective loadouts to begin with.

Also, I bought the Dark Angels box(and will play combat patrol as DA by default) because the collection of units in the kit looked nice, but my custom chapter isn't necessarily going to be DA affiliated as I continue to build out my army. I plan to experiment with different SM chapter playstyles and stay flexible as I learn the game.

Edited by Powderfinger

The plasma on both units fulfils a similar role. They do 2 Damage in basic mode which is great for clearing out Marines and other 2 wounds infantry. In overcharged mode, they do 3 Damage which is enough to wipe Terminators or even threaten vehicles at a pinch. If you want them both to target similar units then Plasma is a good option.

If you want to mix and match, then I think the Assault Bolters on the Inceptors are better than the Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon on the Redemptor. The Assault Bolters get Sustained Hits 2 and 2 Damaged which is actually really good for clearing out infantry, even Marines. The HOGC just gets Devastating Wounds.

Just personally I would build Bolter Inceptors and Macro Plasma on the Dread with the smaller Gatling Cannon on the fist as a secondary weapon.

The Redemptors Heavy Onslaught/Macro Plasma is very convinient in the fact that you don't even need to magnetize it in order to swap loadouts, so I say "both". Just don't glue the weapon to the socket (you'll see what I mean when you assemble it.)
As for secondary weapon, I'd always opt for the regular Onslaught over the Heavy Flamer on the fist. It's just plan better in most cases.

As for Inceptors, currently I'd say Assault Bolters, but there's nothing really wrong with Plasma either. There's just something so satisfying (and at the same time, infuriating) with Sustained 2. 

I have 6 of both kinds of Inceptors and they both have targets they are better at. Plasma for elite troops Bolter for horde. Plasma is a little better against vehicles but not by a substantial amount. Over past couple editions I actually think Bolter was a just a tad better in most games but the Plasma looks a lot cooler. 

Thanks guys, lots of good info here. 

I'm probably going to opt for a versatile/flexible approach with Assault Bolters for the Inceptors and non-glued Macro Plasma (with the option to swap - big thanks to Minsc for the tip) plus the secondary Onslaught for the Redemptor.

Edited by Powderfinger

Both inceptors are highly useful and make great hunters and spoilers. I prefer plasma but then I like harder hitting toys. I think with the new dex coming out in a few weeks(?) it would be worth waiting and seeing what if any changes are made before buying and assembling new units that arent push fit.

14 hours ago, Galron said:

Both inceptors are highly useful and make great hunters and spoilers. I prefer plasma but then I like harder hitting toys. I think with the new dex coming out in a few weeks(?) it would be worth waiting and seeing what if any changes are made before buying and assembling new units that arent push fit.

Yeah that makes some sense but I'm not sure if I'll have the patience to wait for the codex - I'm in a decent flow with my painting right now, they are the only models I've bought that aren't painted yet, and the combat patrol is otherwise ready to go. (and I still haven't played a game yet)

Btw I notice your handle says that you are in Orlando...small world(insert Disney joke here), I live here as well (near UCF/Winter Park)! Maybe we can chat or meet up for a game at some point if you are willing to help a new player learn 40k. Crucible Questcon is also here in a few weeks if you plan on checking that out. I'll send you a PM.

Edited by Powderfinger

For inceptors, both options actually work really well. It just depends what your list needs more - I personally like the extra volume of shots on the bolt pistols.

As for the Redemptor - I prefer the Plasma Cannon, Fist with Gatling, Storm Bolters and the missile pod.